Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #11
I did it and added a thin line of clear silicone sealer top & bottom, then put a very small screw in the center top & bottom. Has done very well all season so far.

2005 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW 6.6 D/A
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE
EXGMTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
Site Team
That's what I was talking about but didn't know what to call them. Thanks.

2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Reese Revolution Pin, Reese 16K
2008 Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #13
I did both doors in our XLR by cutting it to fit inside the groove and then sealing both sides with black silicone to keep it from rattling and to keep water out. After 2 years that way we have had no problems.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #14
I bought a sheet of Pecan at Lowe's and since I had my exact measures they cut the pieces for me for free. One sheet was enough to make both the top and bottom pieces.
2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed
Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover
Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball
LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote
6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard
Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #15
I installed plexiglass 3 years ago. one of the best mods I`ve done. I used stainless screws. I drilled and tapped holes and then used some thin foam weatherstrip to seal it. it looks like it was built this way and I have way more light coming in! I can take one or both off in a minute.
02 Ford Excursion V-10 4.30 gears 5 Star Tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar Rear Airbags
Prodigy and Dual Cam
07 Cherokee 32B
Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #16
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We did this exact mod also - however, the heat on the door when closed and exposed to sunlight when awning is closed has caused the velcro glue to let loose in some areas is still intact just sagging some
our vinyl "storm door" has experienced the same problem, the velcro on the vinyl has let loose but not so much on the door frame,... I've also discovered that the vinyl sheet does shrink, but oddly enough, in only one direction,..... I cut that same vinyl sheet to protect our table top, a perfect fit, but over time(6-8 months) it shrank in one direction(1/2"-3/4") and is not a perfect fit now,.... that shrinking has also contributed to pulling the velcro glue loose on our "storm door",....

so, I'm ready to try something different,.... and the plexiglass or Lexan seems like the best alternative,..... we are not looking to protect the screen from a pet and are more interested in the "glass storm door" effect, so I want to try applying it to the outside first, .... since the original velcro is still attached fairly well to the frame, I think I will cut the pg to the full screen door size, attach w/velcro and see how that turns out,.... if that doesn't work, then the pg will still be large enough that I can still cut it down to the inside groove size, and do that install later,....

unless I've misunderstood the posts I've read here, all of them are using the pg on the inside,..... has anyone put the pg on the outside, if so, how did you attach?.... are the results good?...... there is a step down edge(not a groove) on the outside around the screen, did you fit it inside that stepped down area?....... any advice or wisdom from your own experience on this idea is appreciated,..........
2015 Micro Lite 25KS
2015 F150 CrewCab
days camped: (2014....207) (2015....140) (2016....37, so far)
fella10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #17
I put ours inside the door frame. Took the door apart and cut it to fit inside the groove that's already in the door. That way it looks like it was suppose to be that way not added to the inside or outside of the door frame.

the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote