Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #1

Pull out couch/air mattress- hate it!

Just took delivery on a 2013 Rockwood fifth wheel ultralight with Diamond package. Absolutely beautiful, but what's with the air mattress in the pull out couch? Not only does it add multiple steps to the process, but its uncomfortable and I'm sure just a matter of time before it leaks. Does anyone know is Forest River will provide a new couch with the more traditional "jack knife" design? I'd even be willing to buy it, and I'm sure installation is easy. Any other alternatives? Thanks!
Killingtonrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #2

The new "destination" sofa is an option on many THOR products, it's a great sofa and sleeper, went to look at a Crossroads and it was an option. It will fit any RV as a complete swap:

The Destination Tri-Fold Sleeper
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #3

Interesting, no wonder the manufacturers have so much trouble keeping up with what people want. We just took delivery of a Wildcat Maxx, it came with the new fold-out sofa that uses the sofa pads as the bed, hard and uncomfortable. When we purchased the sofa was the foldout with the storage drawer and air mattress. We think it's a better deal in all ways. To each their own, but has to be hard to keep everybody happy.
NevadaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #4

My "Bed -In-A-Bag" mattress is really comfy compared to our old jack knife in the TT. The material is pretty thick, so unless our dumb s**t cat decides to play footsie on it, the air mattress should last for quite some time. To each his own.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

I could find no price or place to purchase the Destination Tri-Fold Sleeper. Information on the Lippert Site, but no price or place to purchase. And Lippert's major retail outlet (Mobile Outfitters) does not list any furniture.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Eaglelover
Air Mattress

I have a 2012 3001W and the first time I blew up the mattress it had a leak. The factory and dealer solution was for ME to patch it with the kit. The other recommendation was not to fold it into the bed but to store it in the bottom drawer. Brand new unit should have been replaced with a new one I am not happy with the solutions from the dealer or factory. The mattress was patched and I have not used it since. Frank
Eaglelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglelover View Post
I have a 2012 3001W and the first time I blew up the mattress it had a leak. The factory and dealer solution was for ME to patch it with the kit. The other recommendation was not to fold it into the bed but to store it in the bottom drawer. Brand new unit should have been replaced with a new one I am not happy with the solutions from the dealer or factory. The mattress was patched and I have not used it since. Frank
Well, I guess your going to have to be the bad guy and DEMAND a new air mattress. Don't take no for an answer, after all your bought a new coach.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

We never used the fold out portion of our fold out sofa. It was just too much work. We ended up taking the sofa out of the trailer, and I now have a reclining chair there (La-Z-Boy). Much better than the sofa. We do keep teh air mattress in the trailer, and use it for grandkids and/or other visitors. It just goes on the floor now. Used it a few times like that so far and it works great for us.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post
The new "destination" sofa is an option on many THOR products, it's a great sofa and sleeper, went to look at a Crossroads and it was an option. It will fit any RV as a complete swap:

This what our new Coachmen TT came with. We like it quite a bit. I was expecting the air mattress. I think the air mattress is a tremendous step up in comfort over the old jacknife sofa.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #10

What jeeplj8 said.....
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #11

Quote:

Had the same problem with my brand new air mattress. The Mfg wanted the old one back before replacing. No biggie other than the dealer gave me the run around and said they ordered it twice before telling me this. I contacted the Mfg directly and they took care of me and replaced it with a brand new mattress. I would suggest calling them. I am at work and don't have the info for the Mfg but inbox me and I will give it to you.
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #12

this provides me with a great start - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78 View Post

This is a great catalog, with several options, thanks. Albany RV is assisting as well...
Killingtonrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Thinking I'd blast this all over their websites with their paperwork until they decide maybe you're right. Attach it to their facebook and websites at every opportunity. The wheel that squeaks gets the grease ~ oh, by the way, you're right.
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

We love our airbed. It got a leak just after warranty expired and our service manager just said well sales made enough off you when you bought your trailer so I guess they will buy you a new mattress and they did no questions asked. Our old trailer had a jack knife sofa and I hated it but again to each their own. Good luck in your search for what will work for you.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #15

For those who feel the bed as uncomfortable: try a foam topper ~$20-25.
Just an idea. Incredible difference.
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #16

Were interested in that sofa bed??? Did you find any info on it? (the destination tri fold)

thanks
R&S
Georgetown 350 (2010)
rstoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #17

We bought a 2" memory foam mattress topper (not an eggshell topper) and use it on top of the air mattress. It helps, is fairly inexpensive and stores right inside the sofa.
deciccocpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #18

tri fold destination couch

I know myself and others were trying to get info on this sofa couch (bed) well it is now a new item at camping world (online only) I just ordered one to replace my pull out air mattress sofa (which I hate also) It takes about 4-6 weeks and I'll let you all know how it goes. Now we never have to inflate/deflate our sofa bed!!
by the way if anyone lives in South Florida and wants my old couch (brand new 2010) I'll give it away dirt cheap, it's in perfect conditon 68"" light creme color.

R & S
Georgetown 350
Old 03-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #19

I have not seen or owned an air mattress that has lasted over one year. So plan on replacing it every year or so . Just the nature of air mattresses.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM   #20

no air matress

crusader

this bed does not have a air mattress, look up the info on the bed the couch incorparates into the mattress very easy and convient

Tags
air mattress