Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #1

Refrigerator Fan - Who'd have thought?

We are new to RVing/RVLiving having purchased a 2011 360. The first thing that I found that didn't really work for me was the refrigerator. It is a Dometic 4 door - nice, but I kept noticing condensation and ice on the fins and water on the lower shelves. I spoke to others with RVs and they sort of had the same problem - in one fashion or another. I decided to start investigating on the internet for possible solutions.

I've been an engineer for a long time and thought I had seen it all.......... boy was I wrong. I now understand the technology but cannot, for the life of me, figure out why they designed them the way they are. And the price - we don't even want to go there.

So, being industrious, I started by taking each section of the refrigerator apart (not literally) to determine what drove the designers to use this configuration. Well, it became apparent - there's really no reason. It's just the way it is - built on a design from the beginning of the industry.

Since I have no say in how they are made, at least I can modify my unit to serve me better - no more ice dams on the fins, no more water raining down inside the unit.

NOTE: that little clear plastic piece that sits under the fins (to catch water) isn't always fastened well. That accounted for some of the "rain". Make sure it is securely fastened and the runoff chute is in the drain hole.

It is all about the movement of the air within the refrigerator portion of the unit. There is no way to modify the freezer - other than putting a full size refrigerator in it's place. That is not happening.

I searched and tried different options which turned out to be some rather comical items. A battery operated fan that hangs from one of the shelves. It used 2 D batteries and hummed the entire time it was on. It also made noise if sometime was pushed against it. Like that would happen in a swaying motor home cruising the highways.

Another idea was to put in a computer fan (on a switch - drawing 12V) that was fastened to the shelf (one model actually attached to the fins). Noise was tolerable unless something got into the blade. Again, not a keeper.

At last I found a company www.smartrvproducts.com that makes a unit that attaches to the top of the refrigerator compartment and has fans in it that blow directly on the fins. The website is a simple and fairly easy to navigate. They say the best solution is usually the dumbest idea, modified.

I went back to the site several times over a couple of weeks - finally I just gave in and ordered it. It came....sat in the box for a week (or two). Finally took it out of the box and read the installation instructions. It sat in the box for another week (my wife says two).

One cool morning I pulled out the carton of eggs and the water on the top dropped onto my warm feet. I made a time to put the fan in. I kept the box and wrapping - fully prepared to send it back.

Took me about 40 minutes to install - used the existing 12v for the interior light. The doors were open the entire time so the refrigerator portion, typically 34 degrees F was closer to 50. I turned it on - very quiet and has a blue light tint. The fins had a couple of ice dams - nothing big but a lot of condensation.

Closed the door and walked away - less than 2 hours later the temp was back to 34 degrees. As everyone with an RV can testify - nothing is slower than a refrigerator to cool in an RV. I checked inside (the thermistor was attached correctly). So, I closed the door again and walked away. A couple of hours later I check it again - the ice was gone and so was the condensation.

Let it run overnight and it's been running ever since - 2 weeks. The refrigerator is now the same temp all over (before there were pockets of cold), the fins are completely clear of ice/condensation.

The blue light - LEDs - take a little getting used to. The units come with or without lights.

No, I don't have any affiliation with company - other than to find a solution to a problem. It's just a good product that I figured someone else might light to hear about.

I'm happy and the refrigerator is cool - LIFE IS GOOD!
RobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Made my own with 2 ball brg computer fans mounted in a pc of alum that attaches to the coils. With the control set on 3, the temp stays between 33°-34°. Total investment was just under $15 for both fans and the toggle switch.

I think you will find it also helps tremendously if you mount a couple of the same fans just above the burner on the outside blowing up across the whole back of the frig. Cools the frig much faster and works great when the back of the frig is exposed to the sun.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
10x

I have seen that before. Problem is it takes up a lot of much needed space.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I have seen that before. Problem is it takes up a lot of much needed space.
Sticks out less than 1" from the fins. Doesn't interfere with storage that has bothered us.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKat View Post
We are new to RVing/RVLiving having purchased a 2011 360. The first thing that I found that didn't really work for me was the refrigerator. It is a Dometic 4 door - nice, but I kept noticing condensation and ice on the fins and water on the lower shelves. I spoke to others with RVs and they sort of had the same problem - in one fashion or another. I decided to start investigating on the internet for possible solutions.

I've been an engineer for a long time and thought I had seen it all.......... boy was I wrong. I now understand the technology but cannot, for the life of me, figure out why they designed them the way they are. And the price - we don't even want to go there.

So, being industrious, I started by taking each section of the refrigerator apart (not literally) to determine what drove the designers to use this configuration. Well, it became apparent - there's really no reason. It's just the way it is - built on a design from the beginning of the industry.

Since I have no say in how they are made, at least I can modify my unit to serve me better - no more ice dams on the fins, no more water raining down inside the unit.

NOTE: that little clear plastic piece that sits under the fins (to catch water) isn't always fastened well. That accounted for some of the "rain". Make sure it is securely fastened and the runoff chute is in the drain hole.

It is all about the movement of the air within the refrigerator portion of the unit. There is no way to modify the freezer - other than putting a full size refrigerator in it's place. That is not happening.

I searched and tried different options which turned out to be some rather comical items. A battery operated fan that hangs from one of the shelves. It used 2 D batteries and hummed the entire time it was on. It also made noise if sometime was pushed against it. Like that would happen in a swaying motor home cruising the highways.

Another idea was to put in a computer fan (on a switch - drawing 12V) that was fastened to the shelf (one model actually attached to the fins). Noise was tolerable unless something got into the blade. Again, not a keeper.

At last I found a company www.smartrvproducts.com that makes a unit that attaches to the top of the refrigerator compartment and has fans in it that blow directly on the fins. The website is a simple and fairly easy to navigate. They say the best solution is usually the dumbest idea, modified.

I went back to the site several times over a couple of weeks - finally I just gave in and ordered it. It came....sat in the box for a week (or two). Finally took it out of the box and read the installation instructions. It sat in the box for another week (my wife says two).

One cool morning I pulled out the carton of eggs and the water on the top dropped onto my warm feet. I made a time to put the fan in. I kept the box and wrapping - fully prepared to send it back.

Took me about 40 minutes to install - used the existing 12v for the interior light. The doors were open the entire time so the refrigerator portion, typically 34 degrees F was closer to 50. I turned it on - very quiet and has a blue light tint. The fins had a couple of ice dams - nothing big but a lot of condensation.

Closed the door and walked away - less than 2 hours later the temp was back to 34 degrees. As everyone with an RV can testify - nothing is slower than a refrigerator to cool in an RV. I checked inside (the thermistor was attached correctly). So, I closed the door again and walked away. A couple of hours later I check it again - the ice was gone and so was the condensation.

Let it run overnight and it's been running ever since - 2 weeks. The refrigerator is now the same temp all over (before there were pockets of cold), the fins are completely clear of ice/condensation.

The blue light - LEDs - take a little getting used to. The units come with or without lights.

No, I don't have any affiliation with company - other than to find a solution to a problem. It's just a good product that I figured someone else might light to hear about.

I'm happy and the refrigerator is cool - LIFE IS GOOD!
Very good blog, only have to tell you if you had that much condensation either a door wasn't closed or the infamous "flap" on the left door wasn't closing. I have experience with the same over priced box and the flap problem happened to many of us. That or a bad door gasket, otherwise where all the water come from?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

what are the dimension's of that unit , looks like it sticks down quite aways from the top

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

We got quite a bit of ice in Florida even though our seals are good. Humid air gets in every time the door is opened.

Will look into this mod as I like the concept.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Sticks out less than 1" from the fins. Doesn't interfere with storage that has bothered us.
I have the same fan setup you have Coot. I was talking about the unit that is mounted on the ceiling. www.smartrvproducts.com
Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #9

Looks like a nice way to cool. Not to sure about the Velcro holding the fan to the ceiling. We all know how Rv’s bounce around.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Here are pictures of my homemade one that works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00524.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	43739   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00525.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	43740  
Old 12-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mine works just fine to, and most likely the least elaborate one on the forum.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131212_081501.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	43741
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #12

Quote:

That little tray under the fins isn't to cacth the water - it was designed and installed as meat tray - it is the perfect size to hold the plastic bags of cold cuts from the deli. Just ask my DW We don't seem to get a lot of condensation, but when you stuff the drip tray full of ham, you end up with water in the bottom of the fridge.

During our PDI, the tech went on and on about his little battery powered fan he used in his RV fridge. But he never told us where to get one. Thanks for that link - think I'll get one.

This should maintain the marital bliss - DW can continue using the meat tray, and I won't be yelling about the fridge being full of water because the drain is blocked with bologna.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
That little tray under the fins isn't to cacth the water - it was designed and installed as meat tray - it is the perfect size to hold the plastic bags of cold cuts from the deli. Just ask my DW We don't seem to get a lot of condensation, but when you stuff the drip tray full of ham, you end up with water in the bottom of the fridge.

During our PDI, the tech went on and on about his little battery powered fan he used in his RV fridge. But he never told us where to get one. Thanks for that link - think I'll get one.

This should maintain the marital bliss - DW can continue using the meat tray, and I won't be yelling about the fridge being full of water because the drain is blocked with bologna.
Just make sure your OK with losing ceiling height space. I think a better solution is to mount it on the fins, but to each his own.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
...During our PDI, the tech went on and on about his little battery powered fan he used in his RV fridge. But he never told us where to get one. Thanks for that link - think I'll get one...
I think you will be disappointed with the battery powered one which requires replacing batteries all too often. IMO, just get a ball brg computer fan and wire it into 12 volts.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

I think you will be disappointed with the battery powered one which requires replacing batteries all too often. IMO, just get a ball brg computer fan and wire it into 12 volts.
Unfortunately I have to agree!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #16

Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1surveyor View Post
what are the dimension's of that unit , looks like it sticks down quite aways from the top
It is about 2 inches tall by 23 inches long by 4 inches deep. It sits all the way back against the fins. We have not noticed it cutting down on the space. The fans are on the bottom and blow the air out the back - against the fins.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #17

Nice

Quote:
Here are pictures of my homemade one that works great.
I like it - I did pay more that is for sure. I was going to ask - is it powered from the interior light? I noticed a wire in the posts. As I was doing my literal dismantle I found that the hot wire on the fan stays hot - the switch breaks the ground lead.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I like it - I did pay more that is for sure. I was going to ask - is it powered from the interior light? I noticed a wire in the posts. As I was doing my literal dismantle I found that the hot wire on the fan stays hot - the switch breaks the ground lead.
Yes, the fans are powered from the 12v power in the control board. The switch breaks the 12v lead as the ground is thru the frig fins.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #19

you have to let the thing get cold before using it I live in ohio and camp all summer no probloms with just using the frig as it works to many people just can not live with what they have and are to smart for everything
jkklops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkklops View Post
you have to let the thing get cold before using it I live in ohio and camp all summer no probloms with just using the frig as it works to many people just can not live with what they have and are to smart for everything
We turn it and the 2 fans inside and the 2 fans outside on at least 12-24 hrs before loading it. Have monitor in the freezer and the frig compartment that will tell us when the freezer gets below freezing and the frig to at least 40°. Unit usually holds the freezer at 0° and the frig at 33°-34°.

Tags
fan, refrigerator