Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

Question Replacing Counter Tops

We have done a lot of interior mods to our 2006 Rockwood 5ver. Replaced all the linoleum, new carpet, reupholstered the sofa, dining room chairs and all the valances, memory foam bed, got rid of the 2 crappy swivel rockers and put in a nice leather recliner with a ottoman, we even replaced the toilet. I am not a carpenter and a guy at one of the campgrounds we frequent said he could do it. We want to replace the kitchen counter tops (along with the foldout and the extension) and the one on the little sink in the bathroom. He said it would cost $800-$1000 depending on what materials we choose. So My question is that a good price? The price includes not just new Formica but replacing the particle board underneath it with real wood. I have seen this guy's work he is good.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #2

Never use real wood as the substrate for counter tops. Use the recommended partial board, which will limit the movement under your laminate. Real wood moves considerably, especially in an RV that has much greater temperature /humidity swings, than you would encounter in a house. As for the price, divide the lineal feet of counter into the cost. To compare, just call a kitchen counter top joint or two and ask them in general terms what laminate counter run per foot installed. That will answer your question.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Never use real wood as the substrate for counter tops. Use the recommended partial board, which will limit the movement under your laminate. Real wood moves considerably, especially in an RV that has much greater temperature /humidity swings, than you would encounter in a house. As for the price, divide the lineal feet of counter into the cost. To compare, just call a kitchen counter top joint or two and ask them in general terms what laminate counter run per foot installed. That will answer your question.
X2 on 2012WhiteSolera

I agree stay with the particle board. A couple days work for someone you believe in for quality work including labor and materials, I think his quoted price is reasonable don't cut corners and get someone and wind up with inferior work. Getting everything cut and fitted properly requires a skilled person, removing and replacing sinks, stoves etc is no small job so I don't think your going to do any better. Try this pull your TT into a dealer and get a quote from professionals and compare.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Some people use good grade no voids plywood as it is also dimensionally stable and stronger than particle board or MDF. just an idea and probably what your countertop guy is talking about
Old 10-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Some people use good grade no voids plywood as it is also dimensionally stable and stronger than particle board or MDF. just an idea and probably what your countertop guy is talking about
This would be OK in my opinion. Due to the laminations, plywood is stable. However, if you keep it water tight, the particle board would be OK.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #6

I have done quite a few counter tops over the years and have used both particle board and plywood. Today all I use is a good grade of plywood. I like formica with a decorative oak edge on the counter tops with a tile backsplash.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #7

Particle board or good quality plywood are your best substrates for Formica. You have different choices edges, self edge with the formica or you could a solid wood edge. Themself edge would be cheaper but the wood looks great and is way more durable. Something else to consider is backing the underside with a thin laminate, they make a backing material which is inexpensive. This seals out moisture from underneath and makes the top even more stable.
I don,t know what costs are where you live so can,t comment on that.
Worked as a cabinetmaker for many years, built many tops.
Don M
Old 10-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

He said what kind of wood and it was probably some kind of high grade plywood. I just don't remember things like I used to. I have every confidence in this guy after seeing his work just wasn't sure if the price was good.

BTW Thanks for all the replies.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

I have considered a solid surface upgrade for my travel trailer. I was considering trading up to an Aviator trailer, and it has Corian tops. Anyone have experience with having a Corian top made. I just upgraded to a stainless sink, because the plastic sink cracked. You can see that under... Travel Trailer/Surveyor/ Some quality Issues here on FROG The factory counter tops are adequate, but sure look cheezy....
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #10

Solid surface like Coriander will be HEAVY. As in you will quickly reach your GVWR. Stick with proven material for RVs.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Always Learning

BigTJohn, lots of people have Corian (or the like) countertops in if their campers. Mine's a big heavy fifth wheel, but I've seen plenty of others who have it.

The Corian countertops that are used in most campers is fairly thin with a front facade to make it look like the standard thickness that you would expect in a house. This is done to make it lighterweight.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #12

Corian is heavy. Even thin, it is heavy. There is a plastic "imitation" which appears to look like Corian is not. Class "A's" have granite, tile, etc but they also weigh in around 40k lbs. Toyhaulers at 18k GVWR are also not equipped w heavy materials so to keep their cargo cap as high as possible. Just trying to keep the weight down is the main goal of most RV builders (TT and Fivers). That said, there are some - owners and builders - whom do not worry or care about weight, fuel used, etc. just as long as it sells and there is a vehicle to tote it down the highway, they are happy.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #13

I googled the corian 1/2" @ 4.4 lbs per squ ft. and the 3/4 plywood at 2.2lbs. Particle board is heavier...I don't see a problem. My little trailer just doesn't have that many square feet.
I could lose a little weight(I am fat) and make up for that. You would never have to worry about wear or water. If I had the need or money. No brainier.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I googled the corian 1/2" @ 4.4 lbs per squ ft. and the 3/4 plywood at 2.2lbs. Particle board is heavier...I don't see a problem. My little trailer just doesn't have that many square feet.
I could lose a little weight(I am fat) and make up for that. You would never have to worry about wear or water. If I had the need or money. No brainier.
Truthfully, all of the options that I picked when I ordered increased it's dry weight by 400 pounds. That includes the solid surface counters, second A/C and a variety of lesser weight things (electric jacks instead of manual ones). In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that much extra weight.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Truthfully, the all of options that I picked when I ordered increased it's dry weight by 400 pounds. That includes the solid surface counters, second A/C and a variety of lesser weight things (electric jacks instead of manual ones). In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that much extra weight.
X2
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

All the trailers we have been shopping for have solid surface tops( or will when we order). On several I have looked at you can see the construction by stove tops. They are built with 7/16"-1/2" solid surface with 1/2" or therabouts plywood,-not particle board, but plywood underneath it for rigidity.

OP- on solid surface tops at lowes or home depo, it is $50-$80 a square ft. Plus edging and cutouts( some cutouts are included sometimes) and thats installed. And granite is $40 up to $300-400 depending on colors installed. ( I had about 100 square feet put in my home kitchen when built it a couple years ago.)
I believe formica is considerably cheaper, but most do use particle board, but I personaly would want it backed with plywood-marine grade if possible but thats just me, I hate how particle board swells.
- price seems fair with extension and all in my opinion!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #17

I own a cabinet shop and use a lot of plastic counter tops and the manufactures will not warranty them to stick to any thing but particle board.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:12 AM   #18

I did mine in the kitchen and bathroom....used particle board and concrete backer for my granite tile. All worked great.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #19

I an a Corian fabricator and have been in this trade for 15 years. I have installed 1/2" Corian counters in class A, TT, toy haulers and even hybrids. Still to this day have not had a warranty problem with any of them. It is a good product for this application. I even have some in my tent trailer now. The weight increase is minimal. To laminate covered particleboard.
T2mcnulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #20

i would always lean towards solid surface

2015 Silverado Duramax w/Allison transmission
2014 surveyor 293RL fifth wheel
1surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote