Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #11

M109Rrider, it could be E Stone, it's black speckled and "looks" like faux granite. No longer shines even with windex. In fact windex removes the finish. I will try your suggestion with Scratch X. I use a LARGE cutting board for all counter work to prevent further scratches. I believe this should be addressed by the manufacturer in future models. I told our selling dealer I hadn't planned on treating this counter top any different than the one in my home. He laughed at me. I don't abuse counter tops....just normal use...and it hasn't held up in only a few weeks of use. Thank you for all the help everyone. I appreciate all the input!
Lots of issues with our Crusader...I like it but am disappointed that corners were cut sharply in some of the quality in choice of materials. Will continue to ask for advice with other threads!

2005 K-2500 Silverado 8.1L 6 speed Allison
Midwestgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #12

Countertops

Solid surface (Corian, etc.) countertops will scratch but can be polished out using auto paint rubbing compounds after fine sanding with wet or dry sandpaper. You can tell if it's solid surface by looking underneath the counter and the pattern will be visible. Also the edge will be an integral part of the top.

High pressure plastic laminate will scratch but not as easily. Foils will scratch. I caution you on trying to polish out either of these as the color layer is very thin.

When polishing anything, a high gloss finish will easily show scratches, material faults, and poor workmanship. A matte finish will tend to "hide" these same errors.

My background is as a master cabinetmaker with 30+ years experience.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #13

Our countertop in our Crusader did scratch as well, although not too bad. We are careful with it and I'll buff out the majority of the scratches once per year.

You seem to have a lot of problems with your Crusader, have you worked with your dealer and/or Prime Time to get them resolved? We couldn't be happier with our Prime Time product. They have been amazing to work with. I've had a few issues along the way but my dealer and Prime Time have stepped up each and every time and resolved them all.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #14

We have laminate counter tops with T-molding. Hate them. Especially on the corners. Looks like they skimped on the T-molding and it pulls away in some places. We plan on replacing with a solid surface of some sort, along with the cheap plastic sink. We also are going to re-build the counter in our outside kitchen because it is sagging. We'll use solid surface out there as well. And we have to re-do the swing-out stove bracket as well, since it sags. All the cheap particle board will be replaced with good quality plywood and lumber.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #15

Thank you for all the feedback on my counter top question. I'm going to try a few products suggested before replacing it. We are 2200 miles from the selling dealer, traveling at this time. Two dealers here in the west have turned down our request for warranty work. Prime Time told me they have that option...to turn away business. We plan on taking our Crusader to Indiana for the major repairs now. We do LIKE our Crusader, just a little surprised as each day something new needs to be addressed. It will all be okay in time. Thanks!
P.S. We've been on the road since October 3!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #16

Crusader Counters

We too have the same black high gloss counter tops. Since the delivery we have been extremely careful on how and what we sit on them. Yes, they do scratch rather easily and hard to get back. You can wet sand with 2500/3000 Wet/Dry and buff it out using compound, similar to what you would do with you car finish. The buffing out is the hard part, if you can feel the scratchs with your fingernail, then they are probably done for. Stone would be perfect and taking them off is not a problem as there is no back splash to worry about, I would put one back in if you take the tops off. But yes, the design is not the best and the finish is even worse to take care of.
Note: we have changed the backsplash to something a little brighter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwestgirl View Post
I read the thread on counter top replacement from another member.
We have a new Crusader and just from placing boxes on it the day we were stocking the RV for our first trip the counter top was scratched up. (Sliding cardboard boxes on it!) I didn't realize how soft the finish was. Now, 7 weeks into our trip the counter top shows like it's been in use for years and I have been very careful.
When I spoke with the selling dealer they said they'd replace it. Why would I want the same counter top? I feel the quality is poor.
So...how much of a challenge is it to replace the counter top with quality materials?
Would the walls, stove area be damaged during removal or installation of new materials?
The sink? Would it reseal properly?
Has anyone had similar problems with their counter tops? It looks like a granite finish but of course it is NOT granite. I knew that upon buying. I am blown away by the thin finish. Another dealer told me they wet sand the counter tops and apply a better finish?
Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4280043.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	42937  
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #17

Replacing countertops

For those wanting to replace their countertops with something that needs a "substrate" DO NOT USE plywood!! Use MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), 1/2" or preferably 3/4". Unless the plywood cost $100.00+/sheet, will not be stable and the potential for delamination is assured. MDF is stable. Expansion and contraction according to humidity is minimal. Solid surface material 1/4" thick will be properly supported.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:13 AM   #18

LKicklight; thanks and your back splash is beautiful. We will be in Laughlin for the next 6 weeks so I will try some of the methods suggested to restore the counter top. We are experiencing so many defects...that by the time we return home I will have made my decision...trade it off or bring it to Indiana for repairs under warranty. Not happy with the selling dealer.

Tags
2013, crusader