Old 08-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #1

Plexiglass in screen door?

Has anyone installed plexiglass in their screen. I tried it but doesn't stay put very well.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #2

Does this help?

Screen Door Tip

Old 08-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #3

Yep.... Thanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Yes. I added a sheet on the bottom panel after pooch scratched the screen. It can be cut to fit in the side slots, bow it and slip it in, but, I'm still trying different ways of keeping the center from rattling when the door is closed. Tried Velcro, nope. Tried small screws, nope. Thinking of making two little thumb latches that rotate up and down to lock it in place.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:01 AM   #5

That's a great idea!
Old 08-14-2016, 12:05 AM   #6

I used the gasket from the screen just rolled it into the channel. I used sandwich type screws on bottom for rattle and bowing. I went went with tinted plexi you can get it at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-14-2016, 01:17 AM   #7

We don't have dogs, so we have no need for the plexiglass to protect the screen, but I did cover the outside of the screen door with the thickest vinyl sheet that WalMart had on the rolls in their fabric dept., its much lighter than plexiglass..... held in place by a Velcro border, it serves the same purpose as a full glass storm door at home........ we can leave the trailer doors open all day, enjoy being able to see outside and yet don't loose any heat or air conditioning. ... with the Velco we are able to remove it if ever desired, but over a year now and have never found it necessary to remove it,.... I've done that mod on both our 25KS doors, we love being able to have the doors open and not worry about loosing the ac or the heat, just like our glass storm doors at home...........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:20 AM   #8

I use clear mirror clips to hold the plexiglass in place. They are offset and the thinner end goes in the door groove with the thicker end against the plexiglass. Works great and they are not noticeable. The company called Anchor makes the clips. They come with screws you don't need.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
We don't have dogs, so we have no need for the plexiglass to protect the screen, but I did cover the outside of the screen door with the thickest vinyl sheet that WalMart had on the rolls in their fabric dept., its much lighter than plexiglass..... held in place by a Velcro border, it serves the same purpose as a full glass storm door at home........ we can leave the trailer doors open all day, enjoy being able to see outside and yet don't loose any heat or air conditioning. ... with the Velco we are able to remove it if ever desired, but over a year now and have never found it necessary to remove it,.... I've done that mod on both our 25KS doors, we love being able to have the doors open and not worry about loosing the ac or the heat, just like our glass storm doors at home...........
We did this exact mod also - however, the heat on the door when closed and exposed to sunlight when awning is closed has caused the velcro glue to let loose in some areas ....it is still intact just sagging some

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
Old 08-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #10

I had one of my German Shorthairs try to go through ours one night when I let them out before deb. He must have seen the light on inside and not realized the screen door was closed.

I had a piece cut to size by our local ACE Hardware. I went larger than the screen and screwed it to the outside. They don't damage the inside. They are pretty good dogs, but when he went trough it last time he wedged it so bad I had to unscrew the door from the hinge, open it to the inside and then get it out. Not much damage, I just had to replace the lower screen which I had replacement material in the garage.

It is secured by a screw in each corner and a screw in the middle of each side. The last time we were out the younger one (10 months) tried to do the same thing and she bounced off!

Days Camped '17 - 0

Dr-G is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door