Old 08-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Preinstalled 200w GoPower Solar Question

Hey everyone! I know the solar/inverter talk has been beaten to death on this forum and I did use the magical search button trust me, but I still have a question. Our new unit has a preinstalled 200w solar system from GoPower. Obviously, it doesn't have an inverter with it but I want to add one. The system is strictly there to charge my house batteries and does have a GoPower monitor on the wall by our bedroom. What is the most logical way of putting an inverter into a factory solar system? I was an auto tech for years but for some reason I need this explained to me like I'm a 5th grader!

I have plenty of space in my front storage compartment to mount an inverter but what else would I need? Ideally, I'd like to plug my shore power cable into a box and use the inverter for small stuff such as tv, outlets, etc.

RV: 2016 Stealth WA2916 Toy Hauler
TV: 2005 F250 PSD
2012 Polaris Sportsman 850XP
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:33 AM   #2
An inverter connects to your battery bank and converts 12 volts to 120 volts. The solar just keeps the battery bank charged. You'll need a good and sizeable AH battery bank to run much off 120v. Example: 10 amps of 120v will be drawing 120 amps from a12volt battery to make that many amps. so a sizeable battery bank and heavy welding cable wiring with the proper fusing and transfer switching will be needed.
First determine your amperage needs and start from there for sizing requirements. Also battery weight and solar panel and controls components weight is something to concider so your not over loading your RV. My solar system added about 500 lbs. to my RV. 300# being the batteries alone.
My system: 520 watt solar, 435AH AGM battery bank, 2000 watt Cotek true sine wave inverter with transfer switching , 60 amp MPPT Morningstar charge controller with battery temperature monitors, 2/0 welding cables, fusing, remote controllers/monitors inside RV.
A 200 watt solar panels will make about 9 to 10 amps with good sun. So if you burn 100 ah out of your battery bank it will take 10 plus hours to recharge that 100ah you used. My system can make 35amps so I could replace a 100ah use in less than 3 hrs. You should take into account in the winter only 5 hrs of good sun is available for recharging. In the summers in Texas we get 10 to 12 hrs of Sun in the summer and about 6 good hrs in the winter months. You can see more solar panels would be needed cause 200 watts isn't really that much.
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote

led, power, solar