Old 05-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #51
Originally Posted by smkettner View Post
It is my opinion that the resistor does not create a hazard and possibly is safer than the copper bond.
But with all due respect, electrical safety isn't about opinion. It's about scientific testing and gathering empirical data, then getting peer review from other engineers and electricians. There's way too much "opinion" on the Internet and not enough testing. I personally will design and setup a full-scale generator/RV bonding experiment and try both copper and resistor bonds, then measure the results for electrical shock hazards. I'll then run this by my personal group of electrical engineers around the country, and we'll all put our minds to interpreting the results. I'm pretty sure nobody else will go through this much effort to confirm a theory.

If anybody has schematics or diagrams to support or refute the safety of copper G-N bonds, I'm all ears. I'm not 100% sure of all of this until I finish running experiments this summer, but once I do there will be a formal statement and proposal to the RVIA and NEC about how this should be addressed in future code.

jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #52
This is very interesting since I too recently installed the PI 50a hardwired unit in my trailer and am planning on picking up a portable genny at some point. Please keep us posted and thanks for your efforts.

2010 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel 34SATS "The Beast"
2006 Ford F350 Lariat 6.0L Diesel
2003 Harley Heritage Softail "Hogzilla"
1988 Harley Softail Custom "The Fireman"
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #53
Originally Posted by jmsokol View Post
I'm not trying to sound flip about this, just that any recommendations for generator and RV grounding issues need to be backed up with schematics, equations, experiments and peer review of the results. Everything I write about has already been through that process.
Here is an equation.

120v, 100,000 ohms = 1.2 milliamps. GFI trips at 5 milliamps so I presume 1.2 mA is a non issue. Actual N-G potential is 60v RMS so even less current.

It is not about making the generator power safe, just tricking the EMS without significantly modifying the generator circuit or creating a hazard.

If the peer review expresses concern about the resistor creating a hazard then by all means post what you find.

smkettner is offline   Reply With Quote