Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2019, 04:38 PM   #1

Removing RV range permanently

Has anyone removed the RV range permanently? I have a 2014 Sabre 33CKTS and the oven is finicky and we rarely use the stove top. I'm thinking of going to a portable induction cook top. We rarely if ever camp where we don't have electric. I'm also thinking of replacing the microwave with a convection one. That way I get more counter space and storage where the oven was. Any thoughts?

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
dougschne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

Our RV came with the induction - Furrion 2 burner. Wife hated it. The power is shared between the two burners so turning one burner up automatically turns the other burner down. I pulled out the induction and replaced with a 3 burner propane. Luckily in our 2018 Cedar Creek Champagne 38EL the propane connection was already run and right there to connect to.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:54 PM   #3

Just my preference, but I can't cook on electric cooktops. Gas is how to go.

The oven, though, can go. Trouble is, it's probably all one piece. We have convection oven/microwave, and it's all we ever bake anything in. The oven is a storage place for cast iron skillets, for cooking outside usually.

But, I do know a guy that pulled out his oven and put a dishwasher in it. Sure was small. I could wash that amount of dishes in no time. But at least it was used for something.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:06 PM   #4
Kasual Kamper

How long are you planning on keeping the 2014 Sabre 33CKTS? Remember that your resale will probably diminish with the stovetop delete.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:03 AM   #5

Pulled out stove and cook top from my brothers unit, it is all one piece. Boxed in the cabinet and installed a small freezer in the opening as they are full time and needed more freezer space. There was a small area from the top of the freezer and bottom of countertop about 2” installe a slide out butcher block cutting board. Looks great
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 07:11 AM   #6

IF you will be using an inverter , some induction cook tops do not work.
FFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #7

Thanks all for your comments. I'm 99.9% sure we will not be parked where we won't have electric. Our unit is 50A and so no issues regarding volts/amps etc. Have an EMS to protect the electronics. Plan on keeping the 33CKTS until done with it unless a major issue/repair dictates otherwise. We'll be retiring soon and traveling a lot more. Hoping to spend several months as snowbirds so more of the daily routine of cooking versus the camping weekend/week vacation where most of the cooking is done outside. The induction unit I'm looking at is portable so not permanently installing one. Just having more counter space/storage space and not heating up the interior with the gas stove.

Check out my Blog "A Grande Tour" about our travels and other writings! agrandetour.com
Old 11-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #8
Always Learning

We have a convection microwave oven and a propane oven. In 18 months of fulltiming, we've used the propane oven less than 5 times but use the convection microwave oven almost weekly.

If I could get a gas cooktop, I'd ditch the oven and put something else in its place. As of now, it holds a couple of pieces of baking ware, cutting boards, and extra paper plates.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If I could get a gas cooktop, I'd ditch the oven and put something else in its place. As of now, it holds a couple of pieces of baking ware, cutting boards, and extra paper plates.
Furrion makes a 3 burner gas cooktop only which I have thought about doing.
https://furrion.com/products/stainle...el-gas-cooktop
I would take out the range/oven and put this in a new counter top and put in the convection microwave. Just a thought.

Old 11-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougschne View Post
Furrion makes a 3 burner gas cooktop only which I have thought about doing.
https://furrion.com/products/stainle...el-gas-cooktop
I would take out the range/oven and put this in a new counter top and put in the convection microwave. Just a thought.
Thanks for the link. I'm not the biggest Furrion fan, but it gives me a good starting point.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #11

As a "how to," you should be able to order a replacement cabinet that's the correct dimension to replace the oven...at least the door size. From that, you can harvest the door and stiles to replace the oven with something suitable to fill the space. The cabinet shelf/floor can be regular cabinet-grade plywood stained to match.

Determine the size door you'll need and look around your rig for something that's close...perhaps an upper cabinet. You might be able to order one using that info.

You may also be able to just buy a replacement door and a length of "stile" material that can be cut to fit. Conventional cabinet makers supply these materials.

Also get some stain from the manufacturer if possible. This can deal with bare wood at the cuts and rips. If they don't have it, your local hardware store should be able to mix a close match.

Now the hard part.

Wiring the new cooktop may be the biggest challenge, because wire suitable for this task will be on the large side (probably #10 AWG). Depending on where your panel is, routing the wire out of sight could be the hardest part. If your panel is on the other side of the rig from the kitchen, you may need to route the wire through the floor, across the underbelly, and up through the floor below the cooktop. This means dropping the insulation and weather panel on the bottom of your frame, routing wire safely through frame members and other structure, securing it to the underside of the floor, and shielding it from chaffing on sharp edges.

Be sure you have an open breaker on the panel, and then you may need to uprate that available breaker to higher amperage. It's likely you'll need 30 amps or more. Be sure you have space for this before you commit to the job.

The upgrade to convection micro may pose a similar problem. Be sure the circuit serving the current microwave has adequate wire size to handle the load of the new unit...perhaps #12 AWG instead of #14. The appliance will guide you, but if it needs a 20 amp supply, a 15 amp breaker and #14 AWG wire (typical of most RV circuits) aren't up to the task. Also note that the current micro may be fed by a circuit that also feeds several other outlets. If your counter-top AC plug is on the same circuit as the micro, you could have issues if you attempt to run, say, a coffee maker at the same time you are running the convection micro.

Retrofitting high power electric appliances where there were either gas or standard electric appliances requires careful research about their current (and voltage) demands and circuits available to serve them. And an RV dealer mechanic might cut corners on this part. So be sure YOU know what's required before you turn it over to some jack of all trades RV mechanic who might build you a fire trap.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Has anyone removed the RV range permanently? I have a 2014 Sabre 33CKTS and the oven is finicky and we rarely use the stove top. I'm thinking of going to a portable induction cook top. We rarely if ever camp where we don't have electric. I'm also thinking of replacing the microwave with a convection one. That way I get more counter space and storage where the oven was. Any thoughts?
We have the same rig. I went crazy trying to find a convection oven that would fit. Hope you find one. If you do please post. We use a pizza stone in the oven that really works (just a thought).
Old 11-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #13
RY3

Quote:

I did that. I have a rear kitchen 2017 coachmen. I took out stove and installed new countertop and a really nice sink. I use a portable induction cooktop and toaster oven. Works way better for me than the stock oven. Plus no sensors going off and no heat from stove.
RY3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:56 PM   #14

Quote:
We have a convection microwave oven and a propane oven. In 18 months of fulltiming, we've used the propane oven less than 5 times but use the convection microwave oven almost weekly.

I don't full-time but use my oven 2-3 times on my week long trips. Since I primarily boondock a convection oven isn't really practical for me. Only time the propane oven is a pain is during hot weather but if I bake early in the AM or late in the evening, with the fantastic fan going full speed the heat is less of an issue. Since I'm usually baking bread, muffins, or cookies, it's worth the short term discomfort

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Our Lexington 255 had a 3 burner stove and oven, all gas, but no microwave oven. We replaced the stove with a gas cook top and installed a microwave oven below it. We could have installed a microwave/convection oven but couldn’t justify $600.00 for that unit when a lot of our cooking is done outside on a grill. We are entirely satisfied.
Garnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #16

Pull out the whole cabinet that the range is in and replace it with a cabinet with drawers or storage of your choosing. My wife has a portable induction plate and she loves it. Our TT came with a convection oven/microwave that fit above the range. It hangs under the upper cabinet. It is a full size unit like you would have at home. Save the old cabinet in case you trade in your TT.
Grumpy7159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:09 AM   #17

Smile FishRich

Our Forester has the 3 burner stove top and a convection micro wave. We have a large drawer where the oven would have been. Use it for storage . Just a thought.
FishRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 AM   #18

DW only uses electric for cooking, (rice cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, griddle, rice cooker, crock pot, rice cooker, coffee pot, rice cooker, hot plate, rice cooker, hot water pot, ect.) so I didn't remove the stove top, but did cover over it, ... she's a short lady, so just like at home she uses the oven for a dish cabinet(at home the dish washer as a cabinet also), ... our first two trailers had very small counter top space, but doing that in our Micro Lite 25KS shes finally got enough counter space to accommodate all the cooking devices she likes to carry, ... shes happy, life is good, ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	218798   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender-3.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	218799  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #19

gas cooktop

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I'm not the biggest Furrion fan, but it gives me a good starting point.
I continued my search and just found this made by Dometic;
https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometi...st-iron-grate/
They also make several other if you check out the Dometic website.

Lots of great replies and I'm apprceiate the thoughts. Still kicking the tires on this one. I talked with a kitchen shop about the counter top and they gave a few good ideas as well. Since we have solid surface counters, I may end up replacing all three, island and side counter.

I'm still liking the idea of removing the range and DW wants a cooktop of sorts. If I could get one that is flat with the counter, I can see doing that. The Dometic one has a glass cover as an accesory which would make it better.

Old 11-07-2019, 01:25 PM   #20

Just a quick caveat about induction burners that I imagine most of you are well aware of. Check the bottom of the pots and pans you intend to use on the burner with a magnet. If the magnet doesn't stick, then it won't work with induction.
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote