Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #21
Always Learning

It is definite a "to each his own". I do hope you provide pictures and let us know if you have to account for any challenges (brake lights AND turn signals or anything).
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #22

Coach Lites

My broken down 2001 2500HD did not come with them, got $20.00 bucks invested in my coach LED Side Marker Turn Signals, leaves me $230.00 to buy beer for Turbo and you towards you and me a new truck....take care neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
X3 on the mirror turn signal lights and I sure didn't pay 40K for my broken down Silverado. Did pay $250 for the power extend mirrors with the turn signals in them tho'.
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 PM   #23

Good idea, Kicker. Most tractor-trailers and most motor coaches are now required to have them, as are (at least in Missouri) school buses.

(Missouri Minimum Standards for School Buses: Buses shall be equipped with amber side-mounted turn-signal lamps. The turn-signal lamp on the left side shall be mounted rearward of the front stop-signal arm, and the turn-signal lamp on the right side shall be mounted rearward of the entrance door.)

I would think the RV manufacturers might want to consider this low-cost addition, even if they made it an option, for safety reasons. I would have gladly paid a few extra bucks for mid-ship mounted turn signals on my Windjammer.

2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Recently while exiting from the expressway, a fifth wheel coach driver did not see the corvette in the lane next to him. The corvette did not know either that the camper and truck had his turn signals on indicating he was changing lanes, yes it was raining and visibility was terrible, the Corvette continued on, right next to the coach, when the coach and tow truck changed lanes, well you know the rest, and yes both occupants of the corvette were killed.
If making this small investment to my coach, just maybe this kind of accident will not happen to me or someone else.
Do what you like, just an idea in the name of safety:
Seems to me that the rv driver needs to realize that just because the flashers are activated for a lane change does not entitle he or she to have the right of way. If this actually happened I believe the rv driver would have been held accountable. Got to clear those blind spots before making a move. Can't announce here I come, get out of my way. I'm done.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:15 PM   #25
Denver, CO

Great idea, and why not use the existing signal at the back of the trailer and feed it forward, using the gizmo posted to separate the brake signal.

My truck has the mirror lights so I don't need to. but it's not a bad idea.

Lighten up (pun) on the others tho. Anyone who drives next to a fifth wheel for any time, isn't using defensive driving techniques very well, and in those conditions the side blinker may not have done anything anyway.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:43 PM   #26
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
My broken down 2001 2500HD did not come with them, got $20.00 bucks invested in my coach LED Side Marker Turn Signals, leaves me $230.00 to buy beer for Turbo and you towards you and me a new truck....take care neil
Or, you could have invested the $20.00 in rearview mirror signals that can be seen from the rear of the camper all the way up to the mirror itself!

CIPA Universal Turn Signal Mirror Module - JCWhitney

Here's another for $31.00, but I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work:
Muth Signal Mirror Upgrades - JCWhitney

I never said your idea wasn't any good. Just that there is, IMO a better location for such a signal.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:48 PM   #27
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Seems to me that the rv driver needs to realize that just because the flashers are activated for a lane change does not entitle he or she to have the right of way. If this actually happened I believe the rv driver would have been held accountable. Got to clear those blind spots before making a move. Can't announce here I come, get out of my way. I'm done.
Yes, ultimately the operator of the vehicle changing lanes is responsible for safely executing the manuever. However, I don't believe the OP's purpose is to relieve himself of responsibility, but to enhance the visibility of his intentions to other drivers so they can respond to the situation as necessary.
I was runover on motorcycles 5 times in 48 years or so of riding by people in cars. Invariably, the first thing they said was "I didn't see you!" Which made me feel much better, knowing they weren't actually trying to kill me.
Anyway, the point is, even though we "always look", we don't always "see", and additional items that might help others know we are about to pull a boner can come in handy.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #28

I see this as an added benefit to improve overall safety. I have a 43' 5er and mirrors with the turn signals built in, but another mid-ship indicator on the 5er would be nice to have. Keep us posted and how you did it. I also have changed out my crappy dim lights to all LED including the brake lights and that was a nice improvement during daylight as well as night.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #29

So what's the problem with brake lights coming on ?. That might also warn the driver in the next lane something is going on ahead.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #30

The problem I had with my brake light was when applied the left side would be very dim and draw all the rear lights down, the running light was brighter than the brake. So I bought LED replacements. When I took apart the brake light, someone from the factory jammed the 1157 bulb in the wrong way causing the voltage to mess up. I already had the new ones so I installed the LED and much better I'd say.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:59 PM   #31

Purchased Mirror Add ON's

#One, these are very cheap and are not built to last, which makes them very unreliable for the long run. Also, hate all this excess wiring running in and out of places where it wasn't suppose too. I am a purest on wiring and not having just anywhere. Still believe having just one light a car level height on the side of MY coach is the way to go and something that is vey simple to do. What about some LED's in your truck bed, tried or seen that lately, the new 2014 GMS trucks comes already with the lights, extremely good idea, mine are going in the same time:
thanks for you In-Put

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Or, you could have invested the $20.00 in rearview mirror signals that can be seen from the rear of the camper all the way up to the mirror itself!

CIPA Universal Turn Signal Mirror Module - JCWhitney

Here's another for $31.00, but I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work:
Muth Signal Mirror Upgrades - JCWhitney

I never said your idea wasn't any good. Just that there is, IMO a better location for such a signal.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #32

I have turn signal lights on my mirrors and I feel that extra signal light midway on the trailer is a good idea. IMHO
2006 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab/Duramax Diesel/Allison Transmission
Salmon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:26 PM   #33

Point Made

The new trucks that I am fortunate to drive everyday have the turn signal rear view mirror lights, I do like that very much, but right now spending a bunch of money for a new truck is not in our budget. Besides, having the turn signal right down there on the coach makes more sense to me. Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, We all have options....kickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Hunter View Post
I have turn signal lights on my mirrors and I feel that extra signal light midway on the trailer is a good idea. IMHO
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-19-2014, 04:39 PM   #34
ME

I would like a simple way to add a indicator to mirror and maybe one or two on the side I can't imagine LED take much wattge to be z concern to splice in
Old 01-19-2014, 04:57 PM   #35

Kits

There are some kits available that offer that option to you, and not they draw probably 1/4 of the voltage as a regular light bulb. Try ebay first, I tto will look there for you, if I find something, I've seen that before, I can send that information to you:
kickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1032 View Post
I would like a simple way to add a indicator to mirror and maybe one or two on the side I can't imagine LED take much wattge to be z concern to splice in
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #36

LED Mirror Ad On's

Just found these on Ebay, like 12.99, no shipping charges, will work on any vehicle, not a bad price:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks1032 View Post
Attached Images

1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 01-19-2014, 06:51 PM   #37
ME

Those look cool a additional led for the mirror would finish it off!

Tags
safety