Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #11

So the way I powered my LED awning lights is I ran two 12V lead wires back into the RV following where the power lead for the awning was routed, which for me was the front storage area of my 5th wheel. From here I routed the wire to bridge on the entry step light wiring, now I can turn that power on using the switch on the RV panel just inside the door, the awning lights come on with the step light. As an added option I installed a dimmer control where the wire passed thru the storage area. Works great.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmike View Post
can i ask how everyone is powering the LED strip lights they put in. running an extension cord? hard wireing into the 12v system? i am interested in doing this, but would prefer to hardwire in and use the porch light switch to turn them on and off.
Do you already have a porch light switch? We do, so I just connected the new LED strip to the original wiring.

IP66 is great. I use them for cab step lights on my truck and they hold up well with all the road spray and junk.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:50 PM   #13
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmike View Post
can i ask how everyone is powering the LED strip lights they put in. running an extension cord? hard wireing into the 12v system? i am interested in doing this, but would prefer to hardwire in and use the porch light switch to turn them on and off.
On one unit I just used a small waterproof junction box and tapped a 12 volt line inside the wall. I also used the remote control function on that one. On another one we tapped the outside light, again with a remote control, on yet another unit we got power off the awning power feed. Lots of possibilities depending on what your want, and where the power is located on your unit.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:20 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Google RF remote for LED strip lights.......stay inside and turn 'em on/off and change colors from your easy chair...I picked power from pass-thru light wiring..
Old 03-07-2016, 10:42 PM   #15

My tip for the awning light install.
Like most, I installed them on the side of the trailer under the awning, but I raised the awning up two holes on the arms prior to mounting the lights. When the trailer is parked at the campsite, the lights are visible when the awning is retracted. If I want to travel with the trailer, I simply lower the awning back down those two holes and the retracted awning now covers the led strip and protects it from the elements (wind and rain in particular)!

Tags
awning, light, quality