Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post

I just looked at the race date June 27, with any luck I'll be on way home from yellowstone about then.
I'm still looking, DW used the rest of her va-ca time for this trip,so she will not be able to use any more until mid September.
Mote pass ? Boat across ?
Mote pass something i came up with to raze the Kentucky RC Model club when the come to Ohio for flyins. You know the Ohio River we put a mote around Ohio to keep them out. Lol. Not to offend any one. We have to get one to go to there place in Lexington. Great group of pilots.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #42

Battery Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
The battery mod looks good but you might have a problem with it. When I was going to do the same idea and double up the battery on my fishing boat it was recommended to use a battery switch to select one battery at time because when multiple vehicle batteries are connected in parallel they will tend to drain each other if they sit long enough.
This generally causes problems between batteries due to a "parasitic" charge and discharge between two batteries with different internal resistances. Calculating the internal resistance of a battery is not done easily, but you can search the Inet for more info. Get all the batteries with exactly the same internal resistance and there will likely be no trouble at all. Good luck with that!

A large diode could be placed between the + terminals of each battery and individual cables connected to the system downstream of the diode. But doing this will block the built-in charger from doing its job. In many cases you will have little noticeable trouble with only a slightly shortened battery life leaving it as is. Disconnecting when not in use will help.

For several years I ran two D4 batteries in parallel with a 600 amp diode on each (yes 600 amp, they were diodes from a big generator) but the charger was clamped on each individual battery when it was needed.

You made a commitment......go with it!

Ed
KA1VCQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:05 AM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engauge View Post
The battery mod looks good but you might have a problem with it. When I was going to do the same idea and double up the battery on my fishing boat it was recommended to use a battery switch to select one battery at time because when multiple vehicle batteries are connected in parallel they will tend to drain each other if they sit long enough.
This is totally true if the batteries are not matched.
The more "unalike" they are the worse it is.

For example an engine starting battery and a deep discharge (RV) battery wired in parallel would actually have LESS total capacity than the RV battery alone for the reason you stated.

The starting battery would always seem "dead" to the RV storage battery and it would keep trying to charge it.

Correctly matched RV batteries wired to make the resistances from the positive terminal of one battery through the stack to the negative terminal of the last battery IN the stack will prevent this. NOTE: The wires BETWEEN the batteries MUST be of the same gauge AND length for this to be true.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Parralell Connections.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	30200  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #44
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

This is totally true if the batteries are not matched.
The more "unalike" they are the worse it is.

For example an engine starting battery and a deep discharge (RV) battery wired in parallel would actually have LESS total capacity than the RV battery alone for the reason you stated.

The starting battery would always seem "dead" to the RV storage battery and it would keep trying to charge it.

Correctly matched RV batteries wired to make the resistances from the positive terminal of one battery through the stack to the negative terminal of the last battery IN the stack will prevent this. NOTE: The wires BETWEEN the batteries MUST be of the same gauge AND length for this to be true.
Herk this (just like the pic) is what I did,in a few weeks,I will let y'all know how it worked.
On a different note, today I will be wiring in my new transfer tank pump, I am trying to decide where to wire it to. Thinking about putting clips, like charging type,on end of the wire,and an other deep cycle batt,in a batt box,and charge as needed. Or I am wondering if I could wire it to a trailer plug,using brake pin as hot, The pump came with (I think) enough wire to go to one of the trucks batts.or the fuse box in engine compartment. What would you recommend ?

Thanks!
Ty
Rolling buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #45
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling buckeye View Post
Herk this (just like the pic) is what I did,in a few weeks,I will let y'all know how it worked.
On a different note, today I will be wiring in my new transfer tank pump, I am trying to decide where to wire it to. Thinking about putting clips, like charging type,on end of the wire,and an other deep cycle batt,in a batt box,and charge as needed. Or I am wondering if I could wire it to a trailer plug,using brake pin as hot, The pump came with (I think) enough wire to go to one of the trucks batts.or the fuse box in engine compartment. What would you recommend ?

Thanks!
Ty
Starting a new thread.

I can help with that.
find it here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ump-39719.html

Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote