Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2015, 02:01 PM   #61
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker_242 View Post
You're exactly right. I have my doubts that the bumper metal could handle the rigors of travel with a 300-pound load even with two reinforced points connected directly to the frame. However, I'm not convinced that the frame, itself, can't handle 300-pounds with two points bolted directly to the frame (even as thin as it is), which means each point bolted to the frame has to handle half the 300-pound load, or 150 pounds.

As I said before, all my assumptions have to be tested to determine whether they're true or false. And those tests would be under very controlled circumstances. I'm not about to put anyone at risk on a highway to find out if I'm wrong or not.

And if 2 receivers bolted to the frame can't do the job, then I may have to get a welder to reinforce the frame to support 4, 6, or 8 receivers until I have enough to do the job.

But most of you guys have the attitude, seemingly, that there isn't a solution.

I reject that notion.
I have no dog in this fight. I'm a computer guy with no knowledge of anything mechanical. BUT- I do read a lot.

There was a recent thread here on FRF where a user posted pictures of buckles in their frame near the axles on a Sabre. (I took note, because it is the same model as mine- a 36QBOK.) The Sabre advertises their full 11" solid I-Beam frame or something like that.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bok-80074.html

While there wasn't definite proof that it was or wasn't caused by hanging something off of the rear, the user has previously posted about his swivel trailer that he hung off of the back of it to take a golf cart or something. It was likely enough proof that FR and Lippert (the usual frame manufacturer) to say that it voided the frame warranty and that this is now the person's problem. If you're beyond warranty, it might not be an issue.

Again, I'm just a fool behind a keyboard- but it tells me that the specific attachment point and number of receivers isn't the whole story. The forces are transfered far and wide to the frame.

TURBS included 1 photo from the thread, but here are the others:

That said- I'll agree that there's a lot of snark that just isn't conducive to a productive discussion.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULTINI View Post
I agree some people have no imagination or ever strive to achieve anything out of the box. youroo , dude you have to take a chill pill.
I think He ask for HELP, I really don't care if he (Bolts/Welds/Glues/or Hangs) his ?? on the Back of his unit! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:02 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith954 View Post
Sorry for the confusion---Our Surveyor came with the factory installed bike rack. Our Yamaha generators are 44 lbs a piece. Forest River says- do not add any type of rack or frame to any recreational vehicle frame bumper or chassis part. This alteration may result in unstable handling, be a safety hazard or could damage the RV components. That being said our rack looks like it was slid into the trailer frame and welded to the frame. I have seen the frame of an RV bent because of excessive weight in that area but I'm not concerned with the weight of my generators.
It seems that Forest River is ignoring their own warning about adding accessories to their own frame.

I'm assuming you have two, 44-pound generators, weighing 88 pounds dry.
How is your carrier mounted to your trailer? Did Forest River attach the mount that holds your generator carrier?

How thick is the metal of your frame? Is there a chart that has been put together by engineers as to what weight a certain thickness can handle?
Stryker_242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I have no dog in this fight. I'm a computer guy with no knowledge of anything mechanical. BUT- I do read a lot.

There was a recent thread here on FRF where a user posted pictures of buckles in their frame near the axles on a Sabre. (I took note, because it is the same model as mine- a 36QBOK.) The Sabre advertises their full 11" solid I-Beam frame or something like that.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...bok-80074.html

While there wasn't definite proof that it was or wasn't caused by hanging something off of the rear, the user has previously posted about his swivel trailer that he hung off of the back of it to take a golf cart or something. It was likely enough proof that FR and Lippert (the usual frame manufacturer) to say that it voided the frame warranty and that this is now the person's problem. If you're beyond warranty, it might not be an issue.

Again, I'm just a fool behind a keyboard- but it tells me that the specific attachment point and number of receivers isn't the whole story. The forces are transfered far and wide to the frame.

TURBS included 1 photo from the thread, but here are the others:

That said- I'll agree that there's a lot of snark that just isn't conducive to a productive discussion.
Thanks for the photos! (I'm a web developer, certainly not an engineer! That's why I have to ask engineers for the answers. On this forum, unless a participant is a structural engineer, then any comment should be offered as an opinion or perspective, not a conclusion...)

All that said, it's VERY surprising that even a larger i-beam, like the one in the image, couldn't handle the stress of a supported trailer, which could almost be self-supporting. As I said, I'm no engineer, but I have plenty of common sense (ha! yooroo! ) and my instincts tell me that the pictured damage was unlikely to have been caused by that tow vehicle, unless he was towing it off-road on rough mountain roads.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
My question was not snarky it is something you have to think about. Your trailer does not have a lot of CCC so you need to be careful how much you put into it. My trailer has the same problem. I have a very large (for the trailers size) storage area in the back and I have to watch how much I put back there.
Tongue weight would definitely have to be considered. Since I two with a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited, I'm limited to a tongue-weight of 350 lbs. The trailer has a tongue weight of around 450-480 lbs dry. So, I had to go back and have a weight distribution system put on the hitch after one day. Being brand new to travel trailers (no comment, youroo! ), I "assumed" that the dealership would add weight distribution if I needed it. However, they knew all the specs of the trailer and the Jeep, but still let me pull off at least 100 pounds over my tongue weight. I thought the trailer and Jeep looked "wrong" when the rear-end of the Jeep was so low! I took it back the next day and had them install a weight distribution system. No problem after that.

That said, I could remove the weight distribution bars and need to offset about 150 lbs on the rear end. But the tongue weight is something that I was going to have to check, if were to have put 300 extra pounds on the rear end.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
As to questions about mounting the Gear Deck 17, the design of the twin-tube is such that the twin tubes are supported by a single 2" tube that goes into the receiver, sorta of like a "Y" shape. In addition to the youtube in my prior link, there's this one from etrailer eTrailer GearDeck Review.

By the way, one of the things that sold me on the GearDeck is that once you get to your camping spot, you can prop the storage lid up, and the whole unit is designed to slide out away from the trailer back so if careful, you can run the generator in place. I did that several times and the noise wasn't bad at all. Before I get hammered on fire danger, just let me say I did not fill a hot generator ever!
Given our discussion on the thread, I don't see how that works. It would seem to have the same problem as the other solutions. What makes it work?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #67

You know, given all the desire people obviously have to use carriers on the back of travel trailers, or, like the one guy, tow a one-axle, supported trailer for a golf cart, it's really surprising that Forest River (and other manufacturers?) aren't creating travel trailer with these capabilities.

As I said earlier, I would have gladly paid extra to know that I could have the added capability.

I guess there's a gap in the supply for the market!
Old 05-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #68

It's been fun, but I've got to run!

Rick
Old 05-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #69

Much like everyone else says.... I was looking for a solution such as yours but after researching and talking to FR direct I decided to go against it. This is the reason:

FR told me that it would void the warranty right off the bat, they said any modification or alteration to include adding welds not authorized by FR would void the warranty. Once I found this out I abandoned the idea.

Then I saw the same thread of the dudes 5th wheel frame bending due to alterations and adding a hitch. That guy had that hitch affixed to the frame and look what happened. His 5th wheel frame is stronger than my frame so I was glad I didn't try it.

The bottom line is, it is your trailer, you can do whatever you want, but be warned if something goes wrong you are on your own with FR, they will not warranty it just like the guy and his 5th wheel, they denied him for the same reasons.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:46 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Several members have touched on this, but loading weight on the rear bumper takes away from the tongue weight. On my trailer, 40 lbs. near the back of the trailer takes away 15 lbs. from the tongue. The weight of the rack, plus several generators could easily come to 200 lbs sitting behind the bumper. If that weight were at the back of the trailer, that would 75 lbs. taken from the tongue weight....and more than that because it sits behind the bumper. For trailers that are close to the recommended trailer tongue to total weight of 10%, adding another 200 lbs. to the total weight, while taking a minimum of 75 lbs. off of the tongue could get below the the 10% ratio, resulting in more trailer sway.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:55 PM   #71
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker_242 View Post
Given our discussion on the thread, I don't see how that works. It would seem to have the same problem as the other solutions. What makes it work?
Its Aero's design that has cross structure support.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:25 PM   #72
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
Its Aero's design that has cross structure support.
It still relies on the single 2" tube mount in the center and that's where the slop is. Unless you add bolts in the collar of the 2" receiver to tighten the tube, the rack will still wobble from side to side, up and down and that is what breaks the trailer frames, bumpers, etc. Have yet to follow any racks on the back of rvs that don't bounce, etc.
Old 05-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #73
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
It still relies on the single 2" tube mount in the center and that's where the slop is. Unless you add bolts in the collar of the 2" receiver to tighten the tube, the rack will still wobble from side to side, up and down and that is what breaks the trailer frames, bumpers, etc. Have yet to follow any racks on the back of rvs that don't bounce, etc.
Aero includes spring loaded anti-wobble bolts for the receiver slot as well as the center slide pole. But to your point, it is not as rigid as a dual receiver would be. But its not bad and the ability to slide out is really nice.
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The wt of the sticker is about the limit.
I have to "respectfully" disagree. I have a 9" x 2 1/2" rectangular and an 8" oval bumper sticker on mine and it seems to be riding just fine. I was thinking about a 3" round one as well, but didn't want to push my luck.

rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #75
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
I have to "respectfully" disagree. I have a 9" x 2 1/2" rectangular and an 8" oval bumper sticker on mine and it seems to be riding just fine. I was thinking about a 3" round one as well, but didn't want to push my luck.

If you add straps from the top of the frame around the bumper and back into the bottom of the frame on both sides, you might be ok. Just make sure you use ss hardware so it doesn't rust.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 PM   #76

i started this...i'll end it.

I AINT GONNA DO IT [yes..shouting.] I posed the ? without looking at the frame....by golly it is only a 3piece welded I-beam...looks like 3/32ths" I weld some and cant see a way around it. boys, this post wasn't meant to turn into a brouhaha.. whisky tango foxtrot.
hey ol coot... I have an h&s tuned 2008 6.4 ford churning out many horses and lbs of torque and an 8ft box with an extra 50 gal aux tank...I was just trying to save my 77 yr.old bod from having to heft 80/piece into the box. I like fabricating but this bumper thing aint gonna happen. so yall rest easy.
see ya on the road men.
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
I AINT GONNA DO IT [yes..shouting.] I posed the ? without looking at the frame....by golly it is only a 3piece welded I-beam...looks like 3/32ths" I weld some and cant see a way around it. boys, this post wasn't meant to turn into a brouhaha.. whisky tango foxtrot.
hey ol coot... I have an h&s tuned 2008 6.4 ford churning out many horses and lbs of torque and an 8ft box with an extra 50 gal aux tank...I was just trying to save my 77 yr.old bod from having to heft 80/piece into the box. I like fabricating but this bumper thing aint gonna happen. so yall rest easy.
see ya on the road men.

Hahahah I don't know exactly why but this post made me chuckle. No disrespect, I just kept reading it in different voices and started laughing. Good choice and happy camping!

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:07 PM   #78

I agree with others. If there is a sticker that states not to, I wouldn't chance it. Is there any reason why you couldn't just put them inside your trailer? I would think that would be much safer and less prone to theft. Out of sight out of mind. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry01 View Post
I agree with others. If there is a sticker that states not to, I wouldn't chance it. Is there any reason why you couldn't just put them inside your trailer? I would think that would be much safer and less prone to theft. Out of sight out of mind. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Or a front mounted hitch with the "Rack" of your choice?......
Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 PM   #80

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

Has anyone mentioned above the tank mount? The A Frame can handle the weight. Load in the trailer appropriately and there ya go.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator