Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #1

Rambox and fifth wheel hitch

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has a Ram 2500 with a rambox cargo system and tows a fifth wheel. I am considering purchasing a new ram 2500 with the rambox and am concerned about making it work. I have seen some information that a sidewinder pin box may fix this problem. Any information would be appreciated. thx.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

I'd also guess that a Reese Revolution pin box would work. I know OldCoot was using a tonneau cover with just a slit cut out of it quite happily.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

This question was raised by another member a while back...unfortunately I can't find it. From what I can recall, the narrower width of the truck's box will interfere with the camper' pinbox while turning and someone mentioned that the Rambox isn't recommended for 5th wheel towing. Having said that, a Revolution pinbox as it can be locked would work. You don't indicate what you have or are looking at for campers, but the Revolution pinbox is standard on Rockwood/Flagstaff 5vers. If you already have the camper and would have to change out the pinbox, the non-OEM version is called Sidewinder and is also available air loaded as the 5th Airborne.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. We normally pull a 25rs Surveyor travel trailer, but have decided to sale and purchase a 5th wheel. My father in law has pulled a 5th wheel for some time and loves it. We have 3 children so bunk houses have been what is interesting us especially the rockwood 8286WS. I noticed that the flagstaffs came with a reese revolution but did not realize that they were on the rockwoods as well. Sorry to drag on, anyway we are purchasing a 3/4 ton truck to be able to tow a 5th wheel. I love the rambox just hoping that if I purchase one it will work. I am also curious as to where the fifth wheel pig tail will plug into the truck bed. thx
Old 08-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #5

I have seen pictures of the sidewinder and sidewinder airborne. I am assuming the only difference is the ride quality?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Reese makes the Revolution pinbox for the Rockwood/Flagstaff 5th wheels but are unique in that they are only 10" wide...standard pinboxes are 12 or 12 1/2" wide. Reese also makes the Sidewinder (which is the 12" wide version of the Revolution) and the 5th Airborne which is air loaded. Here's a link to a thread regarding this subject... Rockwood/Flagstaff 5th Wheel Pin Box Upgrade

Dave

Old 08-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
I am also curious as to where the fifth wheel pig tail will plug into the truck bed. thx
The camper's hook-up will easily reach the factory 7 pin connection beside the factory hitch. I wired in a connector in the truck bed on the TV I have now. Just need to find a suitable location minimizing drilling into the bed. The new Rams may also have a plug-in for an additional 7 pin connector.

Dave

Old 08-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #8

So they said it couldn't be done...tow a 5th wheel with my RAM the way I have set up, short bed with RAMBOX. It was a challenge but I finally got it done. My setup is a Curt 16K Hitch http://www.curtmfg.com/part/16116 with bed rails using the frame kit http://www.curtmfg.com/Search?term=16426 and what really makes it work is using the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder http://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel-King-Pin/Reese/RP61452.html I bought the Hitch and install kit off Amazon and got a great price on both. The Sidewinder I got from eTrailer. Very good to work with! I had the hitch installed yesterday by a shop close to me and they also installed a wiring kit http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Curt/C56070.html into the bed of my truck in a spot that did not affect the RAMBOX or the bed. I have a Bakflip bedcover and it fits perfect over the hitch. My neighbor and I installed the Sidewinder on my Arctic Fox 29-5E. All I can say is that it towed great going for a quick spin around the neighborhood. Tracked well and very easy to hook up and take down. I did have to modify the handle of the Curt Hitch as it had too much pull distance but that was easy, just drilled a new hold for attaching and then cut it back a couple inches. I will get the lock tab welded back on soon but for now good to go!. Hopefully this will help others that have a short bed with a RAMBOX setup that have been told it can't be done, well it can but you just have to work at it. The issue is only that you lose the area above the wheel wells but if you get a hitch that has a handle that either rotates or that can be modified you are good. I have a buddy who did the same thing but used a Demco 5th wheel hitch. You DO NOT want to get a slider hitch with the RAMBOX. If you only have a short bed you can use a slider or what I did the Sidewinder (which I think is much better). If you decide to go with the Curt Hitch be advised that Reese Sidewinder will NOT work with the new “Q” style, you must get the “E” style hitch. Has to do with the wedge that gets installed. Well hope this helps others with RAMBOX!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #9

I have a short bed with a ram box and a Reese 16k hitch. 5th wheel is a Rockwood 8280ws with a Reese Revolution pin box. Release handle is a bit tight to the side but it functions fine. Handles great.

xs1ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #10

I solved the handle issue by taking it off and cutting off a couple inches and then reinstalling. The handle on mine is hollow so no big deal to modify.

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch, wheel