Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Plexiglass in screen door?

Has anyone installed plexiglass in their screen. I tried it but doesn't stay put very well.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Does this help?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tip-69378.html
Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Yep.... Thanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes. I added a sheet on the bottom panel after pooch scratched the screen. It can be cut to fit in the side slots, bow it and slip it in, but, I'm still trying different ways of keeping the center from rattling when the door is closed. Tried Velcro, nope. Tried small screws, nope. Thinking of making two little thumb latches that rotate up and down to lock it in place.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #5

That's a great idea!
Old 08-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #6

I used the gasket from the screen just rolled it into the channel. I used sandwich type screws on bottom for rattle and bowing. I went went with tinted plexi you can get it at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 AM   #7

We don't have dogs, so we have no need for the plexiglass to protect the screen, but I did cover the outside of the screen door with the thickest vinyl sheet that WalMart had on the rolls in their fabric dept., its much lighter than plexiglass..... held in place by a Velcro border, it serves the same purpose as a full glass storm door at home........ we can leave the trailer doors open all day, enjoy being able to see outside and yet don't loose any heat or air conditioning. ... with the Velco we are able to remove it if ever desired, but over a year now and have never found it necessary to remove it,.... I've done that mod on both our 25KS doors, we love being able to have the doors open and not worry about loosing the ac or the heat, just like our glass storm doors at home...........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #8

I use clear mirror clips to hold the plexiglass in place. They are offset and the thinner end goes in the door groove with the thicker end against the plexiglass. Works great and they are not noticeable. The company called Anchor makes the clips. They come with screws you don't need.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
We don't have dogs, so we have no need for the plexiglass to protect the screen, but I did cover the outside of the screen door with the thickest vinyl sheet that WalMart had on the rolls in their fabric dept., its much lighter than plexiglass..... held in place by a Velcro border, it serves the same purpose as a full glass storm door at home........ we can leave the trailer doors open all day, enjoy being able to see outside and yet don't loose any heat or air conditioning. ... with the Velco we are able to remove it if ever desired, but over a year now and have never found it necessary to remove it,.... I've done that mod on both our 25KS doors, we love being able to have the doors open and not worry about loosing the ac or the heat, just like our glass storm doors at home...........
We did this exact mod also - however, the heat on the door when closed and exposed to sunlight when awning is closed has caused the velcro glue to let loose in some areas ....it is still intact just sagging some

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

I had one of my German Shorthairs try to go through ours one night when I let them out before deb. He must have seen the light on inside and not realized the screen door was closed.

I had a piece cut to size by our local ACE Hardware. I went larger than the screen and screwed it to the outside. They don't damage the inside. They are pretty good dogs, but when he went trough it last time he wedged it so bad I had to unscrew the door from the hinge, open it to the inside and then get it out. Not much damage, I just had to replace the lower screen which I had replacement material in the garage.

It is secured by a screw in each corner and a screw in the middle of each side. The last time we were out the younger one (10 months) tried to do the same thing and she bounced off!
Goodyear Endurance Tires
Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #11
Toy-aholic

I did it and added a thin line of clear silicone sealer top & bottom, then put a very small screw in the center top & bottom. Has done very well all season so far.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
Site Team

That's what I was talking about but didn't know what to call them. Thanks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:42 PM   #13

I did both doors in our XLR by cutting it to fit inside the groove and then sealing both sides with black silicone to keep it from rattling and to keep water out. After 2 years that way we have had no problems.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:07 PM   #14
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I bought a sheet of Pecan at Lowe's and since I had my exact measures they cut the pieces for me for free. One sheet was enough to make both the top and bottom pieces.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #15

I installed plexiglass 3 years ago. one of the best mods I`ve done. I used stainless screws. I drilled and tapped holes and then used some thin foam weatherstrip to seal it. it looks like it was built this way and I have way more light coming in! I can take one or both off in a minute.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We did this exact mod also - however, the heat on the door when closed and exposed to sunlight when awning is closed has caused the velcro glue to let loose in some areas ....it is still intact just sagging some
our vinyl "storm door" has experienced the same problem, the velcro on the vinyl has let loose but not so much on the door frame,... I've also discovered that the vinyl sheet does shrink, but oddly enough, in only one direction,..... I cut that same vinyl sheet to protect our table top, a perfect fit, but over time(6-8 months) it shrank in one direction(1/2"-3/4") and is not a perfect fit now,.... that shrinking has also contributed to pulling the velcro glue loose on our "storm door",....

so, I'm ready to try something different,.... and the plexiglass or Lexan seems like the best alternative,..... we are not looking to protect the screen from a pet and are more interested in the "glass storm door" effect, so I want to try applying it to the outside first, .... since the original velcro is still attached fairly well to the frame, I think I will cut the pg to the full screen door size, attach w/velcro and see how that turns out,.... if that doesn't work, then the pg will still be large enough that I can still cut it down to the inside groove size, and do that install later,....

unless I've misunderstood the posts I've read here, all of them are using the pg on the inside,..... has anyone put the pg on the outside, if so, how did you attach?.... are the results good?...... there is a step down edge(not a groove) on the outside around the screen, did you fit it inside that stepped down area?....... any advice or wisdom from your own experience on this idea is appreciated,..........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #17

I put ours inside the door frame. Took the door apart and cut it to fit inside the groove that's already in the door. That way it looks like it was suppose to be that way not added to the inside or outside of the door frame.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door