Old 06-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Thumbs up Wow Ain't!

over 80 million posts. I am truly impressed.

They seem pretty expensive but they look strong!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #12

disregard this post...lol...went into edit and can't figure out how to delete?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas View Post
My neighbor on the fence side is a, well lets jut leave it at particular, about his yard .
wow you have one of those also??? the peach of a neighbour that I have has huge trees just inside of his fence that over hang into my yard where my pad is. The branches are doing a nice job of scuffing the side of my new 5th... When I asked him if it was possible to trim a couple of branches he basically had a meltdown on me... saying there isnt many trees in the neighbourhood and thats the reason we have so much wind etc etc etc, and why am i parking my RV so close to the fence etc etc etc. Since he loves trees, I plan on planting the dirtiest trees that I can find so that I can return the favour of piles of leaves that end up in his new pool little does he know that his trees are shrinking late at night ...
Old 06-17-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Jas

The power caster is what I saw that gave me the initial idea but it looked too flimsy and underpowered. I wsa afraid of it tipping over on me. Besides, if I had that kind of money laying around I'd just buy and ATV and be done with it all. Right now this project covers the actual need and the wife's insistance on "toy abaitment". I've cut up 3 large projects for parts so far looking for just the right parts combo. I saw actual grass behind the 30' parallel for the first time last night!

As far as the tree thing goes, I can sympathise but I have a perfect solution: Plant a gumball tree. It drops something different every month, grows fast and the seed packs are sharp spiney things that look like the end product of a proqupine mating with a golfball. They hurt like the dickens when you run over them with the lawn mower.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Not sure about where you live

but, can't you cut back what overhangs your yard?

I would check with your local government, but I think its legal.

He has no right to intrude into your yard.

Leaves, on the other hand, are a WHOLE nuther issue.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #16

Cut your gate in 2 pieces and open from either side. Or put a hinge in the middle and fold it. That reduces the head room needed to 5.5 feet. Not you got 3 feet or so of clearance.
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palomino_G210 View Post
Cut your gate in 2 pieces and open from either side. Or put a hinge in the middle and fold it. That reduces the head room needed to 5.5 feet. Not you got 3 feet or so of clearance.
Awww.. there you go thinking again. I was really waiting for pictures as this sounds like a serious "workaround"
Old 06-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #18
Jas

progress report: Day 2 construction completion update. I have successfully mounted the hitch ball to the axle and rigged a motor mount and assorted pulleys to tension the belt. I still need to mount a handle and rig up the shift lever as I will not be sticking my hand down there again!

It runs like a bull on the jackstands with 5 speeds to pull the trailer forward and 1 nice low speed to back it up. Will not be setting any land speed records. Dure to the copious amounts of heavy gage steel I have available (most of it is at least 1/4" thk) the current build is a stout 250 lbs and growing. I should be able to post the pics this evening. It's not pretty but I wasn't designing it to win any beauty contests either.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Trailer brakes

I wonder how hard it would be to make a connector to receive your trailaer's plug and wire in a variable resistor of some sort to apply the trailer brakes.

As a work around you could have a wire to your "break away" and yank it when the camper is in position.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Jas

I was going to unplug the brake controller from the truck and wire up a junction box with the 7 way plug going to the controller. I saw someone else here had built a test box in a similar manner for testing the trailer lights. I'm going to plagerize and upgrade for my application. The spare controller harness is $10 at the parts store and for some odd reason I have a spare 7 way receptical laying around. Just hardwire the battery into the box & run away giggling.