Old 06-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Jas

power trailer dolly

Another hair brianed scheme has hatched!

My trailer & truck combo is about 1 foot too long to park the rig behind my fence & close the gate. To complicate matters, the fence is about 1/2" off the edge of the driveway with a 11' wide gate at the end making the manouver of backing in even more exciting. in 10 attempts there have thankfully been no casualties but that can easily change during bad weather hence the need for a better mouse trap.

I don't have a lot of spare money anymore (just married) but I do have a welder, assorted piles of steel and lawn/automotive parts in various stages of, well lets call it repair for now.

The trailer loaded out weighed about 5,700 lbs and there is a very shigt grade on this part of the driveway so the easy hand dolly solution is out. My lawn tractor doesn't have the frame to take the abuse either. I do however have a broken rototiller & 2 broken down lawn tractors...

Plan A: strip the trannny & drive wheels off of the tractor with the auto tranny & make a cart using the 3 hp motor off of a dead lawnmower and assorted steel bits.

Plan B: put a working motor out of an old dryer (1/2 hp) on the tilelr and run it with an extension cord. The gearing in the tiller is obscene and I would have a handle built in.

I'll be camping at the dealership for assorted repairs over the next few weeks so I will have plenty of time & space to fab & test in. I have a boat & trailer that will be making the ultimate sacrifice as guinea pig during the T&E portion of this build. Both are expendable and at 8.48 lbs/gallon, the boat full of water should get me close to the camper weights. Again the boat is expendable.

I'll post pics as the hilarity ensues.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Why not build a a 3 wheel trailer with a ball on top to put the travel trailer coupling on. Put the front wheel of the small trailer on a tiller type steering, (boat motor arm), and connect this to the lawn tractor. Then all the lawn tractor has to do is push and pull. Really no weight on the lawn tractor. Enough traction to move the camper may be another story, as you never said if you were on grass, rock, or cement...etc. Just another thought, and why involve another engine with more maintenance, when you are going to keep the lawn tractor up anyway?

By the way, my trailer has a 900 pound tongue weight, and I have been thinking of this so I can move it with my small Kubota tractor. The tractor would never handle the tongue weight alone, so I need a trailer to handle the tongue weight. I have the power and traction for moving it with 30 horsepower and 4 x 4, tractor tires.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Jas

Tried the 3 wheeler and it was just a pain to maneuver. That and my little 20 HP lawn tractor just spun the tires even on flat concrete. This scheme was born to use that 800 lbs ish of tounge weight for the traction boost. That and I had the spare motor laying around.

I will be running this critter on pretty much every surface as my concrete driveway is needed to access the garage so the trailer will have to go off road onto grass and eventually crush and run gravel. I have several pulley combos at my disposal to change the gearing to get the power down to the wheels. This way I can gear it low enough to move the load without sacrificing the "daily driver" tractor.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My next question is, if your 500 plus pound lawn tractor won't move it, how are you going to move it with a 30 pound 3 horse motor and and a 20 pound frame. Gearing won't ever make up for traction.
As a private pilot, I see owners trying to move 2000 pound airplanes on asphalt with 3 horse power motorized movers, and the don't have the weight/traction with a 10 inch wide tire.
You have a great idea, and the means to build, that's a plus on your side. Just make sure you take the time to do the engineering so it has a chance to work. Not trying to upset anybody, but everyone that wants to tow a large trailer with a small tow vehicle should read this thread. You need weight and traction to move a heavy object, not just gearing. And once you get it moving, you also need a way to stop it. So will your lightweight mover have brakes? Or maybe you plan on a battery and a brake controller on the handle bar that you can operate manually to apply trailer brakes? Please don't get upset with me, but I hate to see you tear up your fence or your trailer trying to move it, or worse case, you get run over by it. Sorry if I'm over engineering, but I haven't gotten any one hurt yet.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #5

Is the problem that the rig is too long or too hard to park? If it is too long, how will a tractor solve that? Too hard to park, what about putting on a front hitch so you can see what is going on.

Or are you looking for a project?
Palomino_G210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Smile My vote for a front hitch

While I currently have a 5th wheel, I did put a front receiver on my TV to carry my bike rack when traveling. It was relatively cheap and VERY easy to install. It used 2 of the bolts already installed for the OEM tow hooks and 2 short bolts. The kit included a spiral fish wire and the whole thing took 30 minutes start to finish.

Trailer HITCHES, Trailer Hitch Accessories, Reese Trailer Hitches

Once you get the trailer pushed in where you want it; just disconnect and back up.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #7
Jas

the rig is too long with the truck/camper combo. either by themselves will move around in this area just fine. I have a 33' tip to tail trailer, 21' of truck, 18" lost to the hitch and 65' of driveway to work in. Unfortunately the gate opens into the yard which removes 11' off of that driveway length if I want to close it with the truck behind the fence let alone still hooked up I'm 2' short. The tractor/dolly will allow me to scoot the trailer over into the yard without a 37 point turn freeing up the driveway. My neighbor on the fence side is a, well lets jut leave it at particular, about his yard and the 3' extra space I need to pull off the backing maneuver quickly is on his side of the line.

The front hitch only helps if you don't already know how to back up a trailer. In that respect I have it under control. My sole issue is pure length with the space available.

Now as far as the weight of the tow critter vs the tractor. Remember when you hitch to a lawn tractor the hitch point isn't strong enough to bear the 800# of tongue by itself so you transfer that weight to the support cart that you tow right? The problem is now you only have the 500# of tractor (weight spread out over 4 points) with maybe 400# on the rear axle (tractor & 200# driver combined). The design I'm using may only weigh 200# but it has the 800# of tongue right over the drive axle which should help the traction situation. There's only 1 way to find out though!

I have begun the build and the first hurdle has arisen, putting a pulley on the new engine..... the end shaft isn't keyed. I may drill a hole straddling the pulley shaft interface and installing a roll pin to act as a key. More to come as the situation unfolds.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Cool I think I see

How hard would it be to remove the gate?
Then re-install it when everything is where you want it?

or

Can it be "re-configured" to open outward?

Just a thought.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Jas

gate out very bad. obsticals on the side if it opens to the house and the other side reduces the available room for the opeation.

Love the front hitch for the bike rack idea though.

I have a built in brake on the axle I'm using and I was going to make a brake controller box too.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #10

So you are trying to build something like this? Power Caster

They look pretty neat to me.

Good luck!