Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Replace glass in door.

My DW and I are thinking that we would like to replace the frosted glass that is in the door with a clear piece. We would like the view since the 2 other windows on that wall don't really show anything when we are up and walking around or sitting on the sofa. We have a Rockwood 2306. We have a plan for blocking the window if we want privacy so that is not a problem. Anyone else do this or are thinking about this? Are there clear pieces available that are exact fit?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
My DW and I are thinking that we would like to replace the frosted glass that is in the door with a clear piece. We would like the view since the 2 other windows on that wall don't really show anything when we are up and walking around or sitting on the sofa. We have a Rockwood 2306. We have a plan for blocking the window if we want privacy so that is not a problem. Anyone else do this or are thinking about this? Are there clear pieces available that are exact fit?
Don't know, but why not a pc of 1/4" Lexan? Just remove the glass, use it as a template and cut the Lexan to fit.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't know, but why not a pc of 1/4" Lexan? Just remove the glass, use it as a template and cut the Lexan to fit.
I had thought of that but plastic, when it gets scratched, drives me crazy. And it will get scratched, or marked up from road crap and people washing it without knowing what they are doing. Although replacing it once a year or two is still probably less that a proper piece of tempered glass.

I'll have to fire up the "Google".

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #4

Might look in glass that put in fireplaces. Put one in a stove once about $30. We wiped it clean to watch the fire. Bought at local glass store in Arkansas. They ordered or cut on site. Took about 2 or 3 days to get. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #5

Thanks. I said tempered but probably the wrong word. I would want the type of glass that's in there now but just clear. Maybe shatterproof is the proper description.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Old 09-13-2014, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I would check with a auto glass company like Speedy auto glass or Apple auto glass I would say they could replace the window for under $100.00 installed. Good luck
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

I think you meant "tempered". Be careful about about plate thickness because it sandwiches between front and rear frames and must be correct to be watertight. I found stained glass, etched, monogrammed etc on line. Been quite awhile but can be located "Rv door glass" or similar. It's a standard rect/ oval and lots of companies offer them.

VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
I think you meant "tempered". Be careful about about plate thickness because it sandwiches between front and rear frames and must be correct to be watertight. I found stained glass, etched, monogrammed etc on line. Been quite awhile but can be located "Rv door glass" or similar. It's a standard rect/ oval and lots of companies offer them.

Thanks, good info. I thought it was tempered but when I got the response about a fireplace glass I had my doubts I used the correct word. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #9

I had used Lexan in our other 5ver.....worked great.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #10

Campion world has a replacement kit.
http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...ndow-kit/74221

wickedwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:54 PM   #11

On my previous MH I installed an Edwin window as a replacement for the frosted glass one. It's a two section window and the bottom can be slid up and locked open. It is a real easy job to install it and well worth the price. I just wish that I had thought to remove it and reinstall the original before trading for a new MH.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwyrm View Post
Clear View Entry Door Window Kit - Ross Rv Innovations B12521518KIT - Entry Door Hardware - Camping World

Yes, that's perfect. As soon as some of the other mods and repairs are done we will decide about ordering. Thanks so much .
Old 09-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwyrm View Post
Clear View Entry Door Window Kit - Ross Rv Innovations B12521518KIT - Entry Door Hardware - Camping World

For 120.00 ?.... Just needs the glass not the whole replacement kit.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #14

Take the glass out make a pattern of the original glass measure the thickness probably 1/8". Glass in a door must be tempered so take the pattern to a glass shop and have them order it. Or send me the pattern and I'll order one and send it to you. I own a glass company

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #15

We did this. We took the glass out of the door, went to a glass dealer and they made us a new clear glass window of tempered glass. Cost less than $25. Makes a vast difference in the amount of light. Plus you can see out the door! Love it! We put the new window back in with a bead of silicone so it is completely sealed.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door