Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #41
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I can tell you we have one of those little computer fans and been using it for the last four years with NO problems...and it was only a few dollars!! Of course they would tell you it crappy to seel their upscaled pricey unit. :O

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlow View Post
RobKat,

I'm interested to know if this application improved the cooling and icing. If it's all about air circulation is it necessary to mount the fan on the fins as most have done?

Thanks, Hud
As I said before it stops any frosting on the fins as well as keeping the cool air moving thru out the whole refrigerator. With it off my temp is usually 37 degrees in refrigerator with outside air temp 95- to 100 degrees. Remember I live in Arizona.
With fans on it takes it down to 33 or 34 degrees. That is with my controls set to max cool.
Now this is on a big 4 door Dometic refrigerator with ice maker and water in the door.
Not a smaller 2 door model.
Attached Images

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
As I said before it stops any frosting on the fins as well as keeping the cool air moving thru out the whole refrigerator. With it off my temp is usually 37 degrees in refrigerator with outside air temp 95- to 100 degrees. Remember I live in Arizona.
With fans on it takes it down to 33 or 34 degrees. That is with my controls set to max cool.
We don't live in AZ, but have been in the same temperatures and with 2 fans on the rear of the unit above the burner and 2 fans inside, the control set on 3 of a max of 6, we maintain 0° to -3° in the freezer and 33° to 34° in the frig. Sat in MO this last Aug for 3 weeks with the 95°-100° sun hitting the rear of the frig and it still maintained the above temps. Wouldn't run the frig without all 4 fans. Only shut them off when we shut the frig down, which is usually only to clean it or defrost the freezer.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Not Hudlow, but the fins are the most "out of the way" place to put them as opposed to hanging on a shelf. Fins act as ground for the power also.

Thanks,

I'm in the sunny, humid South too. My camper is set up permanently now within 20' of a creek in a small mountain valley. Everyone there suffers from humidity problems. Space is tight in my fridge. I figure one of those fans would take up the space of two beers. I gotta make some decisions.....

I think I'll get a fan, wire it in and go from there.

hud
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
... I figure one of those fans would take up the space of two beers...
Either your fan is very large or you drink very small cans of beer. Fans are only 3-1/2" square and 3/4" thick.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Either your fan is very large or you drink very small cans of beer. Fans are only 3-1/2" square and 3/4" thick.
When it comes to beer....it's my policy to always overestimate...
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #47

Quote:
RobKat,

I'm interested to know if this application improved the cooling and icing. If it's all about air circulation is it necessary to mount the fan on the fins as most have done?

Thanks, Hud
It isn't necessary to mount on the fins but those who have I don't see that there is a big drawback in turning them off. Cold air is heavier so it will always fall toward the bottom of the refrigerator which displaces the hot to rise. Convection in the truest form. The fan unit I used is attached to the top just in front of the fins and the air is drawn in and pushed out directly onto the fins. The install made a big difference in keeping the temperature even and keeping the ice dams/condensation under check. The unit does not operate as much - before it was cycling more frequently.

We are happy with it - everything stays cool in the entire refrigerator. Putting warm food in the fridge isn't a concern. It used to cause the temp to rise and the unit had to work more to cool it back down.

Before I get slammed with that last statement - the cool load is the same with or without fans but the fans circulate the air better so that the fins can do a better job of chilling.
RobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #48

Thanks guys ! Great discussion on the fan units for the fridge. We have the 4 door, 12 cu. ft. Dometic as well, ordered the smart fans today !!
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #49

Quote:
We don't live in AZ, but have been in the same temperatures and with 2 fans on the rear of the unit above the burner and 2 fans inside, the control set on 3 of a max of 6, we maintain 0° to -3° in the freezer and 33° to 34° in the frig. Sat in MO this last Aug for 3 weeks with the 95°-100° sun hitting the rear of the frig and it still maintained the above temps. Wouldn't run the frig without all 4 fans. Only shut them off when we shut the frig down, which is usually only to clean it or defrost the freezer.

The difference is in the summer you have 80-90 plus percent humidity.
Here in Arizona we are lucky to get 3% humidity.
The amount of moisture in the air is what frosts up the fins on the refrigerator. Most of the time the fans are just circulating the cold air here in AZ. Now when we head back east or north is another story.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:47 AM   #50

Walke - did you get your fan?

Update - took a Christmas trip and the fan stayed in place. It was shaken, rattled, and rolled. The highways in Virginia tend to be a test of your driving skills. The fans just hummed along. We have very little condensation on the fins and no ice at all. We had it packed with food and it all stayed cold. I watched the temp and after filling it with all the holiday fixings it went from 34 to 38. An hour later it was back to 34. There is no way that it could happen without the fans.
RobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #51

Fans !!

Yes, RobKat we have our "Fans". Our Prime Time Lacrosse is in storage. Looking forward to installing, will do in February.

We will be driving through Virginia in March and looking forward to "no ice", we usually have 2 to 3 inches of ice on the sides of our freezer by the time we reach Florida.

Happy Holidays !!
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, refrigerator