Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Power tongue jack installed

We had a power tongue jack on our previous TT. DW cranked the new one up by hand a couple of times and told we were going make the same mod on this one! So I ordered a Barker VIP 3000 lb jack from amazon.com and had it sent to MyUSAddress for pickup and installation during our first camping trip to upstate NY.

It was my first experience using MyUSAddress since I signed up last year and it was problem-free. I brought the tongue jack back to the park and had a look at the instructions.

I came prepared - two jack stands to support the A-frame during the installation and a carbide burr to open up the hole for the jack post as I had been warned that I might have to do. Plus a corded power drill and all of the usual tools I camp with.

Here are the steps I took:
  1. Cranked up the stabilizers at all 4 corners
  2. Cranked the tongue a little higher
  3. Put jack stands on the ground under the A-frame, placed a 6" block between the stands and frame, and lifted the stands as high as they would go
  4. Lowered the tongue jack until the weight rested on the jack stands and blocks
  5. Unbolted the tongue jack and test fitted the power jack - it fit, which meant no grinding. Yay!
  6. Used the corded drill and a wire brush wheel to remove paint at the bolt holes; The jack uses direct contact with the A-frame as ground
  7. Because the jack was pretty close to the propane bottle cover, I used two of the supplied star washes between the flange and A-frame on the two bolt holes at the rear; this tilted it forward slightly.
  8. The jack was not supplied with a ring terminal for the positive wire or with washers to put beneath the bolt heads. I found what I needed at a True Value hardware in the small town near the park.
Install completed... DW happy. Me too!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 10:41 AM   #2

Nice job! I'm doing the same once it arrives. I don't like that our new TT has a manual crank jack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Harveyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

I just replaced my LCI with a Husky Brute 4,500 lbs. lift with a remote. The directions say to put the starwashers between the bolt head and the jack base. I didn't understand the reasoning behind that but I did it that way and it works. I would think the washers should be under the base on the tongue frame itself but as long as there is metal-metal contact, the grounding is complete.

I won't say the Husky is quiet but I won't have to worry about it struggling to do the lifting.

I had a front pic of it but for some reason it is posting sideways. Never had that happen to me before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	109020  
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I just replaced my LCI with a Husky Brute 4,500 lbs. lift with a remote. The directions say to put the starwashers between the bolt head and the jack base. I didn't understand the reasoning behind that but I did it that way and it works. I would think the washers should be under the base on the tongue frame itself but as long as there is metal-metal contact, the grounding is complete.
Star lock washers are to keep the bolt from backing out.

"External Star Lock Washers Designed for use in providing increased locking force and torsional resistance"
Old 05-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #5

Spray your new washers and bolts with rust paint . This way they will not rust being exposed to the weather.
Good install !!

Brandon2
2500TS Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

Barkers are good. Made my n USA !!

I need the 24" lift. This is my second trailer I installed them on.

Tags
led, power