Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sure is the same thing- the comment is "Try backing up", implying that it's not possible (or if it is, it's extraordinarily hard).

That is exactly the same as my understanding of motorhomes pulling a car with 4-wheels down - they cannot backup at all. If they have to, they have to disconnect the toad, move it out of the way and then backup.

So again, why do we instantly go to "Try backing up" when double-towing is mentioned when motorhomes pulling toads 4-down have the same problem? Why don't we see the motorhome forum filled with "ha! you'll be in trouble if you ever have to backup!" when people talk about towing a toad (again, 4-wheels down)?
True, i see what your saying.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
True, i see what your saying.
It's just been an interesting observation for me. I can't imagine double-towing and at my length (already at 58 1/2'), it's just not possible due to length laws and my inexperience.

But, it does seem like a lot of people have been able to dial in their tongue weights and setups to be able to do it safely.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #23

I think it's a great setup! As someone mentioned to me if there weren't people out there willing to push the boundaries we wouldn't ever have come up with electricity, boats or Tow vehicles to begin with!

Double/Triples can and are being pulled safely all of the country with both trailers being bumper pulls! I don't think everyone should be doing it but there are people that have the mind set and the ability to do it and to do it safely!

We don't need dumb comments like "try backing it up" posted on sites like these! he was simply showing what he has created!

For your information the whole thing CAN be backed up! No it probably can't be done quickly or for long distances but it CAN be done! To me it takes more pre planning to make the stops at bcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy with the idea already in your head that you probably don't want to be backing up! Comments like that irritate me! As far as ependydads comparison he is spot on! It is pretty much sinful to put a motor home with a toad behind in reverse without first unhooking the toad due to the difficulty.

theres a link of a semi backing up doubles... It's going to look like he is all over the place but what he is doing is getting his mirrors far enough to the sides to see where the tail end is!

Simply put let's not criticize the things we don't understand... Facts like 40lbs on the back removing 15 lbs of tongue weight is pertinent. "try backing it up" is just being an @$$...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #24

Salem bumper mod

This is the main reason I did the mod. Works well for me, free up space in bed of tv. As to backing up just don't get in a situation, if I was to I would just drop bt and proceed on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130802_215529.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	36748  

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
daydreaming about camping

On our recent trip to Colorado I believe we saw upwards of 50 people pulling double trailers. The majority were 3/4 or 1 ton trucks pulling 5ers with a flatbed utility trailer loaded with dirt bikes or ATV/UTV's behind that. The smaller trailers are most likely not visible behind those large 5ers or toyhaulers.

I saw a few people pulling 5ers with a Jeep flat towed behind the 5er. This one I thought was interesting...

I also saw several people with F150's pulling doubles. Including one guy who was pulling what looked like a 28 ft Grey Wolf with a 24 ft pontoon boat behind.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #26
Broken Toe

Backing up a double is easy. I used to do it all the time. take your hand and put it on top of the steering wheel. Move your hand to whatever side you want the last trailer to go. Simple! You just need to go slow, and remember that little movements of the wheel can translate to big movements of the trailers after a few seconds.

I guarantee you that the trailers will 'get away from you' the first time. Practice on a big parking lot and you will learn to put in a small amount of steering and then wait for it to take affect as you back. You will also learn when to put in opposite steering to stabilize everything.

You see the luggage carts at the airport? I used to drive something very similar with up to 7 trailers. With odd numbers, you put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, with even numbers you put your hand on top.

Don't tell someone they cant do something just because you think its impossible.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salem