Old 04-23-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
Refrigerator cooling fan modification

I have a 2014 Flagstaff Classic Ultra Lite Travel Trailer with the Dometic refigerator on a slide. Therefore it has to have a cooling fan outside the refrigerator since there is no ceiling vent to allow the built up heat to escape. The fan makes a horrendous noise as it is attatched to the refrigerator frame just below the cooling fins. Replaced the fan under warranty with another noisy fan. Dometic says it can do nothing more. The problem is the harmonic resonance created by the vibrating fan on its mounting. It is very annoying inside and outside of the trailer. It interfered with TV watching or sleeping. Moving or insulating the mounting would not solve the efficiency problem. The fan does not move much air at all, if any, therefore it runs long and often. Here is a modification that was done on the upper outside vent to the refrigerator. It would work for any refrigerator that doesn't cool well too. It really moves the air now and is no louder than a house refrigerator. I can live with that. Much more efficient. The first picture is the original single fan that came with the unit attached to the frame with a metal bracket. The source of the problem. The modification was accomplished with two fans and aluminum shroud over the vent cover. It is still thin enough to fit into its original housing without modifying anything else. Simple to fabricate with aluminum and screws. Wired into the existing wiring with quick disconnect attachments for easy removal. The fans draw 0.6 amps each. The thermostat turns the fans on when the temp reaches 150 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140422_151142.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	50794   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140423_150855.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	50795   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140423_151301.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	50796   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140423_150908.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	50797  

Jeff, Molly, and our 3 rescued canines..Abby, Presley, and Brad the Greyhound.
2014 Forest River Classic Super Lite 832IKBS
2013 GMC Sierra
Greytdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Originally Posted by Greytdogs View Post
Here is a modification that was done on the upper outside vent to the refrigerator. It would work for any refrigerator that doesn't cool well too. It really moves the air now and is no louder than a house refrigerator. I can live with that. Much more efficient.
Nice work! I did something similar to the little fridge in our pop-up years ago. The fan really helped to keep it cool in the hot Texas summers.

Big Bad Wolf - '15 Dodge Ram 2500HD 6.7 CTD / Reese 15k Pro
Wolf Den 3 - '14 Rockwood Signature Ultra Light 8280WS
Nights camped 2015: 25
Red Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Looks great. I had cooling problems with my rv refrigerator. Although it isn't on a slide, when it got hot out it was hard to keep at 65 degrees. I had no fans at all. I installed five computer fans with a high cfm. Two of the fans are behind the refrigerator monted on a bracket that i made from aluminum angle iron with no noise or vibration and the other three are at the top of the vent shaft. They are all LED fans so that i can see them when they are on. I purchased everything from a 2 amp ac/dc convertor that plugs into the same plug as the refrigerator, sleeved 3 pin wires and a power hub pad that all of the fans are connected to as is a switch that i mounted inside the rv. It all looks clean and out of sight. I thought about a sensor to turn them on at a certain temp but didn't. I turn them on and within an hour or so the refrigerator is down to about 33 degrees and stays there. Hope your mod works well. Nice job on it.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:58 AM   #4
I posted this previously with pictures. I added two fans to mine at the top vent. It really does help keep the refrigerator cold. Refrigerator Ventilation for Slide Units

2014 Rockwood 8289WS
2013 F150 crew 4x4 5.0L 3.73 6 1/2 bed
supersprings & timbren & B &W turnoverball
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch
Jerry & Lisa
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #5
Did the same mod on ours. Removed the high RPM (4k+) 75 cfm and very noisy fan and replaced it with two less than 1.2K rpm 88 cfm combined fans. Need to hold your ear against the fridge to hear the fans. Also built a shroud for smooth air flow at the side vent. Installed two small fans against the evaporator inside the fridge, no more dripping condensate from the coils and a fridge that stays so cold at 90 + outside 34* in the fridge.
2014 8289WS Diamond pkg
2014 Ram 2500 SB DC TCD
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
I have been dealing with the problem since we bought our new 5ver. Had a wamp, wamp, wamp sound inside plus the noise when running also seemed to cycle alot. Dealer said it's normal so, I called Dometic they asked me if I wanted to take it somewhere else I said "yes please". Took it to Camping World they replaced the fans and the wamp wamp wamp sound is gone and it is not quite as noisy, but still can hear it pretty good it doesn't cycle as much though so there was some improvement. When I get the time I will probably do the fan mods.

2014 Crusader 325res Touring Edition
2003 Silverado Duramax 6.6 Dually Longbed 2wd Crew Cab
Nights Camped 2014-51
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, fan, refrigerator, modifications