Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 12:03 AM   #21

Over on the Jayco Owners forum there is a new member who made his own stabalizers and swore they made his trailer stable. Since his first post numerous members have copied his design. It's posted with pics under the first general set of topics. I was going to buy the JTs and now I don't have to. The design is similar to the bumper mounted one. A wooden 2x4 that is about 35 inches long is turned sideways and tucked up under the end of each frame rail and tethered together by a ratchet strap. I was totally surprised on how simple and elegant this was. Best 20 dollar mod yet as far as I'm concerned. Give it a try.
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:35 AM   #22

I put just the scissor jacks in front of the forward axle, as close as possible to the tires. Along with the four corner scissors, and nothing else, I can't feel any movement or bouncing. All the jacks have 12x12" "wall scuff" pads permanently mounted. I run the jacks down with a Makita until I get the torque release. Then, add 1.5 turns with the standard handle tool. Using the drill torque release assures me there is equal pressure on each jack.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #23

This past weekend we were camping again, this time I tried tightening the scissor jacks down a bit more to see if that would help with the shaking, it didn't. So last night I decided that I have had enough of the movement and I ordered the Steadyfast stabilizers, it shipped today and FedEx tracking shows that it should be here on Friday so I am hoping to install them this weekend.

I also looked at how I could mount 2 more scissor jacks just in front of the front axle and I think I have come up with a way to mount the door side jack even with the gas pipe running along the frame rail on this side.

I am hoping that between another pair of scissor jacks and the SteadyFast kit that my shaking will greatly diminish. I will report back with my findings after our next trip which is about a month away.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #24

Ditto

I bought three of them. One under each set of steps and on on the frame inside of the slide. They did the trick at a reasonable price.
2015 Ram Big Horn
RETCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #25

Trying to decide between the Lippert JT Strong Arm or the Steadyfast system. They both seem to be pretty well designed. Has anyone had both and has an opinion? thanks.

Exlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I put just the scissor jacks in front of the forward axle, as close as possible to the tires. Along with the four corner scissors, and nothing else, I can't feel any movement or bouncing. All the jacks have 12x12" "wall scuff" pads permanently mounted. I run the jacks down with a Makita until I get the torque release. Then, add 1.5 turns with the standard handle tool. Using the drill torque release assures me there is equal pressure on each jack.
Forgot to post the pictures. Prior to attaching the pads to the jacks the trailer was very stable but I could still feel a little movement when someone walked around. With the pads installed it's now rock solid. I can't feel any movement at all

Old 08-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #27

This past weekend was our first trip since installing the Steadyfast kit. WOW!

The install took about 3 hrs, it would have been less if I wouldn't have sat and scratched my head a couple times. I ended up calling Paul (the owner and creator of Steadyfast) because of a couple questions about bracket placement due to the LP line and stairs being a PITA, he was more than willing to answer the questions I had and seemed to be a very nice guy. After the call everything went very smooth.

Once we were at the campground and sent up my wife, who couldn't believe I spent almost $300 on this, was very pleased with outcome. I would say about 80% of the shaking is gone. On our camper it is 29 ft between the front and rear scissor jacks, I hope to get rid of more movement once I install scissor jacks in front of the axles. But that will be a project for next spring since Labor Day weekend is our last trip for the year.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:35 PM   #28
2604WS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphie View Post
Over on the Jayco Owners forum there is a new member who made his own stabalizers and swore they made his trailer stable. Since his first post numerous members have copied his design. It's posted with pics under the first general set of topics. I was going to buy the JTs and now I don't have to. The design is similar to the bumper mounted one. A wooden 2x4 that is about 35 inches long is turned sideways and tucked up under the end of each frame rail and tethered together by a ratchet strap. I was totally surprised on how simple and elegant this was. Best 20 dollar mod yet as far as I'm concerned. Give it a try.
Murphie, could you post a link to the discussion. Went over and looked but couldn't find it.

Thanks
Kirk
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restcure View Post
As we often do we're venturing south of the border into NY state to camp this coming weekend, and we'll be picking up a couple of these Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizers from the MyUSAddress warehouse where they're waiting for us.

I'll report back afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I hope they work better for you- I found no difference with one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
we just purchased our second set of these and they work... thus the second set.
Quote:
Good to hear. We had to cancel last weekend's trip but we'll be heading to the same park on labour day weekend and will pick up the stabilizers then.

Last trip I asked DW to try walking in the trailer while I lay in bed. She walked to the back of the trailer then side-stepped back to the front. Regular walking was much more keenly felt, which suggests to me that I place the stabilizers laterally instead of longitudinally.

We shall see!
Success!

We arrived at Robert Moses SP in NY on Friday night and on Saturday morning we drove to the MyUSAddress location in Ogdensburg and picked up our (7!) packages, including the Valterra stabilizers.

We bought our trailer used. The previous owners had had some sort of rack mounting assembly welded to the bottom of the frame at the rear, include some 1" square tubing cross members. I placed the first stabilizer under there.

When done I asked my dear wife to join me in the trailer. She rested on the bed while I walked back and forth and side to side. She was amazed at how much jiggle was removed. We changed positions and I was similarly impressed. I'd say about 80% of the movement was gone.

I put the second set underneath the stairs where they mount to the frame. They did not have much of an effect on the overall stability of the trailer but they completely eliminated the springboard effect felt when someone enters or exits the trailer.

We're sold!

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #30

Quote:
As we often do we're venturing south of the border into NY state to camp this coming weekend, and we'll be picking up a couple of these Valterra 020106 RV Stabilizers from the MyUSAddress warehouse where they're waiting for us.

I'll report back afterwards.
We use these . I have three of them. They do a very good job keeping things steady with out two boys and charcoal lab running around. But they are a bit of a pain to install and take down. Especially, if they get wet and dirty. But overall, they do work.

Tags
stabilizers