Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 16
Propane connection - "Rapid Connect" to standard bottle?

My trailer (as most) has an external propane access line with a connector that I think is called "rapid connect". I was planning to use a standard external grill, the ones that you attach directly to the 20lb bottle (not to the small disposable bottles).
I don't seem to find anywhere an adapter to put on the trailer side (the rapid connect) to convert it into a normal bottle thread. Any suggestion?
__________________

iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,067
Propane store can make you one the length you want. If your rapid connect fitting is downstream of the main regulator, you want a grill line without a regulator, but if it is on the high side then you want the grill regulator in there.
__________________

__________________
2017 Fuse 23T
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Propane store can make you one the length you want. If your rapid connect fitting is downstream of the main regulator, you want a grill line without a regulator, but if it is on the high side then you want the grill regulator in there.
Thanks, I'm still amazed that this connection is not redly available, sounds to me as a pretty basic thing...

I'm pretty sure the grill has already a regulator inside. Would that be a problem if I end up with two regulators in the same line? (the main one on the trailer, and the one on the grill) ???
iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
MillMitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 404
https://www.campingworld.com/12-quic...-assembly-hose

camping world sells them. i don't know how to copy in a pic, but the link is above. 12', quick connect on one end and screw on hose on other
__________________
Mitch in MN
2018 Patriot (Grey Wolf) 23MK travel trailer
2011 Durango 5.7L and OEM tow package
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
https://www.campingworld.com/12-quic...-assembly-hose

camping world sells them. i don't know how to copy in a pic, but the link is above. 12', quick connect on one end and screw on hose on other
Thanks, but this connects to the "throw away bottles", not the standard refillable ones...
iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
MillMitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: MN
Posts: 404
https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Pro...+adapter&psc=1

sorry, missed that part. would one of these adapters convert from small bottle to tank? Use it with the 12' hose above. It might be cheaper to have the hose made..........
__________________
Mitch in MN
2018 Patriot (Grey Wolf) 23MK travel trailer
2011 Durango 5.7L and OEM tow package
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 17,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconnekt View Post

I'm pretty sure the grill has already a regulator inside. Would that be a problem if I end up with two regulators in the same line? (the main one on the trailer, and the one on the grill) ???
Yes, it will be a problem. We have many threads on this, and how you either have to remove the grill's regulator...or tie in to your propane cylinders ahead of the RV's regulator. You may can even get a retrofit kit for some grills:

Propane quick connect

The RV's "quick connect" fitting is made for a certain type of grill that doesn't already have a built in regulator like the RVQ or Sidekick grill.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Are people more violently opposed to fur rather than leather because itís much easier to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs?
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 6,766
Lets get back to the basic question(s)...

First the rapid connect is really called a Quick Connect fitting.

It provides LOW pressure propane to a grill or appliance without a regulator attached to it.

Gas grills that connect directly to a 20# tank are HIGH pressure and have a regulator attached near the connection to the 20# bottle.

You can not use two regulators in series. You won't get enough flow.

If you want to connect a grill that typically attaches to a 20# tank into your low pressure quick connect, you will need to remove the grill's regulator and adapt the supply hose to the quick connect.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Lets get back to the basic question(s)...

First the rapid connect is really called a Quick Connect fitting.

It provides LOW pressure propane to a grill or appliance without a regulator attached to it.

Gas grills that connect directly to a 20# tank are HIGH pressure and have a regulator attached near the connection to the 20# bottle.

You can not use two regulators in series. You won't get enough flow.

If you want to connect a grill that typically attaches to a 20# tank into your low pressure quick connect, you will need to remove the grill's regulator and adapt the supply hose to the quick connect.
Thank you guys, that would probably explain why there are no ready to use connection converters...

I think that I'll let it stay as it is. Maybe I will run a hose with a Y from the main line (but before the trailer's regulator) to the side of the trailer alongside the quick connect line, with a standard 20# bottle connection at the end...

(...and, sorry if there were other previous threads on the matter, I actually searched before posting but I may have missed something...)
iconnekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #10
Pickin' & Campin'
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 6,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconnekt View Post
Thank you guys, that would probably explain why there are no ready to use connection converters...

I think that I'll let it stay as it is. Maybe I will run a hose with a Y from the main line (but before the trailer's regulator) to the side of the trailer alongside the quick connect line, with a standard 20# bottle connection at the end...

(...and, sorry if there were other previous threads on the matter, I actually searched before posting but I may have missed something...)
There are many of these available.
__________________

__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=21
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
propane

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.