Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #1

Putting in a post factory window

We purchases a 26BH Salem Lite last year. The bottom bunk does not have a window and we are considering the idea of putting one in. Any experience with getting a window put in post factory?
Kristine25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 PM   #2

Unless you really know what you're doing - go to a RV dealer and have them install one for you. You have either wood or aluminum wall studs and if you don't locate the window properly you'll end up with a real mess on your hands ( Like cutting through electrical lines or cutting a stud in half etc..)
Be careful...
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb800si View Post
Unless you really know what you're doing - go to a RV dealer and have them install one for you. You have either wood or aluminum wall studs and if you don't locate the window properly you'll end up with a real mess on your hands ( Like cutting through electrical lines or cutting a stud in half etc..)
Be careful...
I agree, certain upgrades are not worth tackling - pay the dealer. If you wind up with a mess, your wife will remind you at every opportunity

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

I know of no dealers I'd trust to do that, either. I'd bet the cost would make it prohibitive as well. ~$120/hr labor rates add up quickly on a custom job like this. It's funny that you want a window- we keep our bedroom/bunk windows covered with reflective foil insulation to block out heat and light.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Always Learning

Someone posted about having it done here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dow-55948.html
Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
2016 Avenger 26BH

post window install

Hi
We have a 2013 195BH cruise lite that I want to add a lower bunk window to as well. We have wooden studs and i mapped the location out while installing an outdoor shower kit in the same wall under the bunk, next to the fresh water tank. I am hoping to acquire a vertical operating window to fit between the studs so as not to affect the factory structural integrity. We are heading south to Indiana in July hopefully I can locate a wallet friendly one there. To buy one in Canada seems to be crazy expensive.
Cleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #7

I doubt most dealers will do this, but any time I've wanted a factory installed component my dealer (RVWholesalers) contacts the manufacturer and gets it to me. The prices have always been very good, too.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
2016 Avenger 26BH

I tried that, i was quoted $400 for a 15" wide x 24" h operating window. (measurements supplied here may not correct. the file is at home) I have seen and measured slides with the perfect windows on the ends. Could anyone share a website with windows that are priced? i all for buying in the U.S and paying the duty. it seems freight and the "calculated" duties seem to drive the price way up.
Cleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:54 AM   #9

I contacted my 5th wheel manufacturer and asked them about adding a window. They sent me a schematic that showed the framework for the whole unit and also sent me what a window would cost.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #10
Cyber Phrenologist

This project scares me and here's why:

All the windows and doors in my 5ver are mounted to wall studs. The wall frame was designed with the openings for windows and doors located in the frame so that they are supported on all sides.

Unless your new window is installed so that it is supported by frame members and not just the wall skins and foam insulation you may have problems down the road.

JMHO and YMMV. It might be OK after all, but this aspect of the project has me concerned.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:13 PM   #11

I know when we were shopping for a new camper we too ran into the problem of no window in the lower bunk. We discussed this with a factory rep at an rv show and he said that adding a window would actually void the factory warranty due to the fact that the structure had been compromised. Warranty would not be an issue on a used rv. Our solution was to just buy a different brand.
Coachmanjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory