Old 05-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Portable AC

With the hottest part of our 11 month long South Texas summer approaching, I'm looking at supplementing my roof top unit with a portable ac. My roof top unit struggles during the daytime hours and the park we frequent has no shade trees to park under. I also like the idea of having a back up in the event that the roof top goes down. My plan is to position it in my bunk house which receives a lot of heat from my outside kitchen's fridge. I plan on running a separate circuit to the portable unit that I can connect to the 20 amp pedestal outlet. Has anyone had luck with a particular brand or number of btu's? Features? How did you vent the unit? I'd also like to hear from those using portables in your house. What brands/btu's are working for you? Any help would be appreciated.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #2

Will your roof not accept another AC unit? I live in SE Texas and when I got my 5er I had two ACs for the same reason that you want another one.

2011 F250, CC, RWD, Longbed, diesel
2012 V-Cross 275, fiver

Old 05-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
With the hottest part of our 11 month long South Texas summer approaching, I'm looking at supplementing my roof top unit with a portable ac. My roof top unit struggles during the daytime hours and the park we frequent has no shade trees to park under. I also like the idea of having a back up in the event that the roof top goes down. My plan is to position it in my bunk house which receives a lot of heat from my outside kitchen's fridge. I plan on running a separate circuit to the portable unit that I can connect to the 20 amp pedestal outlet. Has anyone had luck with a particular brand or number of btu's? Features? How did you vent the unit? I'd also like to hear from those using portables in your house. What brands/btu's are working for you? Any help would be appreciated.
You may also want to consider the condensation the A/C will remove from the air. Some of the portable units can produce considerable amounts of water in high humidity. If the unit has an auto cut off when the drain pan fills, you might have to tend to that to keep it up and running. Or consider a way to let it run outside of your unit.
2016-(32) 2017-13
BombDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
Will your roof not accept another AC unit? I live in SE Texas and when I got my 5er I had two ACs for the same reason that you want another one.

2011 F250, CC, RWD, Longbed, diesel
2012 V-Cross 275, fiver
No, the only roof vent is located in the bathroom and I don't feel completely comfortable cutting a hole in the roof to install a unit. It sure would be nice to have the unit on the roof and out of the way though. I guess I could keep the bathroom door open but I don't know if the DW would care to see me reading the newspaper every morning! Has anyone cut their own opening to install a rooftop unit. How difficult was it?

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombDoc View Post

You may also want to consider the condensation the A/C will remove from the air. Some of the portable units can produce considerable amounts of water in high humidity. If the unit has an auto cut off when the drain pan fills, you might have to tend to that to keep it up and running. Or consider a way to let it run outside of your unit.
Good point. The units I've been looking at will remove the condensation through the vent hose. Otherwise I would be afraid to leave it running while away from the TT.

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 05-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

My 30WRS Work and Play Toy hauler is 30 amp single A/C also, I have thought about picking up a portable A/C at Home Depot and putting in the garage during the summer and running an extension cord to one 115 volt outlets on the pedestal. The garage has two side vents, or the roof vent that could be use for exhausting the hot air.
I just have found one that has a condensation water drain pan like a humidifier has, I'm not about to drill a hole in the floor for a drain line.
Anyone know a brand, store, or an on line sales store that sells a portable A/C with a condensed water catchment drain pan?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #7

My 30WRS Work and Play has three roof vents, but adding a second A/C on the roof is a problem because the RV is only wired for 30 amps, and it would be way too expensive to up grade to 50 amp service.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroadking View Post
My 30WRS Work and Play has three roof vents, but adding a second A/C on the roof is a problem because the RV is only wired for 30 amps, and it would be way too expensive to up grade to 50 amp service.
That's where running a separate circuit from the newly installed AC directly to the outer wall of the RV and then connected to the 20 amp park outlet makes sense. It will in no way impact your 30 amp service.

Equalizer E2 Hitch
Old 05-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesroadking View Post
My dealer offered to cut the new hole in the roof, provide the AC unit install & upgrade my service to 50 AMP for $1500.

I too was wondering about the portable units until I talked to out dealer

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
My dealer offered to cut the new hole in the roof, provide the AC unit install & upgrade my service to 50 AMP for $1500.

I too was wondering about the portable units until I talked to out dealer
Doesn't sound to bad considering a 13.5 Dometic will run you around $700.00. Getting the 50 amp service would be added benefit.

awwall is offline   Reply With Quote