Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 PM   #1

Reclaming some useful storage in Roo 19

I spent way too much time for a total of about 2 cubic feet of usable storage space, but it is in very useful places. I did this over a month ago, but I am just now getting around to posting about it.

The first was in the cabinet next to the entry door. There was a 'vanity' panel on the upper area that would provide some really nice to have storage space for gloves, hats, and other things that you want by the door.

The vanity panel was the cheap and easy way out for the factory since the 12v command center is in this cabinet along with a not so useful set of antenna connectors and a very useful (only one in kitchen area) 120v outlet.

I used pieces from vanity panels that I removed elsewhere so that the 'wood' matches. I found it easiest to cut the thin ply by just using a utility knife and good straight edge. I do have a couple of screws showing but it is nice and solid, and I had to 'build' it from the finished side so it was going to take a bunch more work, with my limited skill level, to hide the screws.

...above fridge cubby to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet-by-door.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	107313   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet-by-door-2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	107314   Click image for larger version

Name:	storage-cubby-1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	107315   Click image for larger version

Name:	storage-cubby-2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	107316  
Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM   #2

The second place that I gained some storage was by reclaiming the area above the fridge. Many others have done this one before me.

I removed the vanity panel and then cleaned up the factory's mess of a quick attempt at sealing the compartment with caulking to prevent gas (LP, CO, Ammonia) intrusion into the living space. I then re-sealed as I saw fit.

I started by putting down a piece of 1" poly-iso insulation board on top of the refigerator to add some insulation and make the space level with the 1x at the front of the compartment. I used the existing 1x framing to my advantage and added to it. This kept me from needing to put fasteners through the inaccessible wall behind the entertainment center or the wall of the wardrobe next to the fridge.

The insulation board, as well as the piece of 1/4" ply for the bottom of the compartment had to be cut in half in order to fit through the opening.

I checked the heat exchanger at the rear of the fridge to make sure the factory did a decent job at baffling for good airflow. They did with the exception of the panel that I removed to create the back of the cubby.

I used 1/4" birch ply for the new interior panels. I originally intended to stain it to match the 'cherry' finish in the camper but DW said that she didn't mind the birch, so I will likely just put some urethane on it. I still need to trim out the seams and corners and install the rear panel. I am waiting on the thermal switch that I ordered to install some vent fans, before I close things up. I do plan to keep that rear panel removable so that I can service the fans if necessary.

I still haven't decided if I am going to install a bungie net on the front, or a door that opens up with some supports to hold it open. Our Roo has the bungie nets on the shelves above the bunk ends so that solution wouldn't be too out of place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	above-refigerator.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	107317   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside-roof-fridge-vent.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	107318   Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge-cubby-1.jpg
Views:	169