Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 06:02 AM   #81

I have a 1905 and would not consider mounting anything of weight. I mounted a 6" square plastic post cover for my drain pipe. I used self tapping screws into the frame. The fact it was that easy to put a hole in the frame has completely removed that from my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Jhochst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #82
Love RVing

The problem is the distance from the wheels to the bumper make a spring board of the bumper rack. I've been hauling 350# wheelchair several thousand miles. I had the standard 4" bumper replaced with 4x4x1/4 with extra bracing. However, twice the 2" male end of the electric lift stressed and failed (at different joints). Last time I built male end of 2" solid stock and added turnbuckles for constant tension to bumper and extra belt from back of lift to bumper. About 1,000 miles later, so far sooo good. I do have to tighten bolts constantly on chair after a trip. One failure happened downtown Atlanta in center of 7 lanes at 55mph 2 pm Friday. We're considering trading the'06 Cedar Creek for one the chair will go inside for haul.
burse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #83
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by burse View Post
The problem is the distance from the wheels to the bumper make a spring board of the bumper rack.
Exactly!

The stress point just moves further forward!

I'm not sure why some people can't think this through!

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "4 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #84

another idea...dont shoot me!

trailer frame hitch is stout tubing carrying 2 30lb propane tanks and 2 batteries and electric jack.... there is room above the batteries and between the propane tanks and the trailer front to hold 2 Honda gens....could weld a stealproof frame real easy and it would add to the pin weight rather than if gens were rear bumper mounted.
now what do you think .
deebarjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #85
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebarjay View Post
trailer frame hitch is stout tubing carrying 2 30lb propane tanks and 2 batteries and electric jack.... there is room above the batteries and between the propane tanks and the trailer front to hold 2 Honda gens....could weld a stealproof frame real easy and it would add to the pin weight rather than if gens were rear bumper mounted.
now what do you think .
If you have "wiggle" room on ccc I'd say [emoji106]

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #86

He already stated his TV max pin weight is 350 lbs and he is over that already, unless you have a 350 lbs without WDH and a different weight with WDH. I do not know the specs on a Jeep wrangler unlimited.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #87
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
He already stated his TV max pin weight is 350 lbs and he is over that already, unless you have a 350 lbs without WDH and a different weight with WDH. I do not know the specs on a Jeep wrangler unlimited.
Which is why I said if. Lol

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-06-2015, 12:23 PM   #88

brings up another ?

the trailer pin in specs is 499lbs.....I assumed forest river builds to the average tow vehicle limit.... f150 max pin weight 500lbs.... just so as they can sell the units......the front section that hooks up to the truck on the rockwood 2109 is very stout formed steel tubing and stoutly attached to trailer frame....adding 170lbs max looks very doable without trying to hedge safety.
my tow truck is a 2008 f250 6.4 longbox with more than enough pin weight capacity.....this is a whole different ballgame than trying to add weight to the rear bumper.
I know mama's boys will naysay again, but I think I'm gonna do it.........where the heck did the wrangler jeep come from.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #89

Sorry got you confused with stryker. And calling people on here mama's boys is not going to win you any friends but you obviously you don't care about that. I don't understand why people come on a forum like this and then get mad at the people on it when they don't say what the person wants to hear.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #90
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Sorry got you confused with stryker. And calling people on here mama's boys is not going to win you any friends but you obviously you don't care about that. I don't understand why people come on a forum like this and then get mad at the people on it when they don't say what the person wants to hear.
That's easy to do when a thread gets tagged on to from someone else.
Info gets mixed up.

TURBS
2015 camping "4 nights"
Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #91

I would say your new line of thinking is better than the old path. I've thought about putting my genny up there for awhile.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #92

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
the trailer pin in specs is 499lbs.....I assumed forest river builds to the average tow vehicle limit.... f150 max pin weight 500lbs.... just so as they can sell the units......the front section that hooks up to the truck on the rockwood 2109 is very stout formed steel tubing and stoutly attached to trailer frame....adding 170lbs max looks very doable without trying to hedge safety.
my tow truck is a 2008 f250 6.4 longbox with more than enough pin weight capacity.....this is a whole different ballgame than trying to add weight to the rear bumper.
I know mama's boys will naysay again, but I think I'm gonna do it.........where the heck did the wrangler jeep come from.
Your F 150 Rating is way off. My Pin weight is 1950 lbs on my F 150.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #93

I'm talking bumper.......not 5th wheel.
Do not exceed trailer weight of 5,000 lbs. when towing with bumper only.

• Trailer tongue load weight should be 10-15% of total loaded trailer weight. Make sure vehicle payload (reduce by option weight) will accommodate trailer tongue load weight and weight
of passengers and cargo added to towing vehicle. Addition of trailer tongue load weight and weight of passengers and cargo cannot cause vehicle weights to exceed rear GAWR or GVWR.
These ratings can be found on the vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Label.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #94

That is if you are pulling with a ball attached to the bumper and don't have a separate receiver hitch installed. I have the same thing on my RAM. I would need a very tall trailer to not be extremely nose high if I tried to pull with a ball on my bumper.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #95

you are totally right.....egg on my face...that whats happens when you are a mama's boy ...just last week I was camped down the road from a guy pulling a 30ft bumper pull with a 2013 f150 with 3.5 ecoboost....he loved the way the truck handled the weight...used an expensive load leveling apparatus. I was wrong...thanks for pointing it out.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #96

Must make modifications first.

My rear bumper did not have the warning sticker. It had a spare tire on a mount to the rear tube. I moved it to the side and added a bike rack with two bikes. It made the rear square tube weak at the points where it was welded to the frame ends. You could see it starting to pull away. I'm sure it could have been done with a trip to the welding shop to weld on additional brackets to support the tube. The prior poster was talking about the movement from the rear mounted bikes and it is true, i have seen several in the back of trailers bouncing around like two bobcats in a blanket.

Now i have a newer trailer, since I bought it The newest ones come with a rack from LGI industries (lippert). I'm thinking of doing the same thing. But for my particular model I would need to cut off the rear tube, weld 6"extensions to my rear frame rails, make sure they are properly welded, and re weld on the rear bumper tube. I will probably use some additional bracketry to ensure proper strength. Finally I will add the lippert rear rack that supports the bikes from the bottom, or wood, generator or anything else i want back there. I plan on adding the shocks to my axles to smooth out the trailer ride. Hopefully that will do it. I believe this will be superior to what the factory is currently doing with their racks..

P.S. the Lippert rack actually clamps around the rear frame rails rather than the bumper tube. I have to extend mine because there is not enough room to bolt the clamps on.

Good luck, there isn't nothing that can't be done....Walt
dont tread on me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #97

I was thinking of inviting my MIL on the next trip. Was going to mount her seat to the rear bumper with a few u bolts or maybe tack weld. Any advice?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:32 PM   #98

Quote:
now what do you think .
Now, I'm the Jeep guy, just to keep the confusion down, with a hitch weight of 350 max, but I'm using weight distribution bars for 600 lbs (I'll have to verify that. I haven't thought about the max weight distribution of the bars since I first bought the trailer 8 months ago).

deebarjay... I considered doing what you're talking about doing: trying to put a rack on the front of the trailer. Two things give me pause, my low hitch weight capacity (not sure what the capacity is now with the weight distribution bars...anyone have a formula for how the bars change the hitch weight potential?) and I'm not sure I want the generator mounted on the other side of the wall from the bed. The sound from the generator, even though mine is a Honda 3000is and very quiet, may be a little much. I did put the generator on the ground cabled to the frame in the front and that wasn't too bad. But I can't imagine the sound level from running the generator from a carrier right next to the front wall, about the same height as the bed, would be acceptable.

Maybe some sort of sound absorbing material on the wall would help. But I'd really want to make sure, too, that we wouldn't die from the fumes that might accumulate!

(Can't believe you guys are still having this conversation. Now I KNOW that Forest River and other manufacturers are missing out on some money they could be making by selling upgraded frames and bumpers that could handle 500 lbs on the back.)
Stryker_242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 09:00 PM   #99

Now this looks promising...

Stromberg Carlson CC-255 Trailer Tray Cargo Carrier

If this carrier, at it states, will carry 300 lbs., then I can put my 150-lb Honda EU3000is on there, plus, if I can mount a light-weight aluminum enclosed cargo carrier, I can carry other supplies (gas can, tools, cables, etc., up to another 150 lbs) on that unit.

I want to be able to carry at least 2 bikes (one is a light-weight road bike) and the other might weight 20-25 lbs, as a less-expensive off-road bike.

If the bikes can't go on the back of the trailer, what about some type of roof mount with the load bearing points on the top corner of the trailer? Could the corners of the roof carry a load of about 50 lbs? This weight could be distributed above the axle, so there would be no stress on the frame, at least not completely on the back end of the frame. I'd have to check and make sure the height of the bikes, if carried standing up, would be low enough. If they were too high, I could lay them down if necessary.

Thoughts on this approach?
Old 05-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I was thinking of inviting my MIL on the next trip. Was going to mount her seat to the rear bumper with a few u bolts or maybe tack weld. Any advice?
Make sure you check her will first!

Tags
generator