Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Explorer

Roof vent install?

I plan to install a 12vt roof vent fan where there is no vent; no hole. This will be a next spring project but I will be doing my research and buying one maybe two(one for bathroom too) over the winter. I have a 2011WildWood T26BHXL and believe by locating the install near the entrance ceiling light I will gain 12vt power. I am hoping to get good air flow with out AC/shore power and maybe venting while traveling down the road.
Plan is to find the right vent and talk to manufacturer and maybe an RV service center before I buy. I am also hoping others who have done this might chime in with thoughts and issues.
So several questions:
Witch vent fan with the fancy rear facing cover is most recommended or maybe an easier question is who has had problems with their fan? People tend to gripe more than they praise.
Has anyone ever done a new install and what were the issues to watch for?
Maybe I should contact ForestRiver too and see if there is a better place to locate with power.
Any other questions I should be asking?
New Mods to Do
John

Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Buy a fantastic fan (all in one unit)
Then buy some max air covers for the tops of your vents.

Make sure u locate roof cross braces

Turbs

Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

I second what f1100turbo said about Fantastic fans--they are really that good! The covers are a good idea as well.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
Explorer

thanks, I've been to FantasticFan web site. Looks like they pull 3amps on top speeds I need to check wire size in ceiling light that I plan to steal power from. Also this light is on a switch, light fixture does have its own switch but nice to have a wall switch upon entry.
I think I'll search this site to contact ForestRiver Tech for wire diagram and a recomendation on location.
Thanks
Johhn
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
thanks, I've been to FantasticFan web site. Looks like they pull 3amps on top speeds I need to check wire size in ceiling light that I plan to steal power from. Also this light is on a switch, light fixture does have its own switch but nice to have a wall switch upon entry.
I think I'll search this site to contact ForestRiver Tech for wire diagram and a recomendation on location.
Thanks
Johhn
You can't go wrong with the Fantastic Fans...We have two, one over our bed and one in the kitchen area. We also have a power fan in the bathroom. Sometimes we crack a few windows and suck the cool air at night in through the windows and out the fans. Other times we leave the windows closed and suck air in with one fan and push it out with the other. Really nice air flow...
As mentioned above I would install the Max AiriII cover over them at the same time This way you can circulate air even when it is raining outside...Also helps to keep debris from getting into the fan when open.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
Thanks
Johhn
my fan uses the light switch wire for operation . but I have two switches, one for the light and one for the fan but same wire feeds both ..

I high-lighted in red something you wont find sorry .

turbs
Old 09-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

Also look at the Max Air fan with the integrated cover already there. Simple twist know raises and lowers the louvered cover. I just installed one in place of a standard vent. It has 10 speeds, forward and reverse, adjustable thermostat and when closed it doesn't stick above the roof much more that a standard cover. It saves adding a cover over an existing fan. I've had one on a previous trailer and again on my new trailer. Been through many wind and rain storms and no leaks. If you want to add some $$$ you can also get it with remote control.
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #8
Explorer

I looked at MaxxAir too and Im gad you posted. Are you able to leave the vent up while travling I was a concerned with vibration and strut support machanics of it. While having the fan vent cover lower is a plus its not a big plus because our A/C unit is still our highest point.
Thanks All
John
Old 09-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #9

My vent stays open all the time, including traveling. The only time it is closed is when I have the AC on. Depending upon where you put the fan, you can close the vent, put the fan in reverse, and it acts like a ceiling fan. The fan is quiet on the first 4 or 5 speeds, after that it does get loud. But, that will happen with any fan if you want to move a large volume of air. And it will move the air.

Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote