Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2013, 11:58 PM   #1

Reversing leaf springs bottom to top

I need more ground clearance to store my 2011 240S FR at home (steep driveway). Can I have Camping World put the leaf springs on top of the rear axle which will raise the clearance about 6"?

Anyone know if this is a problem, will it void warranties etc?
happycampers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:19 AM   #2

My buddy had this done to his trailer by a millwright in his plant. He got the clearance he needed but it cost him 4 tires. Apparently, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the wheels are designed slant a little out and as you add weight it 'flattens' out. When you turn them upside down the slant increases when you add weight which caused the tires to wear only on the edge on his first trip.

I'm sure that a reputable place like Camping World would be aware of this and would install it properly.

That aside he can sure get into some lakes he couldn't before.
VTX 1800 Scooter
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #3

First off, if you "flip" your axles, they aren't actually flipped. the axle is in the exact orientation that it is now, just moved under the springs. A set of New axle saddles must be welded onto the axle tube.

There are good videos and instructions on line explaining how its done.

My TT had "flipped" axles when I bought it. I compared it's height with a similar "normal" trailer and I gained about 4" or so. For me it's worth it.

Some people say doing so will change the way the camper handles. I can't say there's anything wrong with mine. You will have to change the hitch setup to accommodate the added height.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #4

I've read on some forums that they actually make a conversion kit to allow you to do this. Some research might reveal this information. As far as the axle positive camber I would doubt that. If the wheels were cambered to accommodate the weight how much weight would it take to get them back to vertical so the tires would not wear incorrectly??? If I put less weight in my camper than you did then our wheels would not be cambered the same and one of us would have bad tire wear.

Oh by the way. Camber is always referenced from the top of the tire. Stand in front of a tire like you were going to remove the lug nuts. If the top of the wheel is tilted towards you that's positive camber (pulling your wife/girl towards you is a positive thing). Tilted away is negative camber. Sorry that's the teacher in me.

TeJay
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
FNG

Bracket Switch

My springs came from the factory on top of the axles but it looks like there are additional mounting holes and a hanger shackle that could be reversed. Has anyone out there tried this or see a down side to trying this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drop.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	25340   Click image for larger version

Name:	reverse.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	25341  
fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Explorer

I've done it

This is the link to my post with pictures, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ift-30930.html

I am sure it will give you problems with original warrenty but if you have a trailer shop or Camper World do the work they should give you some warrenty.
It worked well for me; i haven't dragged my back end since.
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #7

My axles are under the leaf springs now and I still had to add 'skid wheels' to the frame to keep from dragging my ladder on the driveway.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote