Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #21

I have a rockwood Ultra lite 5th. Replaced the original bumper (very thin) with a 3/16" 4X4 for $100 dollars (my son bolted and welded)plus $80 for a Curt hitch. A bit more weight but I compensate by carrying the spare in the truck. I tow a boat or carry a bike rack.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyrett View Post
I have a rockwood Ultra lite 5th. Replaced the original bumper (very thin) with a 3/16" 4X4 for $100 dollars (my son bolted and welded)plus $80 for a Curt hitch. A bit more weight but I compensate by carrying the spare in the truck. I tow a boat or carry a bike rack.
Funny you should say. I am hardheaded and went with a 3/16 4x4 square tube as well. Ran 1" square tube under the 4x4 tube and welded to the frame rail. Also ran a 2x2 angle right in front of the 4x4 bumper and welded all of this up. Took spare tire off and welded the spare tire carrier under the tongue of the trailer (axle is still low point of the vehicle).

I am fabricating the generator mount tomorrow. Will post pics and let you know how it goes. Generator is about 150 lbs with gas and will be centered 9" behind the bumper. Hopefully with everything solidly welded and not sticking out too far, it will be OK. I will watch things very carefully.
hallielarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #23

The only disadvantage to the 3/16 is the sewer hose end piece won't fit so I store in a plastic storage tote. The rubber end caps also don't fit so I cut off the portion that went inside and glued them on.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:09 PM   #24

I stack wood on the back of my Rockwood ultra lite and have never had a problem
sschifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschifer View Post
I stack wood on the back of my Rockwood ultra lite and have never had a problem
Little different than hanging something a foot or more off the rear bumper.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #26

It is on the rear bumper....I use one of those bike racks that fit into a Reese receiver
sschifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmdfm View Post
I think HERK will be able to give you some advice on the rear generator mount.
Been there; done that.

It did not make it out of the driveway.

The folks here really saved my bacon on that one.

A total FAIL mod...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	30110   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	30111   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2324.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	30112  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgail4309 View Post
The dealer will put a hitch on the back. But they want a arm and a leg for it. They priced me 832.00 so I could pull my Jon boat that weighs maybe 500 pounds. Still under warranty. And warranty the work.
This sounds fishy to me. In order to do a "mod" like that and have it not violate the mfg. warranty, it is my understanding that they have to get explicit permission from the mfg. to make the change. I would be really surprised if the mfg. would approve a change like that (since the frame wasn't designed for it). I suspect most of the cost the dealer charged you was to cover the cost of some "special" warranty he "bought" on his own. (In fact, he probably just put the money in his pocket and hopes you don't have any problems during the warranty period.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #29
Denver, CO

My vcross has a cargo rack that hinges on the back. I don't know what it is rated for tho. It has the spare tire which is pretty heavy already, but in the down position the tire would be to close to the ground, I think.
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #30
DDC

Quite a few of the new units are coming with a fold down tray now, so what has been done to the frames to accommodate this, or have they just added the tray on and if that is the case why can't everyone who wants to just buy the frame and components to attach it??
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Been there; done that.

It did not make it out of the driveway.

The folks here really saved my bacon on that one.

A total FAIL mod...
I was thinking of doing almost the same thing! Why do you call it a failure? I have what appears to be almost the same carrier designed for a class 3 receiver, however the trailer comes built with a class 1 receiver. It's placarded for 300 lbs I think. The only thing I can think of as a problem would be the rocking or torsional moment at the hitch point, which could probably be stabilized at the outboard ends by fastening to the bumper. Awaiting your remarks!
Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #32

Prior to changing to my 3/16 bumper I had someone familiar with structural steel check out my ultra lite. He said the the bumper was the weak link. It had a bit over 1/16 thickness with mininimal welding to attach. With the new bumper and reinforced attachment I triple tow a boat with 100# tongue weight or carry a receiver bike rack with 2 bikes. He advised to center the weight when you have torsion axles. I probably wouldn't have done the mod if I had warranty since mfg. look for a reason to not honor a warranty.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
I was thinking of doing almost the same thing! Why do you call it a failure? I have what appears to be almost the same carrier designed for a class 3 receiver, however the trailer comes built with a class 1 receiver. It's placarded for 300 lbs I think. The only thing I can think of as a problem would be the rocking or torsional moment at the hitch point, which could probably be stabilized at the outboard ends by fastening to the bumper. Awaiting your remarks!
The Ultra-Lite bumper welds are rated for 150 pounds within 6 inches of bumper center line. The further from centerline you place the load the lower the weight you can put there.

I did not know and I was saved by Rugged Brown's warning. Here is HIS experience with a bike rack on that bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00301.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	30155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00303.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	30156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00304.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	30157  
Old 05-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
This sounds fishy to me. In order to do a "mod" like that and have it not violate the mfg. warranty, it is my understanding that they have to get explicit permission from the mfg. to make the change. I would be really surprised if the mfg. would approve a change like that (since the frame wasn't designed for it). I suspect most of the cost the dealer charged you was to cover the cost of some "special" warranty he "bought" on his own. (In fact, he probably just put the money in his pocket and hopes you don't have any problems during the warranty period.)
I'm not sure wasn't willing to pay the 832.00 for the hitch. But for 832.00 Sounded way to high for me. But that was wiring and labor and welding and hitch.
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #35

Quote:

The Ultra-Lite bumper welds are rated for 150 pounds within 6 inches of bumper center line. The further from centerline you place the load the lower the weight you can put there.

I did not know and I was saved by Rugged Brown's warning. Here is HIS experience with a bike rack on that bumper.
Thanks for posting this.

I don't know what our TT is capable carrying on the back, but the welding and I-beam look the same as the pics you posted.

GVWR is 7800Lbs
Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #36
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
My vcross has a cargo rack that hinges on the back. I don't know what it is rated for tho. It has the spare tire which is pretty heavy already, but in the down position the tire would be to close to the ground, I think.
The rack is rated for 250 lbs not including the spare tire. So maybe 300 lbs total. Pretty good.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:48 AM   #37

All of these posts, I think, talk about modifying the bumpers, do any of the ultra-lites come factory equipped with receiver hitches? Class 1 or 3 and rated for weight? Ours came with factory class 1 hitch rated for 200 lbs capacity, just went out to look!! Does not mention towing, in fact a warning placard says do not exceed this weight! Now I am wondering, exactly how useful is this hitch? We all would probably like to carry stuff back there, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist! I like the aluminum platform idea, however it looks like the only thing back there will be my spare tire!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #38
Mod free 5er

I think it boils down to the simple fact that those that want to add stuff to the rear bumper will do whatever they want to regardless of what others say. Some will be successful and some will be failures.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
All of these posts, I think, talk about modifying the bumpers, do any of the ultra-lites come factory equipped with receiver hitches? Class 1 or 3 and rated for weight? Ours came with factory class 1 hitch rated for 200 lbs capacity, just went out to look!! Does not mention towing, in fact a warning placard says do not exceed this weight! Now I am wondering, exactly how useful is this hitch? We all would probably like to carry stuff back there, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist! I like the aluminum platform idea, however it looks like the only thing back there will be my spare tire!
None now. There was a model that had a factory installed hitch but "legal" made them remove it after a year. (Frame cracks most likely).
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #40

Quote:

You might note that the welds did not fail.
It was the ultra-thin metal of the main frame that tore.
So for those thinking about adding any extra weight, or a receiver hitch to the rear of such a frame, consider just how weak that frame really is.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote