Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Rear View and side cameras on TT

Hi Everyone

I just took delivery of my V-Lite 30 WFKSS and have a camera system from (Rear View Saftey) I have installed in the truck and am adding to the trailer. This system has 3ea. cameras on the trailer and one on the truck that connect with a single coiled cable and connectors on truck and trailer. ( 4 camera system). I have the rear camera mounted on a bracket I attached to the ladder. Note: without drilling any holes in the unit.
I am looking at the plastic fender well just between the two tires for each side camera. I do not want to drill into the coach if possible and I assume these plastic fenders can be purchased as seperate items if needed?

My main question is has anyone installed any side mounted cameras out there? and if so has anyone mounted them near the mid point over the wheels? This looks like a great spot but I am concerned about water spray kicked up by tires and how it might degrade image during rain driving.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

By the way I receommend Rear View Saftey, these are commercial grade high quality color cameras and 7" 4 view color screen. Nice...

BKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
Our Georgetown motorhome has the side view cameras mounted on each side of the unit right near the very front. Almost every motorhome unit I have ever seen with side mount cameras (regardless of the brand) mount them in this same spot. This allows for the best field of view alongside the unit from front to back given the wide angle that the camera lens provides. It is also ahead of any wheel well that may indeed create road spray to obscure your vision in rain conditions. Given that you are positioning yours on a trailer, and it would already be located behind the wheels and any road spray of the tow vehicle, your vision from these cameras may not be as good a location as for a motorhome. Only time will tell.

kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
Thanks Ken, I will let you know how it works. The spot in between the wheels is a good one and presents a good field of view for what is along side towards the rear like lane changes etc. The rear camera has a great field of view also. The nice thing is when I am ready to unhook I just unplug the cable and now only have the rear view on the truck.
BKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote