Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #1

Recommendations?

I wasn't sure which forum to post this to so I guess I'll start here. We are very anxious to get out camping with our new TT. We previously camped with a popup and had that down to a science but are pretty green when it comes to the TT. This will also be our 1st year on a seasonal site so we plan to park the TT mid-May and stay well into fall.

We will be going to the dealer today to make some purchases but I'm wondering what else is needed/recommended.......here's what we have so far.....
  • Ladder for roof access to the TT.
  • Portable tote waste tank.
Small list, I know.

What do you use for an extra fresh water tank? We do not have access to a water hookup at our site.

Any other recommendations for "necessities" to get us started would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!
Jen
Scott & Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

While we carry a tote all the time, we do camp at places with partial and no hook ups often. Does your seasonal have a pump out "Honey Wagon"? Most seasonal campgrounds do and if so ask about price per pump out. Might be more reasonable to use the service.

"Not traveling" has a different set of priorities than moving around between full, partial, and no services campgrounds.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 AM   #3

Although this is our first time camping at a seasonal site we have camped at this campground for several years and they do not have a "Honey Wagon" (never heard that term but I'm enjoying this learning process) - although that would be quite handy if they did.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #4

Smile re: recommendations

We dry camp at Assateague Island every year for two weeks. With 2 kids we run out of water quickly. Last summer we purchased a portable fresh water tank from camping world. We love it!! It takes up very little space while traveling, yet holds up to about 45 gallons when filled. We put it on top of the Suburban to fill. Gravity pulls the water from the tank into the Roo. Works great!
cbsheaf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsssb31 View Post
Although this is our first time camping at a seasonal site we have camped at this campground for several years and they do not have a "Honey Wagon" (never heard that term but I'm enjoying this learning process) - although that would be quite handy if they did.
I assume a seasonal would have power and potable water at the site?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I assume a seasonal would have power and potable water at the site?
There is electricity at the site and there are water hookups scattered throughout for use (some sites have water hookups available but ours does not).
Old 03-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsheaf13 View Post
We dry camp at Assateague Island every year for two weeks. With 2 kids we run out of water quickly. Last summer we purchased a portable fresh water tank from camping world. We love it!! It takes up very little space while traveling, yet holds up to about 45 gallons when filled. We put it on top of the Suburban to fill. Gravity pulls the water from the tank into the Roo. Works great!
I have been doing some research and I believe I have seen the water tank you speak of. I have also seen some over the years that appear to sit on the ground right next to the TT but I could never figure out how it would work to get the water into the tank. I understand the gravity concept when placing on top of a vehicle, which is certainly a feasible option for us. Thank you!
Old 03-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

I carry a7 gallon jug for fresh water every trip. I made up a transfer pump from an old pump, some tubing and a container to hold it all. Saves me from lifting it. But I would not want to do that all season.

I would not have thought that big water tank would go on the roof. Figured it would be too heavy
fritz_monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #9

I have been to several friends seasonal sites and always see a few trailers not level after they have been have been parked for awhile, due to one side or the other sinking into soft ground. Level your trailer with some 5-6 ft. 2x8 underneath the tires and enjoy the season!!
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #10

I cannot imagine staying long term somewhere that there isn't full hookups ~ just me, spoiled I suppose...... You could cook with bottled water from WM and save up your water jugs at home for everyday dishwashing, tooth brushing etc. Also, hoping they have bathhouses for showering? Keep in mind, water is heavy to haul around.
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #11

Yes, they have showers available. We have camped at this campground for years, only with a popup and never had a need for water hookups. This is definitely an upgrade for us and initially we were planning on doing week-long trips throughout the summer but it came up that a seasonal site was available so we opted for that to save on travel and such. It just gives us other things to think about now

Thank you all for the input!
Jen