Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

replacing flor

Hi everyone! I have a Georgetown 375 (2004/5) and want to change the flooring. Can anyone tell me how to go about this? I want to replace the carpet and the floor sheeting with laminate flooring. How do you get under the slides etc? Any and all info would be appreciated.

I'm currently snowbirding in Florida but want to do this job before we head out to Alaska this summer

Cheers oldprof1
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #2

Hi, I am just about to start installing laminate in our TT. We ended up buying vinyl plank flooring. It looks like they refer to the vinyl stuff as "plank" flooring as opposed to laminate. Will help when you Google for info. on it. We bought ours at the King of Floors in BC. It seems to be their own brand. Not sure if you have King of Floors in Ontario? It's only about 1/8" thick which really helps. It's also a bit flexible which is good. Holmes Depot sells a version of it, but it's about 1/4" thick. I also read a lot of negative comments on HD's product on the 'net. HD's is also very stiff which I am guessing is a detriment in an RV since the floor will flex a lot more compared to a house. This stuff cuts with a knife so you won't need a chop saw.

At 1/8" thick, the King of Floors product helps a lot because the lower cabinet doors are quite close to the floor (about 1") so it doesn't leave much room for baseboard molding. I'm going to raise our doors a tiny bit to provide clearance. I bought 3/8" thick oak stock and ripped it down to 1" tall. Will stain it to match the cabinets. You'll need a 1/8" gap between the walls/cabinets to the "laminate" so you'll need a baseboard trim all around. Your toilet will come out easily and you can install the new flooring to around the flange. The flange will unscrew and move vertically since the outlet pipe is threaded into the tank below.

Can't help you with your slide as we don't have one. I'm guessing it's pretty straightforward. You shouldn't have to remove your old flooring, assuming it's vinyl. I guess you could since it won't be glued down like a house, but why bother? Carpet removal should be simple. You may have to slice it around the perimeter if it goes under anything.

If weight is a concern to you, be aware that laminate or vinyl plank flooring is heavy. Even though our vinyl is thin, each box, which does 24 sq. ft., is probably around 20 lbs each. So you could be adding a couple hundred pounds to your RV (less the weight of removed flooring).

One really nice feature of the vinyl plank flooring is that is is not affected by water and moisture. If you are in Canada and can get the King of Floors product, I'd definitely take a look at it. It looks to me like the vinyl stuff is relatively new on the market so there isn't a wide selection out there yet. We went into a big local flooring store and they didn't carry any of it.

The only other thing I can think of is that for baseboard molding against plywood walls with the typical factory applied wallpaper, is that I bought 3/8" pre-primed stock and ripped it down to 1" wide strips. Then I'll get some paint to match the walls. If you don't have one, you'll want to buy, rent or borrow a finishing air nailer to attach the baseboards. Don't glue any of it. You should locate the studs and 1x1" backing to nail into.

I hope this helps.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote