Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Propane tank lid

We just returned from camping on the weekend. All went well until I noticed that the plastic lid for the propane tank cover (the typical 2-tank one) blew off somewhere. Guess I didn't tighten the two plastic nuts enough.

Anyone know if you can buy just the plastic lid anywhere? I tried the internet a bit and didn't see anything except for complete covers.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #2

Same darn thing happened to me. Searched the internet too, even called Camping World with no luck. I just use it like it is, no lid. Post if you find one somewhere and i might get another.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #3

Not sold by itself as far as I know, you have to buy a whole propane cover - and you get the lid for free
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
We just returned from camping on the weekend. All went well until I noticed that the plastic lid for the propane tank cover (the typical 2-tank one) blew off somewhere. Guess I didn't tighten the two plastic nuts enough.

Anyone know if you can buy just the plastic lid anywhere? I tried the internet a bit and didn't see anything except for complete covers.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Can't you make one out of lexan from Lowes or HD? Paint it on the inside and it will remain shiny and not have the paint scratched. Suggest drilling a hole in it and putting a restraining cord/cable/chain on it. And, when you take it off, get in the habit of dropping it inside the cover so it won't get lost again.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #5

I just noticed this post should have been in tech. & repair...

We appear to have a Camco #40542 30lb tank cover (polar white). After some persistent looking around, it seems that what we need is a "Camco 40543 White Replacement Cap Kit". I see that it is available online for under $11.00 from one source. Beats spending $40-$50 for a complete cover. Maybe a local RV place will have one.

I hope this info. helps anyone looking for this part. Think I will safety wire the next one on!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #6

Just bought one from one of the local dealers for $12.00.I'm located in Kamloops B.C.The dealer is South Thompson RV.
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Camco does sell the replacemen lids- check with your local RV supply shop. Camco also sent replacement hardware when I lost the lid and could only recover the lid on a busy street (55 mph traffic).

This design could use a little adjusting if so many of us have the same issue. Just brought a third cover because I wanted a black color one but think I wil install some type of tie to keep the lid more secure. (Will practice drilling on the older one)

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #8

Might be able to drill holes on the hinge side of the lid and cover and install wire ties loosely as a tether.

09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #9

Found a lid! Our dealer had a few of them and for under $8. I even got a 10% discount.

Our local RV repair shop has some on back order for $13. They also said any Camco rep. can order them in so they shouldn't be that elusive. Funny that they seem hard to find on the internet (except for Amazon).