Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
I have been thinking of attaching my bike to the ladder on the rear of my Lexi MH using a CW lawn chair holder. Anyone tried this and how did it work? My bike is Aluminum framed and weighs about 35#

popbreed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant
since motorhomes have shocks, they are less susceptible to the bouncing that travel trailers have, since they don't have shocks.

that said, you need to check with FR on how much weight the ladder is spec'd for.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
I am guessing since I go a solid 265, and it hold me you would be ok. But I am not riding down the road hanging on bouncing up and down.

2011 Cursader 298 BHD
2012 F-250 FX4 6.7 Power Stroke
B&W Companion Hitch
Days Reserved for 2012: 39
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
40 years trailering
Hi Folks, I'm new to this forum. Just traded a 2002 Keystone Hybrid 21.5 for a 2012 FR Greywolf 26 FL. On the Keystone, I clamped a hitch receiver to the rear bumper usin 4- 3/4" Clamps, and carried 2 adult bikes on the BikeRack for the past 8 years; several trips were coast to coast. Didn't create any problems whatever.(maybe I got lucky). On the new FR there is a fold down cargo/bike carrier mounted on the rear with a claimed capacity of 250 lb PLUS the spare tire. If the frame's gonna crack--I hope it happens before the 1 Yr. warranty expires.
terrystevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
I asked my dealer to add a 2" receiver to my TT when I purchased it. He refused to do it saying that the extra stress could and most likely would cause the wall to crack near the slide out. His comment was that the frames on the new trailers were not as strong as the older trailers. I know some people have added a hitch to their TT and were lucky. But if the frame is damaged because of the extra strain they will be the first to complain about shabby workmanship and inferior steel on the TT.
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #16
Before we bought our last trailer I had the dealer weld angle iron from the frame to the bumper top and bottom, then I purchased the RV4 bumper adapter. Used a Outback 4 bike carrier. This setup worked great for 6 years until I traded. The only other thing I added was 2 ratchet straps to limit the bounce.
Tim and Deb Smith
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3008w
2011 Chevorlet Sliverado 2500 HD
tls5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #17
First off a little back ground on me I am a weld engineer I have worked for Reese hitch so taking some of that into consideration, I designed a receiver hitch that attached to the frame rails of TT, now everyone is right about the bike rack acting like a lever but if you gusset it, it will transfer the weight thru the frame forward just like a weight distribution hitch. A good weld shop will be able to do this for you I recommend using a good heavy wall box tubing .250 wall, the bumper is a joke but I actually did attach mine to the hitch it strengths the bumper. Now I use a Reese heavy duty bike rack rated for 200lbs and has a boat trailer hitch on it (I dont use that) I carry 5 bikes, but i do cross corner strap them to help with the rattle a little. Now Have been running this for beginning of third season on a Cherokee Lite no problems to date. If you would like some pics I can get them when I pull the TT out of the barn for the season and if weather holds out might be sooner than later. Hope this helps.
mr.hiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou
Originally Posted by mr.hiler View Post
If you would like some pics I can get them when I pull the TT out of the barn for the season and if weather holds out might be sooner than later. Hope this helps.
I, for one, would love to see some photos of how you did it.
Curious about the gussets. Just can't seem to picture it in my mind.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #19
Herk I welded the box tubing right to the I beam of the TT frame then on the front two corners of the box tubing welded in a 6-8 triangle going forward so creates strength up and down and forward hope that helps I firmly believe in over kill in a situation like this, the joke is the hitch will still be there when the TT is long gone, but i will get some as quick as I can the way I back my TT in the barn it puts the hitch all the way up to the back wall doesn't leave much room to get back there and take pics. Also buy doing all, that I built a spare tire carrier welded to the center of the hitch as the ones to buy where pretty disappointing and i don't trust bolting anything to that back bumper.
mr.hiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
On my Surveyor, there is an extra "C" channel welded to the inside of the I-beam and the bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3996.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	10901
I carry 2 battery boxes with chock blocks, as well as the spare tire on the bumper........still not gonna carry my bikes back there.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

bicycle, bike, bike rack, receiver hitch