Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
DW's 401(k) Plan

Remove full top bunk?

Has anyone ever removed the full top bunk of a Flagstaff 27BESS or Rockwood 2702SS?
We really don't have a need for the full top bunk of our 27BESS (tried finding a unit with a twin top bunk) and would like to remove it to have better access of the lower bunk and storage area beneath it. Also, with the top bunk in position, there is almost NO A/C getting to the lower bunk. I'm even thinking of modifying the top bunk and make it a shelf.
Anyone tried any of this? I'm about ready to get my reciprocating saw out!

Larry - DaGrinch

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

Does the top bunk add any structural integrity to that part of the trailer?

If not saws all away, if it does.........
Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

I know person who removed their top bunk. Same reason. They never used it except to pile stuff on. They also removed the foam bed on the lower bunk. They then put in a desk, chair, shelving, and wired the area for phone, and internet. It's now an office. There's a TV area on the other side of the room. To access the area under the lower bunk, they cut that board, and added another hinge, and piston stabilizer. Last but not least, they made sure the weight differential remained the same from one side to the other at the rear of their TT. I am thinking about doing the same on my rig, but it's way down the list of things to remodel.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
DW's 401(k) Plan

Not sure if it adds structural integrity or not - that's a good question. But, just in case it might, we've kicked around making an "L"-shape shelf, which would retain part of the framing across the back.

I've almost got the entire aluminum tubing frame down. Problem is, there evidently are a few screws into the frame from a location that the screw heads are now in a wall. I would have to get a hack saw blade between the frame and wall to cut the screws anyway. So, I'm thinking it would be best to make the "L"-shape shelf, rather than take the whole frame out. This would still give me what I want; a/c accessibility and under lower bunk storage accessibility.

Larry

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #5
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
I know person who removed their top bunk. Same reason. They never used it except to pile stuff on. They also removed the foam bed on the lower bunk. They then put in a desk, chair, shelving, and wired the area for phone, and internet. It's now an office. There's a TV area on the other side of the room. To access the area under the lower bunk, they cut that board, and added another hinge, and piston stabilizer. Last but not least, they made sure the weight differential remained the same from one side to the other at the rear of their TT. I am thinking about doing the same on my rig, but it's way down the list of things to remodel.
Wow! That IS ambitious! We usually have the potential of having at least one other person "visiting" us when we camp; either or son or my MIL. So, we need to keep the lower bunk. An office sounds good, but impractical for us.

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
Old 09-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #6

we have a Solaire 267BHSK with two bunks, and found that it was really cramped and hot. So i experimented. I carefuly removed all the tacks and screws holding top bunk in and removed it. It is stored under a bed so i can put it back. So far i have not run into needing more space, not all the kids want to camp, or can spare the time from jobs all the time
howellma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Glad to hear we're not the only people who think the idea of full sized bunk beds is a bad one.
We really tried to find a Flagstaff Super Lite or Rockwood Ultra Lite that had the twin top and full bottom. We were told we could order one that way, but I really didn't want to wait the 8-12 weeks, which we were told, and the possibility of loosing the great deal which we received.
I'll try to post some pics as I jump into the project.

Larry

2006 Jeep Liberty Toad