Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Denver, CO

Quiet Generator

Get a load of this. If anyone is interested I will publish a list of materials and such.

Quiet Honda EU2000i - YouTube
Old 08-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #2
Site Team

what are you doing to keep the temp down.
most boxes like this, need an air intake fan to keep the gen from overheating.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd be interested on how it doesn't overheat as well.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
Paul & Sheri

Impressive but that's an expensive fix for a generator that's pretty quiet to begin with. I don't see how to get a 30amp plug to it and there isn't much room for it and the adaptor. For an extreme noise requirement it may be worth the cost and effort to manufacture and transport.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

If he wanted quiet, why isn't the box lined with a sound proofing material?

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

looks like it is lined with something. There appears to be some cables thru the back too. He mentions something about mixing the exhaust and ventilation air near the exhaust box. I'd really like to know about the compartment temps too. I like it though!
Old 08-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
DDC

Air cooled engines generally need a good flow of air that is cooler than the exhaust, he shows a wooden box for the exiting exhaust but no air intake for both cooling and the carb, it wont take long to weaken the mixture if it is drawing already used oxygen. Maybe there is more to this that the video failed to show.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Denver, CO

Yeah, These are good questions and there is MORE to it but it is not easy to show it all in a short video, which is intended to illustrate the reduction in noise.

1. The ventilation and combustion air intake is below the generator and is a 4 in round hole covered by a screen.

2. the generator portion of the box is completely encapsulated (as much as possible) in both a sound deadening material, and a composite sound barrier. The "exhaust box" is also deadened and sound insulated.

3. The aluminum truck box is about 10 degrees above ambient, the exhaust box runs at 160 deg F, on high power. The generator itself is about as cool as when it is running outside. The only thing I noticed is that you have to leave the cover open for about 20 minutes after you are done running, as the inside of the box does heat up if the generator stops running due to latent heat and no air flow.

4. There is 250 CFM (cubic feet per minute) flowing through the generator and out the exhaust, entirely due to the Honda's internal fan.

5. I have a locking 15 amp plug and an extended run hose at the rear of the box that allows a dedicated line to be run to the camper power inlet, and an external tank.

6. I have professional experience in both noise control and industrial ventilation, so I kinda know a bit about the subject.

7. The box also doubles as a security measure for the generator itself and the rest of the box is used for storage. The rack is the stock one with a 250 lb capacity that came with my VCross.

I know this is not for everyone, but I love doing mods and I like the idea of drycamping with a whisper quiet generator.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Yeah, These are good questions and there is MORE to it but it is not easy to show it all in a short video, which is intended to illustrate the reduction in noise.

1. The ventilation and combustion air intake is below the generator and is a 4 in round hole covered by a screen.

2. the generator portion of the box is completely encapsulated (as much as possible) in both a sound deadening material, and a composite sound barrier. The "exhaust box" is also deadened and sound insulated.

3. The aluminum truck box is about 10 degrees above ambient, the exhaust box runs at 160 deg F, on high power. The generator itself is about as cool as when it is running outside. The only thing I noticed is that you have to leave the cover open for about 20 minutes after you are done running, as the inside of the box does heat up if the generator stops running due to latent heat and no air flow.

4. There is 250 CFM (cubic feet per minute) flowing through the generator and out the exhaust, entirely due to the Honda's internal fan.

5. I have a locking 15 amp plug and an extended run hose at the rear of the box that allows a dedicated line to be run to the camper power inlet, and an external tank.

6. I have professional experience in both noise control and industrial ventilation, so I kinda know a bit about the subject.

7. The box also doubles as a security measure for the generator itself and the rest of the box is used for storage. The rack is the stock one with a 250 lb capacity that came with my VCross.

I know this is not for everyone, but I love doing mods and I like the idea of drycamping with a whisper quiet generator.
Albeit great mod !

If you say its so then its so !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Seriously nice mod, Garbonz!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Get a load of this. If anyone is interested I will publish a list of materials and such.

Quiet Honda EU2000i - YouTube
Link does not seem to work for me. Can't seem to find it on Youtube either.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Denver, CO

Hmmm. It's a private link only posting, but I think about 110 have viewed it so far, so don't know what the problem might be. Anyone with insights?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Hmmm. It's a private link only posting, but I think about 110 have viewed it so far, so don't know what the problem might be. Anyone with insights?
I think it's my office getting in the way. It works on my iPhone.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
I think it's my office getting in the way. It works on my iPhone.
Ahhh. Danged Firewalls and other nefarious big brother activities.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #15

Quote:

thanks for the details! Good job.

Tags
generator