Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #111

Excellent! Boy, I wish I had known about running two Honda's in parallel-mode (would that be correct?) when I decided to opt for the Honda 3000si. The reason I want to mount that Hond 3000si permanently is simply because it weighs 150 lbs, dry! I'm a pretty fit fellow, but my back won't stay that way if I have to pick up and move that thing very often! And the fact that it is so big demands a much bigger space for it. I would love to be able to put it between my propane tanks and the trailer, instead of over the tanks. "Over the tanks" just gives me pause. I trust a 300-lb capacity carrier with 150-200 lbs, but still...

Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #112

I had a question in one of my replies about carrying bicycles via a rack on top of the trailer. I saw a website that sold a carrier that reached from edge-to-edge of the trailer top. The questions that come to mind are: would a trailer structure handle the 50 or so lbs for the rack and a couple of bikes? Secondly, would the bikes stick up too high if they were mounted upright? (I could lay them down) I tried to mount my bikes between my Jeep and trailer last trip, but there wasn't enough room between the Jeep spare tire on the back and the trailer. I'm think, perhaps, generator on the front above tanks and bikes on top. Thoughts?

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #113

Deebarjay- nice job! I have the room to do it, just already high on TW. Of course, if I add the bumper rack for my baskets of wood...

Seriously- what's the difference between ordering the cargo rack from Lippert that attaches to the bumper beam rails and welding on additional receivers and supports and modifying a trailer hitch rack like others have done on this forum( and they did a damn good job too!)

I can get an economically challenged cargo rack and build the weld able mounts just like the Lippert rack. Would probably be MORE stable than the Lippert unit when done with the 2" .095 steel tubing.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 PM   #114

" I have the room to do it, just already high on TW" which is the limiting factor ? Woodstock or Clifford .
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #115

Thule on the Roof of the TV.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #116

Clifford. Already over tongue weight by about 100.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 PM   #117

I always over-engineer everything I fabricate, so I surprise myself with my answer. If you consider the 2 "Tee" areas of the bumper (where the bumper meets the frame members), imagine a 50 pound generator sitting there. That area could support quite a load. It seems to me that any problems would stem from a load that shifts and bounces, or a load that is not centered over the bumper and is cantilevered outwards. I would make something like this http://www.amazon.com/LowPro-LockDow...=lowepro+honda or just buy 2, and mount them over that "Tee". I would cover the units with a vinyl cover to keep the weight down and to keep the weight right over the bumper. I hope this thread isn't dead because I would like to hear some more feedback.

Tags
generator