Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
I don't think grounding your generator to a ground rod will make a difference. In a normal house supply the ground and neutral are tied together in the electrical panel but not in the generator (not mine which is a Yamaha) So either you bypass your PI surge protector on your remote display or you need to do an adapter. See attached.
Thanks fonzie !
There was no attached. Do you have a link to an adapter ?
__________________

__________________
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
I attached a file in post #7 and I can see it...you don't? Here it is again.....you need adobe acrobat reader to open
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Special Generator Pigtail Instructions.pdf (132.6 KB, 57 views)
__________________

__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
I attached a file in post #7 and I can see it...you don't? Here it is again.....you need adobe acrobat reader to open
Oh,I'm on an I pad,will check with desk top, Thanks again !
__________________
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Rolling, if you look at the attached boliy generator service manual, you will see that the ground and neutral are not connected together on the unit. That creates a floating neutral. Even if the generator is grounded to earth, there is still no referenced point for the PI and it shows and open ground. I just use the by-pass on my PI instead of the adapter. In a normal supply, the ground and neutral are tied together in the electrical panel and also grounded to mother earth. Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf boliy service manual.pdf (328.2 KB, 21 views)
__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Rolling, if you look at the attached boliy generator service manual, you will see that the ground and neutral are not connected together on the unit. That creates a floating neutral. Even if the generator is grounded to earth, there is still no referenced point for the PI and it shows and open ground. I just use the by-pass on my PI instead of the adapter. In a normal supply, the ground and neutral are tied together in the electrical panel and also grounded to mother earth. Hope this helps.
Thanks fonzie ! Using the bypass worked,so I too will stick with that.
__________________
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
raytronx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 23
Nice little article explaining the problem and an easy solution.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Cheers Ray
__________________
Full-Time RVer, loving the life.

raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytronx View Post
Nice little article explaining the problem and an easy solution.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Cheers Ray
Thank you Ray !
I think I can do THAT,probably with stuff around the garage.
__________________
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81
I'm Mike Sokol, the author of the No~Shock~Zone article about Ground-Neutral bonding (thanks for posting it, Ray).

I've confirmed that this neutral bonding jumper plug works with the engineering staff at Progressive Industries, as well as "off the record" with Honda technical support. And as noted previously on this thread, "grounding" your generator with a ground rod in the earth will do nothing to correct this problem, and it's not really a safety ground at all. Nope, all safety grounds must connect to the ground-neutral bonding point, which as I've indicated in the linked article above, DOES NOT EXIST on many (most?) small portable generators. My simple G-N bonding plug will only cost a buck or two and take 5 minutes to make. Just be sure to jump from the Green (Ground) screw to the White (Neutral) screw on the Edison plug. The Neutral blade is the "taller" one in an American outlet.

Please send this link to anybody you know using a portable generator to power their RV: Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
No Shock Zone
__________________
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
Rolling buckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
I'm Mike Sokol, the author of the No~Shock~Zone article about Ground-Neutral bonding (thanks for posting it, Ray).

I've confirmed that this neutral bonding jumper plug works with the engineering staff at Progressive Industries, as well as "off the record" with Honda technical support. And as noted previously on this thread, "grounding" your generator with a ground rod in the earth will do nothing to correct this problem, and it's not really a safety ground at all. Nope, all safety grounds must connect to the ground-neutral bonding point, which as I've indicated in the linked article above, DOES NOT EXIST on many (most?) small portable generators. My simple G-N bonding plug will only cost a buck or two and take 5 minutes to make. Just be sure to jump from the Green (Ground) screw to the White (Neutral) screw on the Edison plug. The Neutral blade is the "taller" one in an American outlet.

Please send this link to anybody you know using a portable generator to power their RV: Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Mike Sokol
mike@noshockzone.org
No Shock Zone
WOW ! Thanks !
I purchased the plug,today,and will wire jumper,and try it out tomorrow !
And yes, Thanks again Ray !
__________________
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Mines not an inverter gennie and not small either.
I still learned something new today.

My gennie used to have a floating neutral 240/120 plug but has been changed to a standard rv 120/ 30 amp plug only.
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.