Old 02-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #1

Refrigerator Baffle Airflow Mod

I made a new baffle to increase airflow through the condenser of the Dometic Renaissance refrigerator in our TT. This will increase efficiency and make it easier on the fridge on hot days.

Here is the original Baffle from FR.
It helps, but a lot of air can still go around the Condenser instead of through it removing heat.

I've removed the original baffle here in preparation for the new one.

This is looking down at the two 120mm low speed fans I used to replace the noisy Dometic 92mm fans. These ball bearing fans move the same amount of air but are much quieter, go here if you want some.
Inside the RV when its quiet, you have to almost put your head against the fridge to hear these and they aren't running as much now either.

I fashioned the new Baffle from some sheet metal from HD, cost about $6.00.

This is the new Baffle installed, much more air will go through the Condenser now instead of around it increasing efficiency.
I used zip ties to mount it, the lower front edge of the baffle slips in between the fans and the outside of the slide wall.

This shows a closer view of the top of the new Baffle and the Condenser.

Larger pics available in my gallery.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:44 PM   #2

I did the same mod with the fans. The new fans are much quieter. Can barely hear them run.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:01 PM   #3

Yes, before we got our new TT last fall I had read the posts about how noisy the stock fans were. Even so, on our first trip I was very surprised just how noisy they were.

I swapped them within a few weeks, but just now got around to improving airflow further with the new baffle.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #4

Great write up! Thank you for the detailed pics too

2013 GMC Savana 2500 FBI Edition
2015 Rockwood 8327SS stuffed with 5 kids!

SE Michigan
Nights camped 2014: 48
BiigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:46 PM   #5

Looks great I want to do this soon. Is a wiring diagram possible? The new fans are 3 pin & you have to put the in parallel right? Did you remove the ends and crimp each color together? Thanks!

2014 3025 Windjammer/260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
The new fans are 3 pin & you have to put the in parallel right?
Yes, the new fans are three pin.
I just cut the computer motherboard connectors off, and wired the motor power wires to the old connectors I cut off of the factory Dometic 92mm fans.

The wires on the new fans are all black, and it wasn't clear which one was the rpm sensor I didn't need. On my bench I used a pair of 18650 3.7v Lithium Ion batteries in series, and connected them up until I found which was positive and negative for the fan motor. The fan's will run on anything DC from 6.5-13.8v, so use what you have including the 12V battery under your cars hood.

When you've identified the correct wires, just connect them to the connectors from the original fans and plug them into the factory Dometic wiring. Make sure you connect them so the fans blow in the direction of the arrow on the fan, and mount them so they blow up.

The original baffle on mine was in two pieces, remove the screws in the pic and the top section comes right out. There are three more screws holding in the lower section of the original baffle, two are near the top on each side and the other is just above the top of the bottom fridge access panel opening.

After removing the top section, I drew a line along the bottom of the top Fridge access panel opening, then removed the three screws holding the bottom section in place.
That made it easier to cut the bottom section to be even with the bottom edge of the lower fridge access opening. Now if I cut the zip ties and slip out my new upper baffle I have easy access to the fans.

I left the bottom section of the original baffle as it may help to keep the air closer to the fridge plumbing removing more heat on the way up.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 PM   #7

Ok, We are getting there!
So look for the two wires - neg and pos - needed to make the new fan spin out of the three. No polarity is indicated - Just make the fans spin so they move air up? right?
Also FYI:
In a pinch anyone can just remove the top plastic exterior fridge cover and the fans will never run because the heat can escape easily. Just hope it never rains or you can extend the awning during inclement weather.

2014 3025 Windjammer/260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
So look for the two wires - neg and pos - needed to make the new fan spin out of the three. No polarity is indicated - Just make the fans spin so they move air up? right?
Yes that's right, there will be two arrows on the fans. One shows proper rotation and the other shows the correct direction of airflow from one side of the fan to the other.

When connect the wires correctly the rotation and airflow will match the fan markings, just be sure to mount them so the fan blows up.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:16 PM   #9

Dometic Refrig. noise

Thank you for your help!!!! fkwalter
Old 05-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

You're Welcome.

Also installed another 120mm fan on the inside of the fridge, to get the cold from the evaporator fins distributed around the fridge.

Info on that, and a 2nd baffle I made for the top of cabinet the fridge is installed in is here and here. This is directly above the condenser baffle and helps to funnel air out of the top vent and prevents hot air from just sitting at the top.

Tags
refrigerator, modifications