Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #1

propane extension hose for generator

I've spent about a week looking around the net, but no-one seems to have done what I want to do, or at least not posted about it (with exception of ClutchD, but he set up to EITHER use BBQ outlet OR tank -- I ONLY want to connect to BBQ outlet, NEVER a tank).

On the Champion dual fuel, I understand that I need to remove the regulator and attach a hose directly into the cutoff valve (which already has a hose that goes into the generator). On the other end of that hose, I want a male quick-connect to fit my BBQ propane outlet on the side of the camper.

I want the hose to be about 25-30 ft long, so I can leave the gen in the back of the truck.

When not in use, I want to fold that hose and cutoff valve etc. and stick in a box.

Any ideas?
Timeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #2

Have a hose custom made. I would bet any major propane store can make hoses or know someone that does. You can have any size hydraulic hose made to withstand large pressures just about anywhere. The hose used for propane are different. But stand to reason you could have one made.
kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:17 PM   #3

I have a custom made hose that runs from my 100gal LP tank to my rv, it’s about twenty foot long. When using the camper I just unhook from the hundred gallon tank and wrap the hose around the tanks on camper. I could have made the hose a hundred foot long, the rubber hose is sold by the foot
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

I had a 10' one made years ago so I could use the grill further from the camper. I got it at a local LP dealer. I had a short hose that came with the grill and they used those connections.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #5

RV repairs shops or propane dealers, not necessarily RV dealerships, are the best place to go if you're not sure and take the generator with you.
Propane systems either have 2 single stage pressure regulators or one two stage regulator (rv's mostly). It is important you get the right size hose with the proper pressure rating and the right connectors.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #6

Check out eBay. I was just on there looking for a hose to hook up a grill. They had a lot.
mamcgoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

Propane genny use

Make sure that your regulator will flow enough volume of gas to power the genny and any other appliance that may be running or used at the same time.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:09 PM   #8

The hoses and quick disconnects are all on Amazon.com.
card16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #9
code.org

Dual Fuel Champion

I bought this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Propane-Qui...s+and+fittings

and a connector to join the two quick connect fittings together.

So one end of the quick connectors I joined together into the RV's BBQ propane port, the other end into the female end of the hose, and then the male end of the hose into the Champion 3500.

However, the generator will not start. Apparently the hose is too long and the pressure drops. My temporary solution is to just remove a propane bottle from the RV and put in the back of the truck next to the genny and use the hose/regulator that came with the genny.

I would, however, like to get it working off the BBQ port. Let me know if you come up with a solution that works
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 AM   #10
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
I bought this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/Propane-Qui...s+and+fittings

and a connector to join the two quick connect fittings together.

So one end of the quick connectors I joined together into the RV's BBQ propane port, the other end into the female end of the hose, and then the male end of the hose into the Champion 3500.

However, the generator will not start. Apparently the hose is too long and the pressure drops. My temporary solution is to just remove a propane bottle from the RV and put in the back of the truck next to the genny and use the hose/regulator that came with the genny.

I would, however, like to get it working off the BBQ port. Let me know if you come up with a solution that works
It can't work the way you've attempted. This link should explain it all.
CHAMPION DUAL FUEL TO ONBOARD QUICK CONNECT PROVEN SOLUTION APPROVED BY CHAMPION
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #11

As originally posted, that diagram does NOT spell out how to make the long hose.

What is diameter of hose, and what is it?

What hose barb fittings required to keep flow-rate unimpeded? You'd need a hose barb on one end that went to a QD that fit the BBQ outlet. And a hose barb on the other end that went down to the 1/8 inch fitting the goes into the Champion cutoff valve (supplied with the generator).

Yes, I could go have this made for me, for over $100 for 25 ft ......
Timeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeking View Post
As originally posted, that diagram does NOT spell out how to make the long hose.

What is diameter of hose, and what is it?

What hose barb fittings required to keep flow-rate unimpeded? You'd need a hose barb on one end that went to a QD that fit the BBQ outlet. And a hose barb on the other end that went down to the 1/8 inch fitting the goes into the Champion cutoff valve (supplied with the generator).

Yes, I could go have this made for me, for over $100 for 25 ft ......
Perhaps this will help. The extension hose I use is 12ft. 1/4" low pressure hose and has a 1/4 Male NPT Q.C. on one end and a 1/4" Female Q.C. on the other. I didn't spend a lot of time looking for a 25 ft. but there may be one out there. The Male plug end of this hose plugs directly into my trailer's onboard Quick Connect (all the RV's I've seen had 1/4" Female Q.C.). The other end of the hose is a 1/4" Female Q.C. plug and it plugs onto the modified Champion's Safety Valve.

For using your onboard propane to work, you MUST use the short propane hose that comes with the Dual Fuel Inverter. Basically, you don't change having to plug it's 1/4" Male Q.C. into the Inverter's Propane selector port.

So when you look at the short propane accessory hose as shipped it will have a large circular Safety/Flow Valve and screwed onto that is a smaller propane regulator and attached to that small regulator is the knob assembly that screws onto a propane bottle. To make this mod, unscrew the small regulator at the junction where it screws onto the larger Safety/Flow Valve. When you do that you will see a 1/8" Male NPT sticking out of the Safety/Flow Valve.

This mode requires 2 small parts and Pink or Yellow Teflon tape to complete the mod. Any adapters, plugs or reducers should have their thread wrapped with Teflon pipe tape to insure a no-leak connection. Do the mod like this:

A) First you need a reducer (1/4in Female NPT to 1/8" Female NPT) 1/8" x 1/4" Female NPT Brass Pipe Adapter Coupling and screw the 1/8" reducer end onto the 1/8" male end that's sticking out from the Safety/Valve you just freed up from the small regulator.

B) Next on the 1/4in end of that reducer you will want to screw in a 1/4" Male Q.C. plug Propane Brass Quick Connect Fitting Adapter- Full Flow Male Plug x 1/4" Male NPT for RV Portable.

You can now plug that 1/4" Male Q.C. EITHER into your trailer's Q.C. port OR into the Female Q.C. end of your extension hose. Here's the link where I bought the extension hose:
DozyAnt 12 feet Low Pressure Propane Quick-Connect Hose - 1/4” Safety Shutoff Valve & Male Full Flow Plug for RVs

In conclusion, the graphic has closeup pictures of the parts and includes a photo of the finished modified Safety/Flow Valve plugged into the trailer's onboard port. If you want a 25' hose you will most likely need to go to a Propane/Gas dealer and have them fabricate it for you.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #13

Here's a thought: Recently I had squirrels chew a hole in my LP rubber hose that goes from my tanks/regulator to an LP manifold under the TT. This hose was 1/2" I.D. x 25 feet long. We have three LP gas suppliers in town and I went to each of them wanting to buy a new hose. EACH of those LP gas businesses told that they could not make me a 2/2" hose as the State of Georgia restricts them to 3/8" I.D. Max hoses only. They could not order me one either. One business is certified to work on RV's under some licensing program and he advised me to go back to the manufacturer (Forest River) for the hose. FR told me that they could only send a 1/2" I.D. hose to an FR dealer. My question on this Genny application would be: What size hose would you need to meet your genny's demand?

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #14

A 1/4" propane hose 25' to 30' long will not flow enough to run any medium sized generator ... too much loss of flow for that size and length. That's why you see the larger diameter hoses OEM.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:47 PM   #15

Have a buddy who has a gas fire pit and the guy who made the fire pit would custom make the hose to go with it but he said more than 25ft would not work as it was too long. I suggest this as an alternative so you only need a 10ft hose.

https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...03613-MBS.html

Its designed for an external tank but should work the other way as well. If not maybe this instead.
https://www.etrailer.com/Propane/MB-...03539-MBS.html

You could also daisy chain hoses to see if it was worth trying to get one made or make one as an alternative.

I leave mine in the truck but just connect directly to the 30lb tank on the trailer with a 10ft extension.

I also have the quick disconnect on the regulator so I can hook up in storage to get power working for a short time.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, propane