Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2016, 05:50 PM   #1

Safery mod

I have a '15 Coachmen Freedom Express 310 BHDS. Notice to all who own a similar unit, read this. When I bought the unit I didn't notice the problem then when I found the problem I called the selling dealer, got the selling person and explained to him what had happened. He called me back a few hours later to tell me that he had gone out on the lot and inspected all of their similar units and had found the problem and that they would be correcting the problem before selling any other units. The problem: When the bath door swings open and goes past 90 degrees, with the bunk slide open, the door swings into the bunk room just a bit. Then IF you were to have your back to the inside of the opened bath door and IF you were to reach back to close the door with you left hand you would be pulling the door towards you and the front of the unit. But--the gap between the opened bath door and the non-movable wall of the bunk slide becomes very close, less than 3/8". I had reached back to close the door and had pulled rather fast and caught my left hand between the bath door and the non-movable wall. For me this hurt, really bad. I had broken all four of my fingers in an accident some years back and have a metal plate in my long, or middle, finger. This tight gap caught my fingers and literally locked then into this gap. That bad finger hurt really bad. So what did I do about this? There is a pocket door for the rear bunk slide and at the top of the opening, when the door is open, there is a piece of wood approximately two inches (2") in height which hides the track for the pocket door. I changed out this piece of wood with a piece of 1 x 4, which would actually be 3 1/2" in height and added one of those spring rubber tipped door stops to catch the bath door and prevent it from going past that point. Now there is no way one could catch their hand in this area. The photos may not be the best but I hope they show the mod. Did I actually type "Safery" for the title, yep I did. Of course it should have been "Safety".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161003_155834817[1].jpg
Views:	191
Size:	198.3 KB
ID:	122164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161003_155851501[1].jpg
Views:	217
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	122165  
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote