Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #1

Rear Camera install question

I am ready to install a Voyager rear camera, which requires that I tie the wiring into a rear running light. I am not sure how the running light lens comes off. There is some sealant around it . Do I just clean the sealant off of the lens, and will it just snap off? Thank-you for any help you can offer.
Michigan-traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:14 PM   #2

Don't know if you will be able to tap into the wires from inside the fixture. I Just installed a license plate camera ($40 eBay) and had to tie into the rear running light with butt splices and heat shrink. Hope this helps.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

Yes it should just pop off. You may need a butter knife or something similar .
Old 07-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Driver Dennis has the right idea, Tap into the wiring harness, use butt splice connectors and protect it with shrink tube, he did a very good job illustrating the install.
Yooper mom troll dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

Diverdennis, how does the monitor receive video signal from the camera? I just see two wires for power.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan-traveler View Post
I am ready to install a Voyager rear camera, which requires that I tie the wiring into a rear running light. I am not sure how the running light lens comes off. There is some sealant around it . Do I just clean the sealant off of the lens, and will it just snap off? Thank-you for any help you can offer.
Just bought a rear view camera and looking at the running light the lens pops off with a small screwdriver. However, I don't think just removing the lens is going to provide access to the wires. The base is going to have to come off which means cutting the caulking. I assume there is a hole behind it and I'm hoping there is enough wire there to pull some out. If possible I'm going to use small waterproof scotch lock connectors then drill a hole in the bottom of the lens for the wires to exit.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoes211 View Post
Diverdennis, how does the monitor receive video signal from the camera? I just see two wires for power.
It transmits on a 2.4G wireless signal.