Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #1

Propane connection - "Rapid Connect" to standard bottle?

My trailer (as most) has an external propane access line with a connector that I think is called "rapid connect". I was planning to use a standard external grill, the ones that you attach directly to the 20lb bottle (not to the small disposable bottles).
I don't seem to find anywhere an adapter to put on the trailer side (the rapid connect) to convert it into a normal bottle thread. Any suggestion?
iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Denver, CO

Propane store can make you one the length you want. If your rapid connect fitting is downstream of the main regulator, you want a grill line without a regulator, but if it is on the high side then you want the grill regulator in there.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Propane store can make you one the length you want. If your rapid connect fitting is downstream of the main regulator, you want a grill line without a regulator, but if it is on the high side then you want the grill regulator in there.
Thanks, I'm still amazed that this connection is not redly available, sounds to me as a pretty basic thing...

I'm pretty sure the grill has already a regulator inside. Would that be a problem if I end up with two regulators in the same line? (the main one on the trailer, and the one on the grill) ???
Old 06-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #4

https://www.campingworld.com/12-quic...-assembly-hose

camping world sells them. i don't know how to copy in a pic, but the link is above. 12', quick connect on one end and screw on hose on other
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
https://www.campingworld.com/12-quic...-assembly-hose

camping world sells them. i don't know how to copy in a pic, but the link is above. 12', quick connect on one end and screw on hose on other
Thanks, but this connects to the "throw away bottles", not the standard refillable ones...
Old 06-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #6

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Pro...+adapter&psc=1

sorry, missed that part. would one of these adapters convert from small bottle to tank? Use it with the 12' hose above. It might be cheaper to have the hose made..........
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconnekt View Post

I'm pretty sure the grill has already a regulator inside. Would that be a problem if I end up with two regulators in the same line? (the main one on the trailer, and the one on the grill) ???
Yes, it will be a problem. We have many threads on this, and how you either have to remove the grill's regulator...or tie in to your propane cylinders ahead of the RV's regulator. You may can even get a retrofit kit for some grills:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1537825

The RV's "quick connect" fitting is made for a certain type of grill that doesn't already have a built in regulator like the RVQ or Sidekick grill.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Lets get back to the basic question(s)...

First the rapid connect is really called a Quick Connect fitting.

It provides LOW pressure propane to a grill or appliance without a regulator attached to it.

Gas grills that connect directly to a 20# tank are HIGH pressure and have a regulator attached near the connection to the 20# bottle.

You can not use two regulators in series. You won't get enough flow.

If you want to connect a grill that typically attaches to a 20# tank into your low pressure quick connect, you will need to remove the grill's regulator and adapt the supply hose to the quick connect.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Lets get back to the basic question(s)...

First the rapid connect is really called a Quick Connect fitting.

It provides LOW pressure propane to a grill or appliance without a regulator attached to it.

Gas grills that connect directly to a 20# tank are HIGH pressure and have a regulator attached near the connection to the 20# bottle.

You can not use two regulators in series. You won't get enough flow.

If you want to connect a grill that typically attaches to a 20# tank into your low pressure quick connect, you will need to remove the grill's regulator and adapt the supply hose to the quick connect.
Thank you guys, that would probably explain why there are no ready to use connection converters...

I think that I'll let it stay as it is. Maybe I will run a hose with a Y from the main line (but before the trailer's regulator) to the side of the trailer alongside the quick connect line, with a standard 20# bottle connection at the end...

(...and, sorry if there were other previous threads on the matter, I actually searched before posting but I may have missed something...)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconnekt View Post
Thank you guys, that would probably explain why there are no ready to use connection converters...

I think that I'll let it stay as it is. Maybe I will run a hose with a Y from the main line (but before the trailer's regulator) to the side of the trailer alongside the quick connect line, with a standard 20# bottle connection at the end...

(...and, sorry if there were other previous threads on the matter, I actually searched before posting but I may have missed something...)
There are many of these available.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
There are many of these available.
On my trailer my quick connect is in the middle of the trailer just forward of my tires. It is set under the trailer more than I would have thought. I don't like BBQing under awning so I will probably never use. Don't like flare ups too close to trailer.
Amazon has should have the hose you need. If not you just may need to connect two together.

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane