Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Think you may have something here, been wondering what and how to do the same thing, if you have some more photo's, shoot them to me, might try it on the Crusader.
The Check Valve for my condensation fix came in wrong from RV Country, sending the correct one tomorrow, everything else looks great.
kickster
Remind me tomorrow and I will take some more pictures. It's raining now or I'd do it now. Have to go to Lowes in the morning and get the material to make another awning lock for delivery to Goshen.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #22

Awning Cover

Did see somewhere that another awning manufacturer had something that covered the entire awning when rolled up. Thought that was a pretty good idea, never looked into the mechanics of it, but interesting idea.
thanks. No more brake fluid tonight, I have a headache from all the rain and thunder we just had, poor cat, he is hiding in a closet somewhere.
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Remind me tomorrow and I will take some more pictures. It's raining now or I'd do it now. Have to go to Lowes in the morning and get the material to make another awning lock for delivery to Goshen.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #23
Mod free 5er

Getting another downpour, so the testing continues.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Did see somewhere that another awning manufacturer had something that covered the entire awning when rolled up. Thought that was a pretty good idea, never looked into the mechanics of it, but interesting idea.
thanks. No more brake fluid tonight, I have a headache from all the rain and thunder we just had, poor cat, he is hiding in a closet somewhere.
Kick
My Silverback 5W awning has a full cover over it.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
My Silverback 5W awning has a full cover over it.
Dometic sells a replacement awnings that the material is attached to a hinged metal or vinyl cover. I think it is called a weather shield.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #26
Mod free 5er

Got a 5" rain last night according to the rain gauge and the awning was dry. Now in about 30+ days we'll see how it works on the road.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #27
Mod free 5er

Finally painted them and here are the pictures taken this morning just before it started raining again. May take a heat gun and take some of the curve out of them. Just haven't decided yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning cover close up.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	35079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning cover exposing hinge.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	35080   Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning cover stowed.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	35081   Click image for larger version

Name:	LH Awning cover hinge.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	35082   Click image for larger version

Name:	LH Awning cover.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	35083  

Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #28

Good Job

Looks as if they were store bought, good job, think I will give that a try, as soon as it quits raining again, maybe tomorrow. working on lubing up the coach bearing today.

Quote:
Finally painted them and here are the pictures taken this morning just before it started raining again. May take a heat gun and take some of the curve out of them. Just haven't decided yet.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 07-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #29

Thumbs up Great Idea

Now a couple of questions.
What is the influence at either end, of the camper not being completely level?
Does rainwater creep into the rolled up awning by capillary action? Would there be any benefit to designing this to cover the entire awning?

Do you find any water intrusion at the stitching where the seam meets the mounting rail? I ask this because it appears our awning has had water leaking not only through the stitching but also into the layer of fabric between the vinyl. Which has caused a somewhat permanent mildew type stain.

Thanks again for the great idea!
ET
KA1VCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA1VCQ View Post
Now a couple of questions.
What is the influence at either end, of the camper not being completely level?
Does rainwater creep into the rolled up awning by capillary action? Would there be any benefit to designing this to cover the entire awning?...
Regardless of how level the camper is, the water goes into the ends depending on the direction from which the rain comes. As for running it the entire length of the awning, it is 6" pvc pipe and would be quite heavy and I doubt the motor would be strong enough to lift it. I don't know if it will stop all water intrusion, but so far, with all the rain we've had here in the last few weeks, it has remained dry after each rain. I took the lh end off last night to re-shape it and paint it and of course it rained. Opened the awning this morning and it was wet on that end. Don't guarantee they will work, but it sure looks promising.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #31

Quote:
TOWTA and I have wondered that ever since I installed our first awning in 1975 as to why would anyone design an awning with the white exposed all the time. Why do ALL the dummies making awnings don't just reverse the material and put the dark section at the camper and the white down on the roller. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!
OC: The newer Surveyors with all the black trim and accessories actually come with an awning that shows only black when rolled up. Of course, that only hides the problem.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #32
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
OC: The newer Surveyors with all the black trim and accessories actually come with an awning that shows only black when rolled up. Of course, that only hides the problem.
Dometic sells them with aluminum wrap also, but to get the replacement it is pretty costly. Us po' folks got's to do what we can afford.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #33
Mod free 5er

Got the mod finished and installed. Flattened the curve a little and had to split the front one to utilize the end cap. Not too pretty, but hopefully it will work also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00392.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	35155   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00393.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	35156   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00394.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	35157  
Old 07-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #34

Awning Bubbles

Our original awing on the Crusader developed bubbles on the under side. Could not have been caused while it was actually rolled up, so it had to happen on the next to the last outing we had when the rain was tropical in quantity. When we returned home and after the awning had been rolled back up, the bubbles somewhat disappeared only to return again in the next rain. With that said, it was determined that the fabric at the top next to the camper roof had in fact separated allowing the water to seep in between the two layers of fabric. Was told there had been a rash of these lately.
Awning has been replaced an all seems to be fine at this point and we have been through two terrible rain storms since.
kickster
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 07-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #35

End Covers

Looking forward to see this in person, like the installation very much, pretty straight forward..
kickster

Quote:
Got the mod finished and installed. Flattened the curve a little and had to split the front one to utilize the end cap. Not too pretty, but hopefully it will work also.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #36
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Looking forward to see this in person, like the installation very much, pretty straight forward..
kickster
If they survive the tow to Goshen, have no idea how they will react on the road.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #37
Mod free 5er

In anticipation of them flopping while towing, I just drilled holes in both to facilitate tying them down in a couple of weeks when we head to Goshen.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #38

We'll... How'd they work out?

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #39
Mod free 5er

They worked great, never flopped around while towing and have kept the awning dry. Came thru a torrential rain storm of about 30-45 minutes on I 40 coming home and when we stopped for the night, I unrolled the awning and it was dry, so they are doing the job intended.