Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
Got mtn bike?

Power Awning, add a room verses winds

I'm working out my 2 weeks notice and I'm looking at going "full time" for several months (if not longer)

On my 2012 RockWood 2904 SS I have the Dometic 1900 Power Awning.

And I'm checking into what all is involved in adding a room similar to this.

I'm needing to store several things (mtn bikes, hiking gear, tools, ect..) outside of the camper, but also out of the weather and thought it would give Spartacus a little bit of "outside" area but be in confines of the "camper".

But my main questions is......
As for the extended awning is there a good and non damaging way to secure it to hold up to high winds?
Which by meaning high winds, it could range from simple wind gust to thunderstorms.

To me, it doesn't appear that the power awning can be tied down like the manual awnings that have the "legs" that can be detached from the camper and firmly placed on the ground.

I wonder if could make some kind of telescopic pole with a cradle for the awning roller to be secured too and then have the pole tied down so there would be no pulling pressure on the awning.
Does what I'm trying describe make any since?

As for securing the "add a room" I have no idea on how to secure it.

I guess if nothing else I can just forget the power awning/add a room and get 1 or 2 pop canopies with sides?
ddavis662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
Got mtn bike?

I'm sure someone on here has a special way that they secure their awnings from high winds?
I know on my 07 Orbit, I would extend the manual awning, then tie the awning down around the roller.
But on this electric awning, that method looks like it wouldn't work due to it not having the angled lower brackets
Old 06-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

See this thread re: Tie-down options
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...not-20167.html
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel702 View Post
See this thread re: Tie-down options
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...not-20167.html
Thanks! I knew there had to be a thread about this subject, I guess my search was to way off.

And this is exactly what I was was thinking about.
This guys mod looks like it just might work.

power awing tie down - Power Awning Tie Down System

He needs to upload this idea to instructables.com
Old 06-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Ours worked flawlessly thru the 4 days & nights of the storms in Orlando. One fellow offered me $100 if I would take them off and give them to him or he would wait until 3 am and just steal them. I am now going to build him a set when we get back to Concord and send them to him in FL. May make 2 or 3 more sets just in case someone else might want them.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Got mtn bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Ours worked flawlessly thru the 4 days & nights of the storms in Orlando. One fellow offered me $100 if I would take them off and give them to him or he would wait until 3 am and just steal them. I am now going to build him a set when we get back to Concord and send them to him in FL. May make 2 or 3 more sets just in case someone else might want them.
Sounds like you might have the starting of a good sideline job!

Tags
awning