Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

RV Awning Drop

With summer camping just around the corner we are looking at adding an awning drop to our TT awning. Other than taking it down when the wind picks up and at night, what are the other pros and cons? We are looking at Sunpro Protex 85% (RV Awning Drapes and Drops), anyone with knowledge or experience with this product? Any other product recommendations?

Thanks!
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #2

Yes,J&J sunshades & mats,Lake Wales,Fla. Liftime Warr. Family owned,great products! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #3

Thanks Youroo, here is their website rvmat.com | Home Page, I'll give them a call.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #4

Shade for awning

We bought a 17" front and a side shade here (Shadepro on ebay)...
Good Quality. Haven't used yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
With summer camping just around the corner we are looking at adding an awning drop to our TT awning. Other than taking it down when the wind picks up and at night, what are the other pros and cons? We are looking at Sunpro Protex 85% (RV Awning Drapes and Drops), anyone with knowledge or experience with this product? Any other product recommendations?

Thanks!

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

Just purchased this one

Just purchased one of these on sale last week for $24.95 (This size and color only)... Have not had a chance to try it out, but the price was right with all the accessories.

Black RV Awning shade Complete Kit 8‘ x 17‘ at RVToyOutlet.com

2008 Silverado EXtCab 6.0 Vortex Max
2010 Forest River Surveyor SV-294
Equalizer 1000 WD/SC hitch
Prodigy Brake Controller
nowait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #6

Wow! Great deal. I'd like to know how it works out. Happy Camping!

mooneybeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #7

I have the sun shade also works great. I'm toying with the idea of rolling it up with my awning. Then when I unroll awning its threaded on and all I have to do is tie it down with its strings. Any one rolling them up in awning?
toobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Bought an awning drop to use with our powered awning while we were in Tampa. Sun was an issue since it was on the side with the door most of the day and low enough that it was too bright until late afternoon.

Well, we loved it. It is staked to the ground using bungee cords and allows the awning to move if the wind blew up. Everyone around us had theirs staked down and seemed not to have problems.

Well one day we had a wind blow in and before we could get out and take it all apart, the awning was flapping pretty hard. Now the retractable arm on the left side does not lay flat when the awning is retracted.

I have not had much time to inspect the roller end on that side, but I suspect the bearing has moved outward from the stress on the flapping awning and roller.

I will still carry it for times when we are forced to camp in a south facing site but will be more circumspect about taking it down when we don't need it.

As to keeping it on the roller, I would not. I doubt the arms would be anywhere near flat to the side with a nearly double load of awning material.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Well one day we had a wind blow in and before we could get out and take it all apart, the awning was flapping pretty hard. Now the retractable arm on the left side does not lay flat when the awning is retracted.
Sunpro (RV Awning Drapes and Drops), offers a model with a zipper that separates the sunshade in two pieces for those moments that you must bring the awning in a hurry. It is a $65 option, but like some would probably attest to, one awning repair would easily exceed that amount!

As to rolling the sunshade in with the awning, I would also say no. Even with the zippered sunshade, the manufacturer's website states only in emergency situations should one roll in the sunshade (and not even the whole sunshade but only the smaller upper piece) with the awning.

I think from the responses received it is a worthwhile investment. So now it is onto the chief decorator (DW) for color selection and final approval, then back to me for purchase.

Here is a picture of what the zippered sunshade looks like,
Old 04-22-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

My problem was the electric awning mechanism.

The folks that just staked out their awnings had the stiff arm type and they used tie down straps to screw in anchors.

The electric awning folks can't do that because it bends the suspension/folding mechanism if the awning can't move at all.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My problem was the electric awning mechanism.

The folks that just staked out their awnings had the stiff arm type and they used tie down straps to screw in anchors.

The electric awning folks can't do that because it bends the suspension/folding mechanism if the awning can't move at all.
Ok I understand, and I have already learned that having the convenience of an electric awning has its drawbacks.

In conclusion, sunshade = good, opened electric awning plus wind = no good.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
In conclusion, sunshade = good, opened electric awning plus wind = no good.
That about sums it up.

Tags
awning