Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Rotted Floor in '07 Shamrock - HELP!

Alright, I've researched the net until my aging eyes bugged outta my head so I'm turning to fellow RV'ers for assistance, suggestions, guidance and resources. The flooring in our '07 Shamrock 25RS has become spongy . . . SERIOUSLY spongy. I located the culprit (cracked luan bordering the slide-outs) and have a plan for repairing those, but rain rolling off the roof and into those cracks has done its' damage so I'm developing a plan to repair the floor. Questions:
1. I have the tools and know-how, but postings regarding "epoxy resins" and dangerous chemicals are causing me concern. Will I be utilizing such supplies?
2. Do I need to plan on removing the interior frames attached to the flooring, i.e. dinette, partitions, floor cabinets etc., or can I work around them?
3. Can I (or should I even consider) replacing the vinyl flooring with short-nap indoor/outdoor carpet or stick with the vinyl?
4. Would I be better off attaching a large lightning rod to the dadgum trailer and hoping an "act of God" will satisfy the insurance claim?!? (That's a joke, folks . . . I'm an insurance fraud investigator and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. Well, wait a minute . . . . .)

Some insight and guidance would be deeply appreciated. I live in the South so the climate is favorable for repair during the winter, the RV is parked adjacent to my home and all tools/power supply/resources are readily accessible. I just need input.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Forest River Shamrock 255 QSB Dual Slide
ROLL TIDE ROLL
rider248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider248 View Post
Alright, I've researched the net until my aging eyes bugged outta my head so I'm turning to fellow RV'ers for assistance, suggestions, guidance and resources. The flooring in our '07 Shamrock 25RS has become spongy . . . SERIOUSLY spongy. I located the culprit (cracked luan bordering the slide-outs) and have a plan for repairing those, but rain rolling off the roof and into those cracks has done its' damage so I'm developing a plan to repair the floor. Questions:
1. I have the tools and know-how, but postings regarding "epoxy resins" and dangerous chemicals are causing me concern. Will I be utilizing such supplies?
2. Do I need to plan on removing the interior frames attached to the flooring, i.e. dinette, partitions, floor cabinets etc., or can I work around them?
3. Can I (or should I even consider) replacing the vinyl flooring with short-nap indoor/outdoor carpet or stick with the vinyl?
4. Would I be better off attaching a large lightning rod to the dadgum trailer and hoping an "act of God" will satisfy the insurance claim?!? (That's a joke, folks . . . I'm an insurance fraud investigator and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. Well, wait a minute . . . . .)

Some insight and guidance would be deeply appreciated. I live in the South so the climate is favorable for repair during the winter, the RV is parked adjacent to my home and all tools/power supply/resources are readily accessible. I just need input.

Thanks in advance for the responses.
i would definitely go with #4
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #3

you already know the answers you need. the better result will require the more thorough repair. do it right, do it once get back to camping. as far as resins and such, proper ventilation, respirators from the local automotive paint store and you should be good to go. good luck, post the process if only pictures....we like pictures.
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider248 View Post
Alright, I've researched the net until my aging eyes bugged outta my head so I'm turning to fellow RV'ers for assistance, suggestions, guidance and resources. The flooring in our '07 Shamrock 25RS has become spongy . . . SERIOUSLY spongy. I located the culprit (cracked luan bordering the slide-outs) and have a plan for repairing those, but rain rolling off the roof and into those cracks has done its' damage so I'm developing a plan to repair the floor. Questions: 1. I have the tools and know-how, but postings regarding "epoxy resins" and dangerous chemicals are causing me concern. Will I be utilizing such supplies? 2. Do I need to plan on removing the interior frames attached to the flooring, i.e. dinette, partitions, floor cabinets etc., or can I work around them? 3. Can I (or should I even consider) replacing the vinyl flooring with short-nap indoor/outdoor carpet or stick with the vinyl? 4. Would I be better off attaching a large lightning rod to the dadgum trailer and hoping an "act of God" will satisfy the insurance claim?!? (That's a joke, folks . . . I'm an insurance fraud investigator and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing. Well, wait a minute . . . . .) Some insight and guidance would be deeply appreciated. I live in the South so the climate is favorable for repair during the winter, the RV is parked adjacent to my home and all tools/power supply/resources are readily accessible. I just need input. Thanks in advance for the responses.
My brother recently replaced his damaged floor.

Regarding #1 - possible with the epoxy resins. He had an area that was repairable with a wood hardener. You'll need to assess what's beyond repair and judge from there to repair with an epoxy, or replace with new subfloor material.

#2 - it depends, does the damage go below cabinets, interior frames, etc. In his case he had to strip out the rear of the TT to repair the damage. Removing interior elements may make the job easier, versus working around.

#3 - he reused the vinyl. In his case the vinyl was under cabinets and dinette, which further supports getting them out of your way.

Good luck!

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #5

What subfloor thickness did you use ?
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #6

I would gut the inside and replace them wood with a marine grade plywood. Replace the any mold material.and were it goes to the exterior walls epoxy or fiberglass with resin. It's going to be a big under taking. But the correct repair is the best way. You may want to inspect the walls and ceiling for black mold. If it's there. You may want to consider it a total loss.
jimmyt11664 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shamrock