Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #1

Remoting the Water heater elec switch...

...Finally got around to getting my water heater electrical operation switch remoted to the kitchen per Willis mod Water Heater Switch with Power-on Light , on our 2010 8315BSS. For those who may be contemplating this mod, here are some part #'s: Leviton Commercial Toggle Wall Switch w/pilot light #5226. Leviton unbreakable Receptacle Outlet cover #80703. (note - these are the dark brown color which matches oem covers and switches installed in FR units with darker wood interiors). Also this switch is specifically designed to "light up) indicating when power to the remote unit (water heater in this case) is applied. You need this feature to avoid accidentally powering-up the water heater before the tank is full and thereby burning out the heater element.

...VTX-Al

Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
...Finally got around to getting my water heater electrical operation switch remoted to the kitchen per Willis mod Water Heater Switch with Power-on Light , on our 2010 8315BSS. For those who may be contemplating this mod, here are some part #'s: Leviton Commercial Toggle Wall Switch w/pilot light #5226. Leviton unbreakable Receptacle Outlet cover #80703. (note - these are the dark brown color which matches oem covers and switches installed in FR units with darker wood interiors). Also this switch is specifically designed to "light up) indicating when power to the remote unit (water heater in this case) is applied. You need this feature to avoid accidentally powering-up the water heater before the tank is full and thereby burning out the heater element.

...VTX-Al
just found a switch yesterday at Home Depot. Ours is a Leviton switch as well, but I can't remember the part #. Most of the switches light up when in the "off" position so I had to really hunt for this one. And of course the BORG does not stock one in brown, so we had to buy the ivory one! And they don't stock brown covers. They're special order too. A bit of brown spray paint, and we're good to go.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	11704  

trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Also this switch is specifically designed to "light up) indicating when power to the remote unit (water heater in this case) is applied. You need this feature to avoid accidentally powering-up the water heater before the tank is full and thereby burning out the heater element.

...VTX-Al
I'm not understanding how this lighted switch prevents someone from powering up an empty water heater. If you 'forgot' to shut it off before winterizing, you'll burn out the electric element first time the camper is plugged in, unless of course, you filled the water heater first.

The lighted switch doesn't prevent the human error, same as without the switch.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
I'm not understanding how this lighted switch prevents someone from powering up an empty water heater. If you 'forgot' to shut it off before winterizing, you'll burn out the electric element first time the camper is plugged in, unless of course, you filled the water heater first.

Dave
We installed ours, not to prevent powering up an empty water heater, but just for the convenience factor.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #5

Quote:

Dave
HELLOOOOO !! It's a simple reminder

...VTX-Al
Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
We installed ours, not to prevent powering up an empty water heater, but just for the convenience factor.
All I'm saying is that it's a lot of work to add the lighted switch when you already have a water heater switch inside...dedicated breaker in the power control panel.

But to each, there own.

Dave

Old 04-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
just found a switch yesterday at Home Depot. Ours is a Leviton switch as well, but I can't remember the part #. Most of the switches light up when in the "off" position so I had to really hunt for this one. And of course the BORG does not stock one in brown, so we had to buy the ivory one! And they don't stock brown covers. They're special order too. A bit of brown spray paint, and we're good to go.....
Here's my source : Fruit Ridge Tools LLC

...VTX-Al
Old 04-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #8

Quote:
All I'm saying is that it's a lot of work to add the lighted switch when you already have a water heater switch inside...dedicated breaker in the power control panel.

But to each, there own.

Dave
Not on ours.....
Old 04-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:

But to each, there own.

Dave
I too have a dedicated breaker that I use.

What else is on that breaker if it in not just for the water heater?
2012 Wildcat 282RKX

You can't make things idiot proof, you can only make them idiot resistant.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

If there was a switch that would default to the 'off' position when the 120V power source is disconnected, you'd have a set-up that would be more preventative. I believe that most of the element burnouts happen when you plug in the shore power after winter storage without realizing that you left the power 'on' to the water heater after the last trip. The element to toasted after a few minutes (don't ask to how I know).

Dave